1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My diesel gets better MPG than your hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by slair, Aug 6, 2007.

1. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, so I work at CAT facility so we have tons and tons of cars parked in the lots. I've recently moved so I'm now parking in a different lot. While I was walking in, I noticed this like '96 VW Jetta with a bumper sticker that said "My diesel gets better MPG than your hybrid, take that snooty." That got me thinking, do they seriously think that they do? I did a little bit of research on the MPG they get and they were only talking like 35 city 50 highway. Can anyone verify if the jetta gets better MPG? If its not even close, I'm going to search for everyones best screens and print them out and give them to him.

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, to be fair, his diesel gets better MPG than many hybrids on the market. But it sounds like another of the type who has made up their mind before checking their facts. Hybrids aren't the only way to reduce fossil fuel consumption though. I really should print up several cycling jerseys with holier-than-thou type slogans on them... then see if that gets me run over more frequently!

3. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^ Is that avitar really your car? If so, thats amazing! I never thought of putting my hex color code on it. lmao, thats awesome. Anyways, what kind of MPG do these diesel jettas get?

4. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Aug 6 2007, 07:47 AM) [snapback]491167[/snapback]</div>

He should add "But consumes twice as much oil".

This website http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm is good for comparisons between vehicles. In general, Diesel is a little better but not as good as the Prius. For example this is the oil consumption of the diesel jetta, gas jetta and prius, respectively.

Attached Files:

5. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Glad to see that he has one that runs. My friend bought a 2006 Jetta Diesel and had nothing but problems with it. It was in the shop constantly and VW eventually bought it back from him under the Lemon Law. I have heard that is not at all uncommon.

6. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    'Snooty'

VW drivers aren't snooty?? I know more than a handful of VW drivers call Toyotas "overhyped jap peices of trash" and then explain to me how European cars are superior due to their 'engineering'. I don't think VW drivers have ground to call hybrid drivers snooty.

Do the side by side comparison that Alric points out at www.fueleconomy.gov and you will have the stats to show that the Prius pollutes less, gets better mpg, uses less oil, and is BIGGER than his Jetta. The stats there say that the 96 Jetta with the diesel engine gets 34 city and 44 hwy, while the Prius gets 48 city and 45 hwy. (and don't forget to emphasize that a gallon of diesel requires more oil to produce than a gallon of regular gas) The 2007 Honda Civic also does better than his diesel Jetta in the side by side comparison. I get pretty tired of Diesel enthusiasts trashing hybrids without doing any research into the claims they make. Diesels might become useful, but currently, they aren't as good as hybrids when it comes to pollution or oil consumption.

7. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    European fuel consumption data:

Volkswagen Jetta 1.9TDI 105hp (current model)
    urban: 6,6 l/100km
    extra-urban: 4,5 l/100km
    combined cycle: 5,2 l/100km

Toyota Prius:
    urban: 5,0 l/100km
    extra-urban: 4,2 l/100km
    combined cycle: 4,3 l/100km

Two comments need to be added to this:

1) In real life, many people will find it easier to get lower highway consumption on the Jetta than on the Prius because it is less sensitive to a more aggressive driving style.

2) The Prius is an automatic car and the Jetta is manual. The most fuel-efficient automatic diesel Jetta has:
    urban: 7,4 l/100km
    extra-urban: 4,8 l/100km
    combined cycle: 5,7 l/100km

8. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Also, do a side by side comparison of the 2006 VW Jetta diesel with the Toyota Prius, the air pollution score of the Jetta is an ghastly 1 out of 10!! Holy crap, even a 4 WD 2006 Chevy Suburban gets a 3 out of 10. (the 1996 jetta doesn't have a pollution score, but is probably not any better than the 2006). Make a bumper sticker that reads "Smog Machine" and slap it on his car.

9. RinMI

RinMI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 6 2007, 09:45 AM) [snapback]491187[/snapback]</div>

Don't forget that his diesel may not run all that clean either. Another of the Prius' advantages is that not only does it get excellent fuel economy, amongst current production vehicles it's tailpipe emissions are second only to a natural gas powered vehicle and their greenhouse gas emissions are the lowest I could find.

Tell him it's not just about fuel economy, it's more than that. It's about fuel economy, tailpipe emissions and working toward a goal of being amongst the first generations to leave this earth cleaner than it was when we were born.

10. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've printed both the Jetta and Prius side by side comparisons out, along with a couple of consumption screens you guys have had. I'll be giving it to him during my lunch hour when I go outside again. :)

11. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

here's your answer, this aired last year and is pretty comprehensive and realistic. Select the Hybrid Commuter Challange. Watch to the end were the real diesel vs hybrid answer comes out. Oh and realise that Zack is a total hybrid hatter. Note this was 7 different drivers and the Prius still beat the smog pumper and it's a manual tranny.
    http://drivingtelevision.com/searchbysegments.php?segID=22

12. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Aug 6 2007, 08:47 AM) [snapback]491167[/snapback]</div>
    Jetta TDI vs. Prius. My unscientific comparison

I have both cars and here is my personal experience based on mine and my wife's experience.

2006 Jetta TDA package 0 with 16,000 5 speed
    2007 Prius package #2 with 10,000

City mileage:
    Jetta: 35 MPG
    Prius: 58 MPG using P&G no EBH yet

Highway mileage:
    Jetta: 50 MPG at 60 MPH 45 MPG at 70 MPH
    Prius: 50 MPG at 60 MPH 45 MPG at 70 MPH

Dirver Seating:
    Jetta: Good leg room and seat adjusts up and down
    Prius: Need more leg room and up and down adjust

Comfort:
    Jetta: lumbar adjustment and seat tilt
    Prius: OK

Rear Seating:
    Jetta: Limited rear seat leg room
    Prius: Good rear seat leg room

Acceleration:
    Jetta: Not great but adequate
    Prius: Not as good but adequate

Ride:
    Jetta: Sporty
    Prius: Normal

Reliability:
    Jetta: Not a single problem. Great Car. Wife's primary car
    Prius: Not a single problem. Great Car. My primary car.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Aug 6 2007, 09:22 AM) [snapback]491203[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't hold my breath you'll see any change. This guy loves his car like you love your Prius. You're not going to convince him.

I've got a decal on my car with a gas pump and the Prius city/hwy mileage inside. I let that speak for itself. I also have the "Cool Planet Cool Car" window decal from the Union of Concerned Scientists. (Yes, it finally arrived.)

Of course, you can always park next to him with a "No, it doesn't" bumper sticker.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The 1,200 mile Hybrid-Road-Rally in 2002 proved automatic-transmission diesel didn't actually live up to the reputation often associated with diesels in general.

Of course, even then didn't have high expectations since the smog-related emissions were so much worse anyway. So most of the detail just focused on the hybrids... more info

[​IMG]

15. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bestmapman @ Aug 6 2007, 11:22 AM) [snapback]491238[/snapback]</div>
    Impressive, the jetta seems the better choice. ;)

I have a friend that has a Altima she gets the same MPG than My new 07 Hycam gets, and she paid a lot less than I did.... :mellow:

But oh well I'll just wallow in my Smugness of owning a hybrid :p

16. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RinMI @ Aug 6 2007, 04:14 PM) [snapback]491200[/snapback]</div>
    Amen! Thank you.

17. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Aug 6 2007, 07:47 AM) [snapback]491167[/snapback]</div>
    Fueleconomy.gov gives his 96 Jetta a rating of 34 city, 44 highway. Better than some hybrids, but not better than a Prius.

18. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Manual Transmission? Is that the name of the Mexican worker that signed off on the final QC report for those German vonder cars? Why in the world would I want to waste my time shifting gears manually? I get in my Prius, start it up, then select Drive. No manual shifting, no waiting for a 4-speed auto to finally shift down, just press the accelerator and be thrust foreward.

19. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I actually prefer driving a manual over an automatic. They are a lot more fun to drive.

20. RAMbler

RAMbler New Member

His diesel will come in handy when a total eclipse of the sun is desired.