1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My EV Mod Failed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by born2pdl, Nov 5, 2010.

1. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I followed these instructions for the highbeam flasher switch:

http://www.calcars.org/prius-evbutton-install.pdf

Though I triple checked, and made the correct connection, it doesn't work. Has anyone else had trouble with this?

2. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you manually ground the EV line you added going into the HV ECU, does EV mode activate?

Note, it may not be obvious that it's going into EV mode, as some cars don't beep. Put the MFD on Climate, then hit the wire to a bare metal point, it should at least change the MFD to the energy screen if you have the correct wire.

If that works, then you got the correct connection to the HV ECU. Trouble shoot your connection to the Headlight stalk switch. If it doesn't work, then either you have the wrong pin on the HV ECU, the wrong ECU, or your pin isn't making contact.

3. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the jumper pins may not be making contact with the hv ecu, switch or both. I used a couple of spare pins from the connector at the multi-switch, and the smallest stranded wire I could find at radio shack.

The new wire gage is just a bit larger than the rest of the wires there which made the pins difficult to push in all the way. Soldering the pins to the jumper wire may have added to the fit issue. Any suggestions where to look for smaller wire? Should I not solder? I don't have tools to duplicate the nice factory terminal crimps.

4. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had success soldering, but if you did and this didn't work, maybe you should try without it. You don't need to make it look like factory, but just so the wire is making contact and will stay in.

The "spare" pins are not the exact type, and they are hard to press in. I've used a really small flat jeweler's screwdriver to accomplish this.

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I am not good at soldering and after seeing warnings of the harvested pin not being the correct size I opted to buy used pins with wires already attached for a few bucks. Also make sure the orientation of insertion is correct - the drawing in the pdf instruction wasn't 100% accurate. See this thread for more details:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...hv-ecu-connector-orientation.html#post1192296
    Good luck! :)

[​IMG]

6. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    EV Mod Getting Better

Thanks for the suggesetions. I found scant remnants of a prius at the local JY, almost picked clean but still had ecu and flasher connectors. So I used those pins and have the headlight flasher wired up.

Drove around today trying it out, doesn't operates quite as I expected. It doesn't seem to allow EV engagement when cold. I'll keep experimenting.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: EV Mod Getting Better

It should work if you put it in EV mode straight away as soon as you make ready. If you don't hit EV straight away then the ICE will start and then EV wont be allowed until it goes through it's warm up phase (cant remember the exact stage it needs to get to, maybe someone else can chime in).

There are quite a few EV denial conditions. Some others are.

1. Battery too hot (I get this denial every day by afternoon in summer :( ).

2. Battery state of charge too low.

3. Speed too high.

4. Some heater/demister settings also cause EV denial.

I'm pretty sure there's some other more obscure ones like "the first Tuesday after a full moon" as well. :D

8. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: EV Mod Getting Better

And, as Born2 speculates, battery too cold. See this for more:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...497-ah-so-what-frozen-battery-feels-like.html

9. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius