1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My First 100 MPG bar ..

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Tom Banjo, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Tom Banjo

Tom Banjo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all -

New owner of a 2008 prius. Just saw my first "bar" of a 5 minute segment at 100 mpg. I thought it was pretty neat. I was on the charming I95 in south florida, 5 o'clock rush hour, going a pretty steady 15-20 mph.

I find that I could accellerate till the engine kicks in, then back off, the battery takes over and go for a bit, repeat. Obviously, I was keeping current with traffic doing this, which was pretty jammed up and not moving too quickly.

This is my daily commute miles, in the morning I can go 70 or so if I leave early, but stop and go on the way home on I95. So I have been averaging in the low 50's for total commute.

I am pretty impressed. Of course it could be the lack of brakes and the stuck accelerator that helps get great mileage :cool:

[​IMG]

2. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats on your purchase and great mileage.

3. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    enjoy your ride.

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello from Japan,

I agree the full 100 mpg bar makes us happy!
    Among Japanese Prius users, we are playing to achieve filling the screen with all six full height of bars like a kind of games.
    Our max is 40 km/L, which is equivalent to the 94.1 mpg. (Our max is little shorter than yours.)

Anyway, the most difficult one is the perfect achievement without regeneration marks.
    Hope you'll be able to post your perfect achievement some day.

Ken@Japan

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Now I DO NOT recommend this to anyone but I manage to get 100mpg at 60 mph if I slipstream a truck on the motorway. I followed one in this manner (without customers in the car) for about 20 miles the other day and it was nice to see the guage stay about 90-100 mpg for most of this distance.

The road was flat and dry with no hills.

6. Tom Banjo

Tom Banjo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool stuff ... I like the Japanese MFD

7. Eisbaer

Eisbaer German Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello from Germany,

it's funny to see the different ways of measuring the mileage.
    In Europe we use "Liters/100km", consequently our goal is - in contrast to other countries - to achieve NO bars! But that is also very tricky, of course...

Here a rare picture of such an occasion (the maximum on the display is 10 litres/100km, that equals to 23,5 MPG):

[​IMG]

(photographed in my Classic Prius after 15 minutes of descent from a hill)

Bye, Eisbaer

8. Tom Banjo

Tom Banjo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah -- a hill -- I was wondering how you could regenerate like that. In florida, there aren't very many hills. There are a few places in my daily commute that allow me to build speed coasting. Of course, it takes energy to get up that slight incline to then take advantage of the decline, but at least you get some of that energy back in regeneration or continued momentum. Being new at this, it is till fun to watch the meters.