1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Electronics have DIED!? :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by echase, Nov 15, 2007.

1. echase

echase New Member

My 2006 PKG 1 has lost it's audio components, clock and keyless entry all at once without warning or explanation! This scares me a bit that such a new car (15K Miles) would have such a failure.

This morning I was listening to the radio on a short drive, and I powered off the Audio by pressing the power button. When I returned to the house I noticed that the MFD did not beep when I moved to the consumption screen. My wife took the car out next, and noticed the clock is not working, nor is the key FOB locking/unlocking the doors (and the little "immobilizer" light is not blinking on the dash when parked).

Any clues? This is the first issue I have had on what has otherwise been a great car, but it's very disconcerting. If this is something simple I would prefer to avoid a trip to the dealership. If it's something major, i'd like to know what to expect.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice/solutions/consolations you have to offer!

2. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenkeeper @ Nov 15 2007, 11:30 AM) [snapback]540082[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like a blown fuse. Check the owners manual for which one should be suspect. If so you should be able to replace it yourself. But, there might be a reason the fuse blew, which you probably cannot fix.

3. priapus08

priapus08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenkeeper @ Nov 15 2007, 11:30 AM) [snapback]540082[/snapback]</div>
    Have you tied to reset (press and hold start button for 45 seconds) that was used back in 04 for a variety of failures?

:unsure: It could be a bill gates known bug. Maybe you will need to close all open windows first. :D

4. echase

echase New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priapus the second @ Nov 15 2007, 03:09 PM) [snapback]540146[/snapback]</div>
    I believe at Microsoft they refer to them as "undocumented features"

A blown fuse! [slaps forehead] I like the sounds of that... hopefully just a freak occurrence. Now, if only these fuses were documented with something other than the arcane abbreviations on the fuse box. I will have to wait until this evening before pulling each one to check it.

I will also try the holding down of the power button. I like the sounds of that as well :)

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    fuses dont always blow because of an underlying defect. i had my dome light fuse blow on my Prius only a few months after i got it. replaced the fuse and havent had a problem with it since...

as far as not thinking about the fuse first... i now have an extra dome light bulb for my Prius

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been due to human error." I'd bet a dime you didn't actually turn the car OFF but instead accidentally left it in ACC. When your wife took it out, the 12V battery had drained just enough to reset the clock and disable the key system but was still able to boot the car.

Always lock the car, no matter where you park it or for how long, and it will complain with a long beep if you have left it other than OFF or with something ajar.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This in fact would most likely be the DOME fuse again; it carries
    all the car-powered-off standby power for the computers, clock,
    radio settings, MPG average, etc. It's in the underhood fuse block,
    in the "nose" part that sticks down toward the drivers-side
    headlight. The fuse puller is the little white clippy thing, which
    makes getting them out *so* much easier.
    _H*

8. echase

echase New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 15 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]540240[/snapback]</div>

Thank you for saving me from breaking fuses with the needle-nose pliers :)

The MPG seems to have been retained, but i'll start there anyway. Am I gonna lose my numbers when I pull it to check?

As for the accessory option, I kind of doubt this, since I don't have smart key and always take the key with me... but you never know. The clock has not been reset, it does not light up at all. I will be done with work soon, and let y'all know what I find!

9. echase

echase New Member

Hobbit,

You were spot-on with the DOME fuse, but as soon as the second one went into the socket it popped with a bright blue spark, so I am suspecting some kind of short-circuit.

My 2-year old son had the bright idea to put some change in the CD player, which I got out with a piece of tape, a wire tie, and a LOT of patience, but I'm thinking a piece may have dropped down into never-never land back there and shorted something out.

Any tips on removing dash panels so I can have a look before I get a big bill for something that's not covered under warranty?

THANKS!

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    eep. The stereo/cd/etc does have a keepalive lead from DOME, so you
    may be on the right track. See this for a really good guide to dash
    disassembly and stereo removal. I'd recommend re-testing DOME with
    the stereo still disconnected, just to ensure that it's not something
    else.
    _H*

11. echase

echase New Member

Wow that guy at the techno-fandom site puts together some really GREAT guides! ;-)

Thank you. So, just unplug the CD player and try to blow another fuse to test it?

Thanks Again!

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenkeeper @ Nov 15 2007, 10:03 PM) [snapback]540356[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: "that guy" is hobbit himself!

yeah change in the cd player could possibly do that. the most logical procedure for diagnostics would be to unplug each item run by the dome fuse individually while replacing the fuse. you'll go through a few fuses but that's the logical di-ag process. you've already got the idea so i figured i'd just confirm and tell you to go along your way :)

13. jk450

jk450 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 15 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]540359[/snapback]</div>
    That would work for home mechanics, I suppose, but a good tech will not be sticking in fuse after fuse. They'll diagnose the issue instead.

If you must do it this way, however - and some folks will - disconnect everything, and RE-CONNECT one at a time. Less to blow. Make sure your replacement fuses are not off-brand. The industry has seen a rash of fuses that don't blow when they should in the last year. And no, buying your fuses from a dealership does not guarantee good quality fuses. Many dealerships buy oil, fuses, even rebuilt modules from non-OEM sources.

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jk450 @ Nov 16 2007, 12:02 AM) [snapback]540399[/snapback]</div>
    well, we ARE talking to someone who's trying to do this at home rather than taking it to the dealership. assuming the problem is in the stereo, there should only be one fuse to blow and the rest is just verification.

you don't need to tell me about diagnostic techs.

15. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jk450 @ Nov 16 2007, 12:02 AM) [snapback]540399[/snapback]</div>
    Also, from my experience, and with Hobbit as a witness ;) some of the fuses in the Prius are not standard types you can buy at auto parts or electronics stores. I found only one distributor for them online, but couldn't acquire them directly so I had to go to the dealer to get fuses. If you know of another place to get fuses for the Prius, let us know! (the blades are along the sides of the fuse, rather than protruding down like little teeth)

16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hah! Human error, just like I thought. Or does a 2 year old count as defective aftermarket equipment?

Greenie, when you posted the first time did you already know that coins had been dropped into the CD changer?

17. echase

echase New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Nov 16 2007, 10:30 AM) [snapback]540537[/snapback]</div>
    Fortunately the fuse in question (15A, labeled DOME) does have the teeth pointing downward. Of course, a faulty fuse would be a major problem on a short-circuit, especially when I am working on diagnoses. When purchasing the fuse should I be looking for Toyota® fuses? Or is something else recommended? I am not looking to save $5 on an off-brand fuse at the peril of creating warranty-excluded damage!

I want to solve this myself to get a better understanding of my car, as well as save the money at the dealership. (And create a service record on my car, which never helps at resale time)

Is there an easy way to cut 12V power completely, so I could probe around a bit with an OHM meter. (Or whatever it's properly called)? I'm sure there must be a matser fuse, or is it best to simply disconnect the battery altogether?

Thanks to everyone here for all your support!

18. echase

echase New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenkeeper @ Nov 16 2007, 11:24 AM) [snapback]540575[/snapback]</div>
    Or not... it seems I was mistaken. My local Autozone, NAPA, and Pep Boys do not yet carry this "Low Profile Mini" fuse. So, it seems I will be off to toyota for a replacement soon enough, but I will do my testing with the Mini fuses that fit into the slots, but stick up too high.

Now, off to the garage to see what lurks beneath the dash... hopefully I do not release the rattles!

19. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the record, I did *not* do the dash-disassembly guide -- it's a
    backup copy I had when Chris's site disappeared.
    _H*

20. echase

echase New Member

Hobbit,

Thanks for posting the guide. It made my life a LOT easier yesterday to know where the snaps are etc. After removing and disassembling the CD player I found two nickels and a quarter inside. I've re-assembled everything, (with no leftover parts) and my car is back to normal.

Thanks again for everyone's help throughout what would have undoubtedly been an expensive ordeal at the dealership.

-Everitt