1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Daily Commute

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by minime, Jan 24, 2006.

1. minime

minime New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just thought I'd share some info about my commute with my new 2006 Prius.

I start at an elevation of 7000 ft and drop down to 5300 in 4.6 miles. Next, it is flat for 3.2 miles.

I average about 90-95 mpg going to work. The battery gets fully charged by the time I hit the bottom of the hill.

Too bad I can't get the same mpg on the way home. :)

On the way home, I get around 16-20 mpg and the battery charge is about gone by the time I reach home at 7000 feet. At times, the grade is so steep I'm averaging 8-12 mpg.

It's a blast trying to eke out as much mpg as I can each way.

I do have one question...

Most of the way down the hill I'm pegged at the max 99.9 mpg on the display but I'm probably getting more than that at times. I haven't done the math but do the calculations on the energy consumption screen take into account the real mpg over 99.9 or is it maxed at 99.9 as well?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I believe the total average reported in the Consumption screen is an actual "total miles" divided by "total gallons" meaning that regardless of what's shown on the energy screen, the average will be close-to-accurate. Don't let the one screen throw you off when thinking about the other.

You might have already noticed that when your battery is pegged with 8 bars your engine will run and "burn off" some charge. If you haven't noticed this yet, you will eventually. I've never experienced this personally but others here have reported it.

That is one lopsided commute by the way. At least it's not uphill both ways!