1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first 50mpg+ commute in my new GenIII

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Mar 21, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so this is old hat to most of you but it's new for me. :)

I have a commute that would normally be considered not Prius friendly. It consists of 1/4 mile from home to freeway 46.5 miles of freeway (65mph speed limit) and 1/4 mile from freeway to work. I also have an elevation gain from 50ft. ASL to 1,200ft. ASL. Traffic moves pretty fast around here so I am usually forced to drive at least the speed limit but on off-peak traffic times I can lug around at 60mph and not tick too many people off. Last night I had to speak at an event so that added maybe 5 miles onto this trip BUT it took me an hour to get there because the town was in gridlock traffic due to an accident on the freeway. As such mph dropped from 48mph average to 37 by the time I got back home. So I'm done complaining about the gas mileage in the new car. It's going to do just fine once everything is broken in and summer temps are here. :D

So this is what my commute looked like yesterday.

Temperature: 54deg
    Miles Driven: 102
    Average MPG: 56.4
    Average Speed Indicated: 37 (dropped from 48mph after being stuck in city traffic for an hour to only go 5 miles.
    Technique: None. I just drove at 60mph with cruise control on. No hypermiling at all.
    Tires: Yokohama AVID Ascend at 42/40psi and about 500 miles on them.

My commute elevation graphed (to work) Multiply elevation number by 10 (100x10=1000)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. ghosteh

ghosteh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you happy with that? If so, then great! Just think what the mileage would have been in a SUV. And when it comes down to it, driving it in a non-stressed "normal" manner only cost you a few bucks more than trying to hypermile.

If you want to improve it a little, you need to consciously change your driving habits. The increase in mpg WILL follow! You've got a lot of potential left in that car. However, lots of people would be quite happy with nearly 40mpg in such a commute.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Driving slower than the speed limit is a fuel economy enhancing technique. ;)

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My usual high for this commute in my GenII is about 57mpg but I would have to do a littler hypermiling to get there. 53-55mpg was my more common average during warmer months. So for now I am happy. I was starting to wonder if this car was going to be worse than my GenII. I guess it is all about breaking everything in. Temps have not changed and neither did my driving technique.

My driving habits are pretty well fixed. There is not much to change on a 99% freeway commute. You can either drive slower or faster. I already glide when possible on overpasses or hills and in the GenIII the CC tries to do that for you already so I'm not likely to pick up much there until the tires are past the 5,000 mile mark.

Bah. Technicalities. :D

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll never be a part of the 60mpg average club but I do get to attend their events occasionally. ;)

[​IMG]

6. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Now that the weather has warmed up in New England I am back to 60 mpg or better- first tank since November. Usually it is mid April until I get my 60's back and stay above that till October . Can pretty well know the temp out by the Prius gas mileage, when its down in the 20's the mpg drops to mid 50' s Lowest this winter was 53 mpg on that tank. Prius does not like cold weather.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats Ted. Summer time MPG always brings a smile to my face. :)

No car does its best in cold weather. Air density increases dramatically and tire rolling resistance can double. Toss in water and wind and mpg plummets. Unfortunately most cars get such low gas mileage that most people don't notice the 2-3mpg loss and they just keep pumping away. That was me 7yrs ago.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yay!!!!! congrats justin, it's a great feeling, isnt it? btw, i may have missed it in your other thread, do you find your gen III any roomier than II?

1 person likes this.
  9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! It is a good feeling. Spending a load of money on a new car that is supposed to get better gas mileage then not seeing the higher numbers is kind of a downer.

I really don't notice the car being roomier. It feels a little larger but the center console hems you in so any extra room is likely shadowed by the perceived tightness caused by the console. I like it though! I'm fairly thin so I don't need a lot of room and I really like the console design. My girlfriend does too.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Aren't you in the San Juaquin valley ? I though elevation changes were measured in inches there :p

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sacramento Valley. :) base of the Sierra Nevada. :p

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, very interesting the MPGs jumped up in your 6th tank of gas (5 fillups, right?) ...

my first tank from 30 miles off dealer lot to about 350 miles ...

329.7mi/6.244 gal = 52.8 actual, 55.2 indicated. I was cruising around town extra to break it in.

I'm glad you're seeing the 55ish numbers, cause I would see that all the time in the rentals. (well, 55 indicated)

1 person likes this.
  13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My first tank was as expected for a 470 mile trip 400+ of which was at 70mph.

The next trip was not any better despite easy driving. After that the rains hit us and I gave up and figured I'd play around a bit and learn the car. :D

Yesterday was the first dry day that I got to commute in so I drove it in the exact manner I used to drive the GenII when I was attempting a 55mpg tank. The GenII had great LRR tires that were over half worn so the comparison is not quite fair. Despite that the GenIII achieved greater mpg than I would have been able to get in the GenII in the same conditions.

I truly think a big reason for the lower mpg had to do with the car/tires breaking in (remember I swapped tires already) and the really crummy weather which FORCED me to drive like an idiot. :D

14. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    55mpg is not bad at 70 mph...Where I live the roads are 55 mph limit and work to the Prius advantage, plus there is a break in period as the engine smooths itself out a bit. Tire pressure is a 4-5 mpg improver , if you pump then up to sidewall max....

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 55mpg tanks in the GenII were mainly driven at 60mph. Same for this last commute in the GenII. 70mph pretty much dumps me into the low 50s or high 40s given my high elevation commute. :)

My tire pressure is at about all I can stand right now. I tried sidewall max (51psi) and it was not comfortable. It's a big difference between this car and the GenII. I used to run 50-60psi without a problem. Now I don't like it.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i am hoping the bridge will grow on me :p. how did you find the elevation of your commute?

17. ryano7700

ryano7700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I want badly to get 50 mpg (calculated) on a tank, but I just can't do it. I don't want to get into a bunch of hypermiling techniques and feel like the pace car at the Daytona 500. I guess I need to just slow down. I might be able to get it if I drive a max of 55 mph on the speedo (which is actually 53 or 54 mph). I have increased the pressure in the tires to 40 psi.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used the google MyTracks app on my phone. :)

If you have only been driving in winter weather then you should notice a big boost once summer hits. I'm just going by your 14 fill ups on Fuelly. :)

The 17" wheels are not helping but with the right commute you should still be able to get to 50mpg without having to resort to a bunch of hypermiling tricks. Keeping your speeds at 65mph or lower really helps though.

1 person likes this.
  19. BSWEET

BSWEET New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have had my Gen III for 3 1/2 weeks, 1200 miles on the ODO, and I just saw my first commute of 51 mpg yesterday. My commute is 35 miles in the lower Sacremento Valley towards San Francisco. It is mostly flat but there are a few 2 or 3 mile 3% grades where the instant mpg's drop to 25. I have been averaging ~ 45 mpg and I am driving ~ 65 to 68 mph. This morning I got 45 going to work, 51.8 comming home. It is amazing what slight grades/wind/ ambient temps and rain will do to your milage! I have also seen a couple of 63 mpg city trips driving VERY echo minded.

I am enjoying the heck out of my first Prius!

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you commuting into Vallejo? That hill between Cordelia and Vallejo is a killer. :)

Once you get used to the hybrid system and summer hits you should be solidly in the 50s. As long as those Cordelia/Suisun winds don't get ya. lol I was born and raised in Fairfield/Suisun. I don't miss the delta breeze.