1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My experience with my brand new prius 2010!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Nandros, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Nandros

Nandros Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Greetings to all of you from Athens Greece!
    I am a proud owner of a brand new Prius 2010 (basic model) for 100 days and I am in love with her (I mean the car!**)
    After some months roaming in this forum I decided to register and share with you – especially the newbies and prospective buyers - the small knowledge and experience I have got.
    A briefing first: my previous cars were a Daihatsu 1,2 auto of 1979, VW Passat 1,8 manual trany of 1985 and Honda Civic sedan 1,5 auto of 1991. When I bought the Honda she was an expensive car for my income at that time, but I wanted a reliable car to keep until the end of her days. During the last 18 years she served me well without serious problems, but she failed at the end of 2008, during my vacation, and left me stranded for 4 whole days (Friday eve, weekend & Monday) due to a stupidly small damage.
    Until then I had no interest for a new car and I was paying no attention to the new models, evolution of the automotive technology, etc. But this small problem made me to loose my confidence. I am a left leg amputee and I “need†a car more than the average Joe.
    Also I had very few information about the hybrid cars (“hybrid†is a wrong name to MO. “Hubris†was a Greek goddess, who was punishing the violators of divine and natural laws. The hybrid cars are the first step of an effort to help the nature/they do not violate the nature).
    So, after the damage of the Honda and 250.000 km in her odometer I began my research. When I saw the advertisement of the Insight in TV I liked her looks. Afterwards I learned about the existence of Prius.
    I test drove the Insight and I was impressed. The jump from the technology of 1991 to 2010 is a very long one! However, I found her quite small and not powered enough for my taste. After the Honda I was looking for a larger/more potent car.
    I visited a Toyota dealer to check for the Prius. She did choose me immediately! (Yes, she did. The females always choose the males!). Even though they had no car available – yet – for test drive I almost took my decision on the spot. But I refrained wanting to study the issue further (I had heard the rumours, spread by certain parts, for short battery life, high cost of a new one, fuel consumption much higher than the advertised one, low power and similar BS).
    After a lot of surfing in the net I discovered Priuschat and other similar sites and started reading and reading and reading.
    I wish to thank you all for the detailed information, advice and instructions. I appreciated even these not so wise (this is an understatement) remarks, questions, complain, grumbling, etc.
    Now, my impressions after 3 and a half months and 6.000 km driving this car. What Toyota says in USA “just drive it†is wrong to MO. We are talking about a completely different/avant-garde car. She does not suit to certain people. They actually need something else. Some will never learn her/get never used to her particularity. One should not buy a car because it is a trend.
    The first month I paid no attention to the fuel efficiency. It is pointless to try on an unbroken car. I cared much to learn her well, her abilities, distinctive features, even her whims, defects – if any.
    I read about the notorious “problem†with the brakes and confess I got worried a little. It happened to me 3-4 times but I reacted correctly because I knew! After all I always use my old tactics, to slightly release the brake when passing over uneven/rough spots and alleviate the shock on the front wheels, burdened with the major part of the weight of the car when braking.

Performance:
    During my first highway trip (driver only) I was surprised to see the speedo showing 165 km/h (Yes, I know: too much for a new car, but it was for a few minutes only). Immediately I dropped down to 90-120 klm/h. The car is smooth, without noise.
    Next trip with 4 adults: My brother-in-law, as passenger, felt with much surprise the quick accelerations from 100 to 140 klm/h. The car is not an Audi or BMW but she does have power. The Planetary Gear is an excellent choice of Toyota.

Consumption:
    City only and for small distances home-office- home 28-30 km. In March 4,6 l/100 klm (5,1 real) with a record in April 4,3 l/100 klm (5,something actual). The first 10 minutes in the morning are “lethal†for the consumption. There is no time for the car to warm-up and make a better average. Moderate driving by keeping up with the traffic and without disturbing the other drivers. For a good part of my commute I can reach up to 90-95 klm/hr but I maintain 70-80 max. Average speed in the MID 28-30 klm/hr for 600-650 klm. I refuel when the tank reaches 1/3 and no less.
    Out of city. Highway with 5,3 l/100 klm/hr (close to 6 actual) with the driver and a small baggage. Speed 120-150 klm/hr.
    7 days trip in Peloponnese. Driver + 2 passengers (roughly 280 kilos all 3 overweight + 3 suitcases roughly 60 kilos). Mostly sideway roads, mountainous terrain, narrow curves, steep climbs and deep drops. For those non-Greeks you must find and study the map to slightly get the picture. Speed cameras and radars one after the other (God bless the GPS) at all straight parts. Air-conditioning at 23-24 degrees C. Consumption 4,6 l/100 klm (5, something actual). My friend, permanent resident of Cyprus and lover of Mercedes and SUV, and without even driving the car has been converted! He is approaching the retirement and he is very seriously considering the Prius. He curses the Cypriot government for the high taxes to all vehicles and lack of incentives to hybrid cars.

What bothers me:
    Very big panes which transform the car to a greenhouse. I cannot see her ends, the parking in narrow places is a serious business, but I am learning. The joy-stick that plays the role of gear shift is a nice thing but confusing. The position of R is the same as the 1st gear in a normal trany. Fortunately the beeper is omnipresent to warn you. On the first oil change I will ask the dealer to adjust it to 1 beep only. A gear shift of a classic automatic box would be preferable. I am getting used with the spoiler that separates the aft pane. It hides the beams of the car behind and does not disturb the mirror! No storing space in the doors, but I found my way.

What I like:
    The seat of the driver and the spatial MID and console (I named her spaceship Galactica!). Endless hours of driving without tiredness. Easier access than the Honda due to higher position of the seats.
    The stupefied faces of the pedestrians (I keep them in safe distance) who hear nothing as the car passes by in EV mode. This is priceless!

Why I bought her at such cost:
    1. I pay just 3 euro annual tax to the arch-pimp named government. I prefer to pay more to Toyota because at least they will use my money to develop cleaner cars.
    2. I save money from the cost of fuel, hoping in long terms to compensate.
    3. Because at the end I want to assist to save the planet.

(**) Please do not take me wrong for using “she†for the cars. I was a man of the sea. For the seamen all ships are she/her/etc. I have the same concept for the cars.

Nandros

p.s. please excuse the long post but I could not help it..

carolD likes this.
  2. nick1985

nick1985 Guest

Oh its so nice to hear from you about your car.Its a proud moment for you.Thanks.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for a great read. A classic example of Prius owners. Independent out of the box leaders that can see/plan long-term.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings.

Seems like an honest and interesting evaluation.

I for one? Happy to welcome anyone who creates long scripted posts and doesn't use smilies...

People apologize now for communicating? I have a tendency to go on too long as well, but I still think that is better then the brevity of communication that has been fostered by Text Messaging and E-Mail Centric communication.

But don't get me started.......by the time I'm done posting...you'll be tempted to amputate your right leg...

Anyway...welcome and I think it's refreshing to have a different P.O.V. and one that is not afraid to communicate it, even if it results in several paragraphs.