1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first 600 mile tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PA Prius, Oct 6, 2007.

1. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I filled at 611 miles yesterday, albeit running 35 miles on the blinking pip. I still only got 9.4 gallons in the tank-- filling in the slow notch of the nozzle and top-filling .5 gallons as we always do. So theoretically I had 2.5 gallons left, or a total of almost 200 miles on the blinking pip. I won't try it. But I sure do hate schlepping those 2.5 gallons along with me all the time.

PA P

2. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA Prius @ Oct 6 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]522276[/snapback]</div>
    Top filling in the Prius is definitely not a good idea, as it can cause excess fuel to flow into the EVAP system which can ruin it.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid13.pdf

See p.3, and p.10 for a picture of the tank fill entry and the overflow pipe locations.

I don't know how much fuel you can squeeze in between the fuel pump nozzle stopping and the Prius tank overflow pipe (and it depends on the fuel nozzle stop pressure setting), but it's not worth the risk for a few liters more of fuel, is it?

3. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    And don't forget that just because the manual says 11.9 gallons doesn't mean that the bladder stretches to that volume. The colder it gets, the less gas there really is in the tank since the bladder does not expand as well.