1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My dealer patched my tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Graz, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Everyone!

I have been reading posts on the forum over the last few days that came up when I searched for "Tires". I haven't seen anything like my issue.

My 05 has not been maintained by anyone other than my dealer. I suspect that all they have done is the recommended maintenance, but I haven't really read the invoices very well. However, I find that I now have a tire that looses pressure. I have a compressor and I keep all of my tires at 45psi. However one of them does not hold pressure. Every couple of days I have to refill it.

I took it to a Discount Tire store and they pulled it off of the wheel and inspected it. They told me that there is nothing wrong until I looked and saw a plug in the tread section from the inside of the tire. The tech seemed surprised. Then agreed that this was the most probably reason I was loosing pressure.

So now I am considering a confrontation with the dealer's service department. If they are going to rotate the tires, and check the pressure, then patch one of them. Shouldn't they be responsible to patch it effectively to hold the psi that is recommended?

I have all of the warranties, even the extended. Do I have any complaint against them? Should they replace the tire?

Thanks for any assistance!

2. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Graz @ Dec 30 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]368742[/snapback]</div>

They don't owe you a new tire unless they patched it because they damaged the tire themselves. If they patched it because it came in with a nail in it, be thankful they're looking out for you! You should review your invoices to see when this occurred. You do keep your invoices, don't you?

3. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    If the dealer patched your tire, and you've got all your invoices, then it's on one of those invoices. No dealer does anything for free!

Now they might try fixing things without asking, and then try charging you for it, but fix something for free and not say anything about it? I don't believe it!

4. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Using a patch "plug" is a common quick way to patch a tire. It's not as reliable as a proper patch applied inside the tire, but a plug can be inserted without removing the tire from the rim.

In many cases, a plug can work for the life of the tire.

I agree that it's better that the tech pulled the nail and plugged the tire. It held presure while it was in the shop, which is why he figured he'd solved the problem.

When I had a Ford Explorer in '93, the dealer would have simply written "Tire has a nail...needs to be taken to tire shop."

5. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes! I should have looked at my invoices prior to my post. You motivated me to check them. My last service was in June. at 20587 miles. No mention of patching a tire. No Where! Yes! They did rotate them. But there is NOTHIng that mentions plugging a hole.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Graz @ Dec 30 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]368742[/snapback]</div>
    Unless they've changed it in the '07 (which I doubt) you are supposed to keep 2 psi more in the front tires than in the rear.

I am less certain of this, but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone keeping 45 psi in any of the tires. 42 front and 40 rear is a common figure thrown around, though Toyota recommends quite a bit less.

7. c4

c4 Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Dec 30 2006, 09:24 PM) [snapback]368775[/snapback]</div>

Your terminology is a bit confusing- a "patch plug", ie, a patch and plug integrated together (looks sort of like an umbrella or a mushroom) is the proper repair part for a hole in a radial tire. This patches as well as fills the hole and ensures that the leak is really fixed.. Regular "plugs", which are just a strip of rubber shoved into the hole with a bit of glue typically fail on radial tires for various reasons (typically because it's nearly impossible to get a good bond with such repair, and in a lot of cases because the hole is not dressed properly and the steel belts protrude through the hole and end up cutting the plug in half and allowing the air to leak again)..

8. moolman

moolman Member

Here's a novel idea, you can't prove they did the repair and they have no proof that you didn't do it.

So don't be such a wuss, suck it up and friggin pay $10 or less to repatch the tire properly. The guy at Discount Tire should of done it for you. Some tire places will even patch your tire for you for FREE, ie. American's Tire Co.

Problems solved. Life goes on and enjoy the car.

I would bet that the tire patch was done properly but the 45psi, way over the recommended for the tire made it leak. Your fault. :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Graz @ Dec 30 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]368742[/snapback]</div>
    Before you go off on the dlr. go through your receipts and find the one you're referencing if it exists. Next, call the dlr. and respectfully find out if & when they repaired your tire. I had a factory tire on my Accord that always lost air pressure from day 1. Nobody could find any problem with the tire so I just added air once or twice a week using my compressor.

When it was time for new skins the problem went away. I didn't think it was a big deal to begin with. Both the Honda dlr. & Tire Kingdom told me the same thing- possibly leakage around the rim seal. I would not go off on the dlr. if I was a regular customer. I would make inquiries in a calm and cool manner.

10. nicoss

nicoss New Member

Just a warning: In California it is illegal to patch a tire leak with a plug (from the outside) it must be done with a patch from inside the tire. :)

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    On my Prius now I have two tires with internal patches following nail or screw holes. Both are holding pressure well even though I use pressures very close to the max sidewall rating. A well-patched tire will not leak. A patched tire that does leak needs to be replaced. If the patching was done with a plug (which is no longer the industry best practice), it may be that you could get the guilty party to foot the bill.

12. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Graz @ Dec 30 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]368742[/snapback]</div>
    Oh my. Let me see if I have this straight.

Somewhere along the line, your dealer patched your tire, but they didn't tell you, and they didn't (presumably) charge you for it. At some time later, your tire would no longer hold pressure, and the Discount Tire Store personnel said the patch is "most probably the reason," but really could find "nothing wrong." Between these two events you believe that you might have a "complaint against them," and are asking "should they replace my tire?"

I have to ask: For what?

I would hope that if you go back to the dealer and complain, that they'll do the correct and honorable thing and say, "Mister, I'm sorry that we tried to do the right thing. It won't happen again, because we would prefer that you take your business elsewhere. We just don't need, or want, this kind of hassle. Have a good day."

Thanks,
    Shawn
    PS I had a tire that wouldn't hold pressure. Took it three places. No leak that anyone could find. Even had it reseated and the valve stem replaced. Still would lose pressure erratically. No one's fault. Just one of those things. I replaced the tire. Done.

13. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok!!!

Whew!!!

I feel successfully smacked!

A little more harshly than I expected from this group! But it is the end of the year, and I guess I needed one more smack-down.

Yes. I think that I should have been told that my tire was plugged.

Yes. I think that the dealer did a crummy (possibly illegal in CA) job of patching my tire.

Yes, I keep my tires may be a little too full of air. My compressor's gauge isn't that accurate in the 30-50 psi range to really get the tire to a specific psi within .01 micro-bar. BTW... The other tires are wearing just fine.

Yes. I have read a LOT of complaints about the longevity of the Goodyear Integrity model tires that 'Yota chose for these cars. I have been reading here about what you all recommend for replacement tires. There are a couple of recommended options for me to choose. Though I don't know how to shop for the highest Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tire on the market for me. - Any suggestions???

I will probably buy two tires when I do buy. I hate mixing tires. I will also probably go to an auto supply shop and get a can of fix a flat. I may be able to get a few K-miles more out of this tire.

Thanks for the attitude adjustment. And any further feedback!

Happy New Year!

14. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nicos @ Dec 31 2006, 08:10 AM) [snapback]368927[/snapback]</div>

Since when? I live in CA, and had a tire plugged a few years ago (3 or 4, I think). It wasn't illegal then.

BTW: that plug held perfectly for a couple of years till I replaced the tire.

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nicos @ Dec 31 2006, 08:10 AM) [snapback]368927[/snapback]</div>
    Can you please cite the relevant code section?

16. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Graz @ Dec 31 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]368987[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. I wouldn't use the can of fix a flat without checking with someone who knows for sure if it would adversely effect the pressure sensor.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Dec 31 2006, 04:00 PM) [snapback]369030[/snapback]</div>
    I think California only lists things that are legal in order to save trees. :blink:

17. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nicos @ Dec 31 2006, 11:10 AM) [snapback]368927[/snapback]</div>
    Hopefully the spare will last long enough to get you to a neighboring state! :)

18. nicoss

nicoss New Member

I had two flats in the past year; both times the tire shop refused to plug stating that they are not allowed to do this anymore, instead they patched from inside. (both repairs were free of charge)

19. woffman

woffman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Graz @ Dec 31 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]368987[/snapback]</div>
    DO NOT USE FIX A FLAT IN A TIRE WITH A PRESSURE SENSOR IN IT!!!!! Sorry about the caps. Fix a flat will destroy the internal components of a tire sensor. The only time I would every think of using the stuff would be in an extreme emergency. Fix a flat will also void any warranty on the tire sensor. At least it does on the ones we sell in the aftermarket. I would check with your dealer and see what they suggest. My guess is they will strongly suggest not using the stuff.

Last time I checked it was about $120 each for a Toyota sensor. Toyota sensors are not currently sold in the aftermarket. Although in about 2 or 3 months there will be a lot more sensors avail thru aftermarket suppliers. Well at least thru my Company. I will take the picture and info off of the other tire sensor thread and see if it is one of the styles going to be avail soon.

20. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tire pressure sensors were not offered as an option in 2005. You all make me jealous. I would have liked the rear view camera, and the mp3 player input too. Can you tell me if the 2006 enabled you to play CD ROM's in the 6 disk changer that were loaded with MP3's? Imagine having access to 1000 songs?