1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My EV Mod

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by chinalfr2, Jun 4, 2007.

1. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm happy to report that I successfully completed the EV mod. :) :)

Here is the part list :
    1. 1 @ momentary push button. Shack Catalog #: 275-1566
    2. 1 @ Crimp-On Telephone/Alarm Connectors . Shack Catalog #: 64-3081
    3. 2 @ 6ft 24 gauge wire.
    4. 1 @ 9-Position Female Crimp D-Sub Connector. Shack Catalog #: 276-1428 (only use the contact PIN)

Tools needed :
    1. Phillips screwdriver
    2. Soldering equipment : - solder gun, solder, flux
    3. Nose pliers
    4. Drills set
    5. Work Lights

I used Evan's PDF for installation guide. Thanks EFusco for the great writeup.

I did run into 2 problems during the install.
    1. The wire didn't secure correctly and loosen off when the PIN inserted to the ECU plug. I have to find a small needle and poke the pin back out of the plug.
    2. I also run into some problem that I didn't push the PIN far enough to get a good contact. After a few test drive, I solved the problem.

Now, I'm confident that I can do this mod much more faster now. Maybe less than 1 hour? :p

2. kdk84

kdk84 New Member

I just ordered an OEM EV kit from Sigma today (yes i specified 2007 in the order), so I am really excited to do this mod. However, I am a little nervous since I have no electrical training or knowledge. I figured that with the guides on the PC boards and you guys that have done it before I should be able to get through it. I also ordered an Engine Block Heater from them as well. So I'm very anxious to install those mods in my prius!!

3. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Should your hybrid battery fail early while you have the EV mod, say goodbye to getting Toyota to cover it. That is why the U.S. version Prius did not get the EV button to begin with. Toyota anticapted battery issues will happen with our long Hybrid warranty. Using the EV mod will just increase this and give Toyota a reason to deny the warranty claim.

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Jun 5 2007, 11:44 PM) [snapback]456370[/snapback]</div>
    If this is true, why does the rest of the world have the EV Switch?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Jun 6 2007, 01:44 AM) [snapback]456370[/snapback]</div>
    While this is stated as fact it is simply conjecture. No one knows what reaction any individual dealer will have in the case of a battery failure. No one knows if they'll even notice the EV mod or care if they do see it. No one has ever had a battery failure that could even remotely be connected to an EV mod. And it is NOT at all clear that the reason for the abscence of the EV button is b/c of the battery warranty, in fact it seems more likely that the primary reason was fear that the CAT could get too cool and not control emissions up to AT-PZEV standards if the button were used too much. It's certainly possible that there was lack of testing of the HV batt w/ the EV button to assure that it would hold up to the warranty requirements, but that's not been stated officially anywhere.

But look, it is a finite risk to install an EV mod. I've stated that hundreds of times now. It's in bold print in my original article for installing an EV mod...nobody will promise that the warranty will stand up should you have a problem that could, in some way, be related to the EV mod. If you cannot financially accept that risk then don't install the mod, there's not enough upside benefit to justify the risk. Likewise, if you can't afford the cost of replacing your electrical system then don't do any aftermarket stereo installs...if the install causes your electronics to fail that won't be covered under warranty either. This car belongs to you. You can chop off the roof and make it into a convertible, you can install hydrolic lifts, you can pimp it out, you can add additional battery capacity. None of those things will necessarily cause any warranty voiding damage, but they could...the risk is yours.

6. kdk84

kdk84 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 6 2007, 09:26 AM) [snapback]456468[/snapback]</div>
    Well said Evan. I think that all of us that do this mod realize that there is some degree of "risk" involved. But seeing how other model regions of this car have it and I really don't plan on using it frequently I feel okay about doing the install when it comes in.

I really just want it because the rest of the world has it and it is a cool feature. Not because I wanna run my car in EV mode all day.

7. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And to add to what Evan said...

Every time you drive your car you run the risk of being in a wreck and you could be seriously injured or killed.
    It happens to tens of thousands of Americans every year. Does that mean that you never get into your car?

Risk is part of our daily life. What is an acceptable risk is a daily choice.

My Prius spents a lot more time in Steath Mode than EV Mode and both are electric only. And both are monitored by the battery monitoring system to prevent harm to the traction battery. Only if the battery monitoring system were to fail would the traction battery be harmed and the EV Mode would not be the only source of harm if it did. The chance the the EV switch could be the cause of a traction battery failure, while possible, seems VERY remote.

That said, I do not find that the EV switch is magic. It is handy for moving the car short distances without starting a cold ICE and showing off the car. Hyper milers claim that it helps them. There are other conditions where it may help to keep the ICE from coming on. But that is about it for most of us.

The Prius is not an EV. I know because my other vehicle IS an EV.

8. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Amen. :)

I'm a risk taker. I will take the responsibility if the time came. Maybe by then, the Prius II already enter the automobile museum and I'm driving a Prius V. :lol: :lol:

9. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I can't wait to get my EV switch installed. (ordered the Coastal model)

I was in stop and go traffic the other day for about 5 miles. 0-15 mph. The engine kept coming on, even with very gentle accelleration. I got horrible mileage for that stretch of commute. I think the EV switch could have helped me there.

10. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Allannde @ Jun 6 2007, 10:57 AM) [snapback]456648[/snapback]</div>
    In addition to what Evan, you and others have said, the computer on the Prius goes to great lengths to kick the car out of EV mode in any case that could remotely harm the battery. Although Toyota could use it as an excuse, it would seem quite bogus to me if they did.

Dave M.

11. GaS

GaS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chinalfr2 @ Jun 4 2007, 03:22 PM) [snapback]455143[/snapback]</div>
    I ran into this problem with the Coastal ETech kit. The orange pin didn't/doesn't get clamped enough by the white bar to keep it in place. I had to pull the plug out, pull the bar out, push the orange wire/pin deeper, and try again. Second time it worked a treat.

For those who like me didn't know: The car will beep and tell you if it can't go into EV mode. I couldn't tell if it was refusing or the mod wasn't working ;)

12. Erik Erlandsson

Erik Erlandsson Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Jun 6 2007, 01:44 AM) [snapback]456370[/snapback]</div>
    I don´t know how long the US warranty is, but on my Swedish '07 I have a factory installed EV button and they give me 8 years or 160 000 km (~100 000 miles) full warranty for the whole drivetrain including hybrid battery. Emissions tests and cold catalyzers seem to me to be the prime suspect for excluding EV in the US.

The EV mode is btw overrated, charging a drained hybrid battery from 0-50% uses a lot of gas from 0-50%
    it can easily double the fuel consumption for a few minutes, almost as long time as you used the EV mode.
    "What you gain on the carousel you lose on the swings" or "Its impossíble to make energy out of nothing"
    /e
    /e