1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Experience With Dynamat Extreme + The Kenwood SW1

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by LOLGuy, Jun 7, 2005.

1. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In an attempt to improve the sound in my 05 Tideland with Pkg. 6, I had the local CC install the Kenwood SW1 subwoofer yesterday, as well as Dynamat extreme in all four doors. (I picked both products up from Etronics - $186 for the Sub and $99 for 2 two-door packs of Dynamat Extreme + $9 shipping for the whole order!!! The package made it down to FL in two days).

I am extremely happy with the products, the install as well as the improvement to sound (thanks for the earlier posts with instructions on installation of the sub!!!).

Not knowing how things would turn out, I had also purchased two sets of new speakers (Polk DB6500) but I'm thinking I may return them because I really am pretty satisfied with the new sound.

CC charged $60 for the sub install (including running the remote to the drawer up front) and $25 for each door.

The speakers cost $320 (on sale) and would be an addtional $75 for install. I still have a few weeks to decide if I want to keep the speakers, so I guess I'll take my time in making up my mind.

2. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Any decision on changing out the additional speakers yet? I am installing the same sub this weekend and I'm wondering if changing speaker would make any improvements (I have the JBL system).

thanks!

3. mmccking

mmccking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    925PriusGuy, where are you planning to have this done at?

4. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hopefully in my garage... I should be able to do this myself. I did the XM install and it went well (except for me forgetting to reinsert the AM/FM antenna into the head unit after closing up the dash. :oops:

I just need clarification of how to hook into the battery for the sub's power.

5. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm leaning toward swapping them out. I may try to disconnect the center speaker first to see if that has any impact on things.

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(925PriusGuy\";p=\"99086)</div>
    Yah.. i hate it when i forget to connect something. I reopened the dash 4 times in one sitting once. I am an expert at pulling the dash apart now :).

For hooking up power to the sub, I ran an 8 gauge wire to a bolt on the battery terminal in the trunk. I picked any bolt on the chassis for ground.

I have the JBL package and I am definitely going to change out the stock woofers. The JBLs sound good, but they are noticeably insufficient for the aftermarket speakers I had for my old car which were moderately priced Infinity components I purchased for $150CDN used. I recently purchased a set of used RF components. I already changed out the tweeters and it has made significant improvement to the highs. I've been too lazy to do the woofers, though. I don't feel like drilling out the stock spacers and cutting out my own hehe. I think I'll be pushing ahead on this soon as I'm finding the sound is not up to par.

7. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LOLGuy\";p=\"99211)</div>
    I highly suggest you do it. It's a direct parallel to the 6.5" "sub-woofer" in my previous vehicle. Disconnecting it made a world of difference to the overall sound quality of the JBL system