1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My First Car Ever at 23 years old: 2009 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mishy03, May 10, 2017.

1. mishy03

mishy03 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi I'll try to keep it short!

I've never had a car before and a friend told me one of their co workers wants to sell their 2009 Prius for 4000$, it has 126,000 miles. They are moving Sunday and they want to get rid of it ASAP.

I checked the car fax and everything looks good, the battery was just replaced 6 months ago, new tires, new air conditioning filters..I just texted about the engine water pump and I'm waiting for a reply. My friend is scaring me saying that it's a horrible idea to get a car with so many miles but I've seen in these forums that a Prius with a lot of miles isn't a bad thing since they last so long? She's saying it might cost me thousands in maintenance. Are there any huge possible fees that could come from getting a high mileage Prius?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's not high miles. It's a very good car and should last to 200,000 with very little issues. Actually I'll buy it if you don't want it.

Ajourney101, Mavi and WilDavis like this.
  3. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That seems like a very good price! I'd go for it! The battery shouldn't go bad until after 200,000 miles like most people's.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This vehicle could still be under a 10/150 warranty (run the VIN by the dealer or online), which should cover most of the bigger ticket items for another year or two (though not all).

Of course after that all bets are off.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Should purchase it ASAP. It is excellent price for only 126K miles.

Check oil level to make sure the engine is not burning oil internally.

My 2006 Prius already has more than 270K miles and it is still running real well.

Ajourney101 likes this.
  6. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like a bargain! Read up all you can about Prolong Grid Charging (from Hybrid Automotive) ...is there an echo in here? BTW Welcome to PriusChat!!! ...at 126,000 it's a mere baby! (for a Toyota) ...my 2009 Gen II has just clocked 120,000 and runs like a top! My last Toyota had 292,000 on odometer before it failed state- inspection (corrosion)! Good luck! :)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree, it's one of the newest Gen 2s out there and should give you years of good service.

To clarify, it's probably the 12 Volt "auxiliary" battery that's been replaced (about $200 part), not the main hybrid battery.

Looking forward, as with any used car, you should plan on at least one large expense in the next few years. In this case, it could be the hybrid battery which could cost thousands to replace. This car will be economical for now, and it would be wise to put some of that saved money in a "battery fund."

biglew8 and WilDavis like this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Only thing that may get u is not maintaining the oil level. Be hyper vigilant
    Till u see if it's eating oil or not. First thing in the am before starting the car
    Check the oil level. Do that every few days for a while.
    Go to Walmart and buy 5 quart jug of mobil1 5-30 for $24 and go to the dealer and buy the oil filter for $4. The engine takes 3.5 quarts of oil
    With a filter change, check oil level soon after and see how close to the full line it is after change. Keep it at the full line.

Only other thing is replace the fan belt too no matter what it looks like.
    It's only job is to turn the engine water pump. No belt no water pump engine overheats and gets damaged. I bought new belt on eBay for $8.

M in KC, m.wynn and johnjohnchu like this.
  9. goldarrow

goldarrow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My '09 Prius currently has 217,000 miles and has been very reliable. Bought it at 196,000 15 months ago. A qt of oil every 3 gas tank fill-ups or so and getting 44+ mpg.