1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my experience installing elearnaid's 12v Optima battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusunum, Oct 5, 2010.

1. priusunum

priusunum priusunum

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just replaced my OEM 12v auxiliary battery with the elearnaid Optima D51 that several folks on PriusChat have recommended.
    I am not very experienced at working on cars, so it took me two hours to do the job, but I am happy to report that I was successful! I had previously replaced conventional batteries once or twice on my trusty old Subaru, which is certainly a lot easier to do.

Elearnaid provides detailed step by step instructions which, for me, were essential and generally quite clear. I had only two problems, both minor: even though I hooked up a 12 volt 7ah backup battery (which I had first charged to full strength) to save my settings using the post provided in the engine compartment , most were not saved, I don't know why: I had to reset the clock, the radio presets, and once again disable the annoying backup beep. The electric windows, though, seem to work ok.
    The other minor hiccup: I was not able to unhook the white connector from the brake assembly unit located in front of the 12v battery. For some reason it would not come out. So I just unbolted that unit and moved it aside with the white connector still attached. Not a problem.
    As some others have said, the bolt on the positive terminal that must be removed to disconnect the fuse assembly is indeed very hard to take off, but one can do it with a little tenacity. Others have also mentioned that it's hard to remove the bolt that connects the square black plastic vent above the 12v to the outside wall. Yes indeed, it's hard to get to it to take it off, and harder still to replace it after the new battery has been installed. But if I can do it, you can too!

I am going to keep my OEM battery as a backup because, actually, it has never given me any problems. My car has never failed to start.But I have had the car four years, and like Dr. Fusco, I decided to replace the auxiliary battery before it started acting up. And I was impressed when I read about the advantages of the Optima over the OEM battery.

Thanks again to all who write in to answer the questions of those of us who are not as Prius savvy. That's what gave me the courage to tackle this job.

2 people like this.
  2. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't bother. You'd have to keep the battery on a float charger and even then, it would only last a few years at best. A float charger will consume about 3 Watts, or about 26 kWh per year. At 10¢/kwh, that's about $2.63/year.

In the mean time, it's unlikely that you'll have any problems with the yellow top Optima.

Just take the old battery somewhere to be recycled and be done with it.

3. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I have wondered...are you seeing any improvement in your mileage....running more off the battery that the ICE?

4. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :confused:

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    There have been reports of a failing 12v battery causing excessive current draw from the charging circuit. This will result in wasted energy and a reduction in MPG especially in low speed driving.

JeffD

6. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is all this suspected energy loss supposed to be disipated in the battery or in the inverter? Because if very much is lost into the battery itself I would think it would get hot enough to burn before you'd notice it in the mileage.