1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Daughter Wants to Buy an SUV

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bee13, May 9, 2007.

1. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 26-year old daughter recently stunned my wife and me at the dinner table while talking about escalating fuel prices. She unflinchingly announced that she wants to buy an SUV, regardless of fuel cost. I was floored. Upon further questioning it became apparent that IMAGE was 100% behind her vehicle choice. She's currently driving a 2002 Honda Civic and getting good economy but wants to "trade up" to something flashier that projects more of a power image.

Unbelievable...

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Suggest she get a Hummer. Tell her to find the ads on YouTube. No self esteem, I'm sorry to say.

Or maybe she's going for that Beck vibe: "I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me."

I'm realy sorry, probably just childish (at 26?) rebellion.

3. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have read that women feel 'safer' in SUV's as opposed to other vehicles. Power image huh? SUV sure screams 'uses lots of fuel'. To me, Prius says it all. :)

4. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bee13 @ May 8 2007, 08:29 PM) [snapback]438066[/snapback]</div>
    And you think men are compensating for something. She's 26.

You could show her the Gladwell article about how the SUV facade, or let her live and learn. No better teacher in life.

5. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm surprised to hear that from the SLC region - I generally picture the area and local mindset to be of health, the outdoors and ecology. That has to hurt especially in the context of your conversation.

6. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wanted an SUV (i'm 27) up until about 2 months ago when I realized i can fit all my crap in the Prius, so why spend the extra $$ and get something that sucks...gas

7. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ May 9 2007, 05:14 AM) [snapback]438139[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for posting that article link. I'd never read that before and, frankly, was still laboring under the misinformation that SUVs were likely to be better in accidents. I also thought they were more likely to injure others (still true) but didn't know they were themselves less safe due to their box-frame design and low manuverability.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bee13 @ May 8 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]438066[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe she wants to spend more time at home with the SUV parked.

Bob Wilson

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Compromise: let her get the Hybrid Mercury Mariner! ;) :)

10. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Colorado is a great place to witness the SUV in poor traction scenario. Every time we get a good snow there are always a good number of vehicles stranded on the side of the road. There are always a fair number of trucks and SUVs (they are well represented in this state) on the side of the road. Quite often they're on their side or rolled over. I've never seen a car rolled over in 7 years of living here.

11. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ May 9 2007, 01:04 PM) [snapback]438339[/snapback]</div>
    I was driving back from a skiing trip in Colorado. I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee run off the side of the road, hit an embankment, and flip over. Scary. I think those guys drive more recklessly because they think their vehicle is immune from the laws of physics!

12. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 9 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]438370[/snapback]</div>
    Dallas does not have snow and ice much, but many of these guys go 70mph anyway, then moments later are either on their side or even upside down. :blink:

I highly recommend you go to www.amazon.com and lookup Keith Bradshier's The High and Mighty. I've infuriated a number of poseurs on what he says about both the safety and motivations for getting SUVs. Far from a shrill, he writes it intelligently, detailing how they are unsafe, how advertisers intentionally made them beastly...

http://www.wnyc.org/books/9444

13. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ May 9 2007, 09:41 AM) [snapback]438314[/snapback]</div>
    And though you're smiling, that's no joke. Any hybrid has to be better than a standard SUV.

Dave M.

14. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 9 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]438370[/snapback]</div>
    That's the gist of it.

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bee13 @ May 9 2007, 12:29 AM) [snapback]438066[/snapback]</div>
    i would say she bee 26 but that would be bad.

if it is her money - gas, oil, tires, payments, insurance, etc - than so be it. Why cant she? My 24 y/o daughter just got a RAV4 - great car - in fact out neighbors daughter had one up until 2 weeks ago - i am sure it saved her life in that accident - if she were in a prius - i really do not know if she would have walked away with airbag burns and shoulder strap marks....

in fact, for a 26 year old female - a "small" SUV might be the safest option. everyone else is driving minvans, large suv's - it is a matter of mass and location of bumpers in an accident - how much of a disadvantage do you want your daughter to be at in an accident. being 26 I am not sure how much driving experience she has but that has to play a role in the decision making process. also if you need AWD or not where she lives.

let her live it up - she has worked hard, takes pride in her accomplishments to date ... support her in her decision - let her know you might have some reservations and why ... but you have to trust you kid .... and you cant stop her anyway if it is her $'s

i like the fact she talks to you.

16. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 9 2007, 01:38 PM) [snapback]438462[/snapback]</div>
    If that were true then huge SUVs would be the safest vehicles out there. They're not, in fact they're more dangerous to you and others than many mid size cars. If she wants safety, she should buy a minivan.

Good observation. That's worth mentioning.

17. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aside from the cost of fuel, the other big reason for going hybrid would be cleaner air...

As far as safety, the tipping and safety issues with SUVs in general are basically measured in small increments. The people who have the most problems are generally those who perceive an added layer of safety and as such tend to drive faster than they should in a variety of conditions and have little fear or respect for vehicles with a taller center of gravity. The bottom line is a heavier and more solid vehicle is often less likely to cause injury to it's occupants in a crash scenario, all other factors being equal.

A small vehicle with a discreet and well installed roll bar with side arms constructed to allow easy access to the seats is about as safe as you can get. For my Camaro there is a place that bulds these specifically for my vehicle so swing outs are not required. With the standard seats in a four point welded configuration with the main hoop the proper distance from the driver head rear seat access is maintained and access in and out is as easy as a stock vehicle and immensely more robust than the way it came from the factory.

However at age 26 your daughter needs and deserves to experience life as she sees fit. If an SUV is her dream then I would suggest allowing her to get it out of her system. My 30 year old sister-in -law has a Jeep Cherokee SUV and she hates the ride, the poor gas mileage, and the expense of dealer repairs. She is now looking for something nicer and less expensive to drive and maintain. I'm thinking there may be a Camry hybrid or Prius in her future but without learning the hard way she would likely not be considering these vehicles. As a father I'm sure you already know all about leading a horse to water... ;)

18. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would tell her to go for it, in no uncertain terms...and to buy absolutely as much vehicle as she can afford the monthly payments on.

I'd also suggest not worrying about the total cost of the vehicle, just the amount of each payment.

In fact, why not encourage her to buy MORE vehicle than she can afford at this moment! She should take a tip from all the folks who got ARM's; after all, she'll soon be making significantly more money than she does now, and making those payments soon won't be a problem for her.

Also, she won't want to have to trade up to another even bigger and flashier vehicle in the near future (you know, with depreciation and all).

It's tough --and expensive-- being status conscious!

Clearly, at 26, she still needs to be taught a lesson or two about the value of money. Better now than later, when she can do even more damage to her finances and won't have as much time left to fix it.

-----

Dr Berman, I'm a bit disappointed--the crux of your argument is that, if one can afford something, then one has the right to buy and waste it? Surely that's not what you mean...?

19. just_marci

just_marci New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bee13 @ May 8 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]438066[/snapback]</div>
    Looking like an SUV-driving suburban soccer mom is power?

:blink:

Whatever...

20. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe it, and definitely understand the image thing. As a 25 year old (albeit a male) I can tell you that she's more than likely going to resist direct attempts to disuade her. She may be more receptive than the rest of us, but we 20-somethings have a penchant for listening to what our parents say and thinking "Ahh, OK. The opposite must be right!" It's got nothing to do with logic, just a "going my own way" kinda thing. Depends heavily on the individual, of course.

Unfortunately I don't know what the solution is other than hope she doesn't bankrupt herself. Maybe help her look at better options, like an Escape Hybrid or TCH.