1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My favorite car company came up with a nice idea!

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by kdailey356, Jan 15, 2007.

1. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not sure how helpful this will be unless you can use that regained energy to something more useful then recharging your 12V battery. Seems more costly then smart to me....

But I guess it goes to show that even performance cars are starting to feel the pressure to go green. Guess we can thank Lexus for that

3. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCodPrius @ Jan 15 2007, 01:29 AM) [snapback]375749[/snapback]</div>

Do you mean to say that Toyota came up with this idea for BMW? :eek: This must be so because who in there right mind would pick BMW over Toyota as there favorite car company? :D There’s just no compairison! :p

4. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

Bmw has always been my favorite car company. There is no other car that handles, drives, and has such a beautiful enviroment to me as a BMW. And i love the fact that it is a individual car company, besides the extension with Mini. Every BMW i see just screams craftmanship, durability, beautiful lines and i just love them. I average about 28.9 miles per gallon with my '07 328xi, but i love the fact how they are incorporating green technology in there car. Besides the prius, Toyotas seem like such a generic car with no individuality. But the prius's are very cute. Im in love with them!:)

5. brjacobso

brjacobso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    so you'd rather have an individual nicer car and contribute more to global warming? 3% savings on emissions according to that article? wow soo green hehe. You are entitled to your opinion I suppose.

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gimmemyprius @ Jan 15 2007, 05:12 PM) [snapback]376003[/snapback]</div>
    The 3 Series BMWs are available with PZEV emissions... which means you'd be doing more for the environment driving one of those than driving any Toyota/Lexus hybrid (other than the Prius/Camry).

I guess it is soo green, hehe. B)

7. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

(To the comment above, your right.. and most of BMW models including the X3 have even scored 6's on the EPA's air pollution score[2007's]. The same as a Honda Fit) I just dont understand how you not say BMW is leaving out the "Green Factor" in their car company. They have developed a Hydrogen-7 series with great acceleration, amazing fuel economy, and having it be a luxury car it would apply to alot of people who overlooked prius's and camry's. Also, The V6 varients of the 5-series(powerful, midsize luxury sedans) get almost 30 mpg highway. Obviously BMW isnt focused on efficiency, though they do have little tricks.

8. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

I don't buy from companies that I know used forced labor.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. I suppose that means a larger 12V battery to run the accessories while the engine is off. Good stuff.

I like BMWs. Would I own one? Probably not unless I have wads of cash lying around but I do agree they're fun to drive and I like the new 3 series' styling. I don't know about the interior. It's not the most ergonomic and the 1/3/5/X5/X3 dashboards all look very very similar.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jan 15 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]376046[/snapback]</div>
    That seems a little unforgiving.
    Germany has a fund set up cover compenstation for the victims of the practice.
    Japan's stance is that it is covered in the treaty and no other action is necessary.

My google-fu wasn't up to getting a list of the companies that took advantage of prisoners.

11. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ShellyT @ Jan 18 2007, 11:26 AM) [snapback]377193[/snapback]</div>
    Yes it is.

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jan 15 2007, 04:38 PM) [snapback]376046[/snapback]</div>
    I am sure Toyota's record is much cleaner during World War II. Keep the toyota blinders on!

13. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 18 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]377285[/snapback]</div>
    I don’t know, but I’m ready to be enlightened.

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jan 18 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]377305[/snapback]</div>
    What do you think Toyota was building during world war II? Cars and trucks for consumers or equipment for Toyota's war machine?

http://harrisonheritage.com/adbc/murphy.htm

Historians note that the Japanese frenzied efforts to ship all the POWs to Japan for slave labor work culminated one of the worst examples of Man’s cruelty to man ever experienced. We landed in Moji, Japan, weak, starved, dehydrated and sick. A three day train ride took us northward where POW work details were dropped off along the route. I ended up at the Sendai area Prisoner of War Camp No. 6 at Hanawa, Japan. This was a slave labor camp where we were forced by the Japanese Army to labor in the Osarizawa Copper Mine operated by the Mitsubishi Mining Company. This copper mine is one of the oldest mines in Japan having been in continuous operation for more than 1300 years. Mining methods have remained unchanged for centuries. The Japanese miners, backed by the Japanese guards, forced us to work in unsafe and dangerous spots that were not shored up to protect us from falling rocks and boulders. This resulted in injury and death to my fellow POWs. We used open burning carbide headlamps to provide light with no safety features to detect explosive gas deposits. We used hand pushed cars traveling on narrow rails to load and push a long ways out of the mine to the smelter. As we filled our established quota of cars, the Japanese were ever increasing this quota. The trip to the mine was about two miles, then down into the shafts to work all day, then back to camp which had no heat. The food was meager rations of rice or millet and hot water to drink.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 18 2007, 01:14 PM) [snapback]377308[/snapback]</div>
    You shouldn't have left out the details of your cruise to Japan on a Hell Ship. POW's were packed tight into cargo holds for the sailing to Japan. These transports did not carry any special markings and so were equally vulnerable to our submarine attacks. The Japanese did not honor the Geneva Convention so their treatment of POW's was at least as bad as Germany's treatment of undesireable civilian populations. Of course Japan's treatment of civilian populations won't win any humanitarian awards either.