1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first 60 mpg tank!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by [email protected], May 6, 2007.

1. montelb@ada.k12.oh.us

[email protected] New Member

For the first time, bought the car in December, I finally got 60 mpg for an entire tank of gas (469 miles). I realize that this doesn't compare with the 800 mile tanks or 70+ mpg of some, but I am really excited about the break through! With the use of "P & G," I was consistantly getting around 50 mpg. During this last tank of gas, I made 1 major change-- I increased tire pressure. I was holding at the 38-36 psi, but after reading several threads I decided to push up the pressure-- 58-56 psi. Then I drove my normal commute and saw that the glides were much longer. I didn't notice much change in the ride. I also took a road trip of about 220 miles this weekend. Again, I didn't notice much difference in the ride, but I saw a huge increase in mileage.

Thanks to all who post their techniques and advice. It's been great learning and trying out the ideas!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're doing quite well, the warm weather is your friend and mine here. The tire pressure helps too, of course, but the weather and experience are the biggest factors.

3. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE([email protected] @ May 6 2007, 10:36 PM) [snapback]436616[/snapback]</div>
    This seems really high. Are you running a special tire. Are you worried about a blow out at high speed.

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Congratulations, montelb! Keep up the good work.

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Great job! Now if you can use an engine block heater your first five minute drop off won't be so severe and you won't be playing catch up the rest of your trip.

Wayne

6. chuck kershner

chuck kershner New Member

Interesting story. I'm now averaging 41 mpg - my best since I bought my '06 Prius in September 2006. My stock tires say maximum pressure is 45 psi, so you must have put on a different brand that will allow you to inflate to 56-58 psi. Or alternatively, you are over-inflating the stock tires that came with the car. I'd be interested in knowing which tires you use. I'd love to see 60 mpg but to get there I'd have to do a lot of unique things that seem to detract from the main purpose of a motorised vehicle: getting from point A to point B safely, in a reasonable amount of time, and with a certain level of efficiency.

7. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ May 7 2007, 06:24 AM) [snapback]436755[/snapback]</div>
    Is a block heater still useful at improving your mileage in the first 5 minutes of driving, in the spring, fall and summer too? and is it a responsible use of energy? My first five minutes are killing my mileage and I wonder if a block heater would help.

I'm also would love to stop the ICE in certain situations where I just got the car ready to go but I'm not moving for a few minutes due to traffic - so I wonder if an EV mod would be useful there.

8. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, a block heater works year round to help your MPG. As to responsible use of energy, that you have to decide. Is it economical, use it for a week and compare your MPG to the MPG before and after use, then check your gas savings vs. cost to operate. And don't forget the environmental benefit of less greenhouse gas production because of a warmer engine.

Wayne

9. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bestmapman @ May 6 2007, 08:18 PM) [snapback]436639[/snapback]</div>
    That would be my worry. Unless he does have a special kind of tire.

Dave M.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fibb222 @ May 7 2007, 09:42 AM) [snapback]436898[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. You can still block the grille (although I wouldn't suggest doing it now seeing that it reached 20°C yesterday at YVR)

11. mparrish

mparrish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fibb222 @ May 7 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]436898[/snapback]</div>
    I bought a timer at Lowe's for $20 for my EBH. It kicks on the current flow at 5am so that she is nice & toasty by 8am or so. Electricity use is kept to a minimum.

I live in Texas, and am using my EBH right now. Starting at 110 is much better than my 70 degree garage in the morning.

Both the EBH & EV switch mod are useful in the first 5 minutes, especially if you have glide opportunities right out of the gate.

12. montelb@ada.k12.oh.us

[email protected] New Member

Evidently, my wife reads Priuschat too! She agrees with those of you who think the tire pressure is too high for our stock tires. After consulting a good friend, head of transportation at my school, I've decided to lower the psi to 43-41 psi. This will put me over the suggested psi, 35-33 by just 8 psi. This satisified my friend and hopefully my wife too!

I've made no other modifications to the car, but I'm still striving for the 60 mpg per tank. Currently, I'm at 55 mpg for the first 175 miles of this tank at the new tire pressure.

Thanks to all for the encouragement with the milage and concern about the tire pressure. It's great to be part of this community!

13. kdk84

kdk84 New Member

I'm on my 2nd tank right now. I averaged just over 55 MPG on my first tank and as of right now I've traveled 184 miles and am averaging 58.7 MPG. I just took a long trip for an interview today that was actually 183 of those 184 miles. A total of 85 miles of freeway driving. I averaged 60MPG on the way there and my MPG dropped to 58.7 after I got back home. I don't have any mods on my prius, and I checked my tire pressure and from the dealer my prius is 42-40 psi. with the max psi of 44 on the tire. I have considered putting in a few more psi and going with 44-42 however I'm not sure what kind of MPG difference I'll see from that. I'd like to have a 60MPG tank this earlier in my car's life with no mods seeing how people say as the car breaks in it gets better MPG. I have just over 400 miles on the car.

For my 58.7 MPG that I'm getting now all I practice is my Pulse & Glide and "Pulse & Assist" as I call it for higher speeds. Since gliding isn't possible in some situations I just assist the car with a MFD reading of 60MPG or higher on the freeway which makes for a make shift glide.