1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first car... true story :)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by subie4life, May 19, 2014.

1. subie4life

subie4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    :) My parents gave me this car a 2007 toyota prius:sick:. With 121k it needed new struts and brakes.... All my friends made fun of me :) . I 100% hated that car...seriously. It had so much understeer even with Z rated continentials... gr8 tires fyi... big improvement from the stock goodyears... loss of 3mpg's but you didnt have to worry about certain death if it drissled :) . but it took so long to even get near highway speed... idk what the 0-60 was probably like 18 seconds if i were to guess :) .but as a 17 year old male i worked... saved... and finally overcame this completely undesirable shit box :D . Once i got the funds i sold it for 6k to some random woman... price was low because i wonted to sell quick... but the car was mint... really super clean always taken care of... serious... but i bought a 05 legacy 2.5GT with 80k on it 5spd manual :) ... 2.5l vf 40 turbo w/ megan racing exhaust... yes its loud great rumble:LOL: and im putting a new clutch in it... starting to slip under boost :(... I love my legacy GT great car really fast and handles amazing with the new pirelli pzeros :D . it gets 23mpg avg :) on 93 octane fuel :) ... I dont miss that prius not for one second :) . listen im not hating on these cars... but not for me and everything im saying is true dont deny it...:LOL: . If i was a normal person i would have loved it but i need a fast car... so happy mpg'n and bye :ROFLMAO: .

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a co worker that has your type of thinking. She lives in a converted garage with her husband and 2 children. They traded in a Ford Fusion 4cyl for a new Ford F150 because it's cool. Unfortunate, now they work for the F150 and nothing else. They still live in a converted garage and are still quite miserable. True Story!

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hahah, you want to pay $70 for a tank of premium gas versus $35 for a tank of regular in your slow Prius? I had a need for speed when I was 17 too but I had better things to spend $35 on than filling the gas tank. Good luck to you.

iPhone ?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't blame ya. When I was younger, a Legacy 2.5GT Spec B was eye candy. [​IMG]

Too bad the geeky side of me won and I got a 2005 Prius instead =P At US$4.25/gal in 2005 (CAD 75 cents/litre and 1.5x exchange rate) for regular, people didn't see the point of it (A recent survey showed that Cdn$1.5o/litre was the breaking point for people to seriously consider a more fuel efficient vehicle, not one that's somewhat more efficient or just as efficient as their current one).

Now it's $5.48/gal ($1.45/litre at 1.0x exchange rate), those $50 fill ups on regular gas for the Prius per month look much more appealing than $85 for a Camry per fortnight or $190 for an F-150 every 3 weeks on regular. (Based on 800-900km per month)

5. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Excellent! We need people like you to help increase the gas tax revenue ;) .

Prius-Paul and PriusGuy32 like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bye bye(y)

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't let the door hit you where the Lord spilt you!!! :D

When you get tired of paying higher repair costs, fuel costs, insurance costs, and tickets?
    We'll still be here!

I was a kid once too....until 40 got smaller and smaller in the rear-view-mirror....so I know how it goes.

Enjoy the Subie!
    PLEASE.....get some blacked out tail lights, a coffee-can exhaust, 5-percent tint all-round, some blue LED marker lights and some primer-black negative offset rims to go with the car... :)
    Helps me blend in and drive like I want to :eek:

Seriously.
    I got to be a kid far longer than most.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Try not to hurt yourself or others.

We'll be here when you grow out of it. :)

Prius-Paul and Mr Incredible like this.
  8. Horsefeathers

Horsefeathers Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aw, dude, your parents clearly hate you.:(

acceleraptor likes this.
  9. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, you should probably leave home while you still know everything.:LOL:

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I loved my '97 Legacy GT 2.5 5sp too:
    [​IMG]
    I bought it new, about the time you were born. Great car, especially in winter.

It started with the same horrid mpg you see, but I eventually learned how to push that up above 30 mpg. Sorry about your premature clutch wear, mine was still original and fine when I sold it over the winter with 175k miles. But the center diff had failed, head gaskets were showing early signs of failure (and all my friends with 2.5L engines of similar vintage had already replaced their head gaskets), and a few other things were pushing the needed repair $$$ too high. So I replaced it with a new Subaru, though not a GT.

Now I have the best of both worlds -- a GenIII Prius and a new 2014 6sp Subaru.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Subie4life, it's people like you that keep the dividends flowing to people like me. Thank you.

I also appreciate that you are paying for the road I drive on. Again, thank you.

Here's hoping you enjoy your Subaru for a very long time.

12. subie4life

subie4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you guys and you guys are actually prietty chill :D ... was not expecting that:) but i probably will buy another prius when i have kids because it was a really safe car and the mpgs :) but ill always have a car to make faster and use for track use :) ... yes TRACK use autocross/trackdays... very fun but tires are very expensive :) and my need to upgrade things that go bad or break :) and yeah my parents love me and i thank god everyday that I had the opportunity to complain... but ill pay the $45 :) vs the $20 if I get to have a "fresh whip" as my stupid friends would say but ill admit... it does help with the ladies :) and to fuzzy1... omg yours was a wagon thats sick!!!(y) I wonted a wagon so bad... i found a nice one but it had 225k on it and I wasnt going to get a car with more miles... im not a complete idiot :) just a few concushions :) and my clutch had like 2k left on it when i got it and ive put 1k on the car in the 9 days ive bine driving it :) ... yes a 1000 miles in 9 days :) I now... but I have done a few pulls with it to some speeds... :) which involved a few shifts at 6500 ish right were the power starts to go away :) but im not abussive... never launched it and I really do baby it... 1. no smoking in my car 2. no drinks of any kind even water 3. no food of any kind...NO I dont smoke but I like bad girls so... ;) which yes will be the death of me :) normally im very passive and cruise at 70-75... ironicially I drove faster with the prius :) ...80-85 because the cvt... but the gear ratio in the subie is so close its at 3500rpm at 80 and thats not the best... runs to hot and I wouldnt do that for more than a hour... but thank you guys and wish you guys luck :) but to ETC(ss) NO im not ricing out my car... its not a civic :) but it has quad tips NOT "fart cans" as we call them :)... and 35% good for me but i have plenty of PBA cards so...o_O and theres big plans for this car at efi logics and I work really hard and next year ill be making around 30k a year with out overtime and going to school at night so... yeah:) ... but thank you Tideland Prius but unfortunatly mines not a spec b:( but its very close mines a 5spd not 6 but same exact engine/turbo setup but looks just like that but very dark metallic blue :) . Yes im 17 but i think im prietty respect full of others and im going into boot camp in late august... then prison guard/night school... then state police... so ill make surr not to pull over you crazy prius drivers when your flying down the hills to get more mpgs... That was a fun game with that car but everyone has there hobbies... mines cars and girls... so subie4life :) .

13. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That was very hard to read. Way too many smile faces, broken thoughts and improper grammar. I thought a 13 year old girl had written that. Sorry dude.

I gave up a 2012 Mustang that I got brand new and loved for 2 years. I got my 2014 Prius to replace it and it's been a great decision. I'll be interested to see what you think of this decision in, let's say 8 years. I'm glad my Dad wouldn't let me get the cars I wanted when I was your age. The fun would have worn off quickly.

14. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Its funny how times and people can change. About 10 yrs ago I clearly remember being on a WRX board and saying "I didn't buy this car to get good mpgs, I bought it to have fun" to those whining about the poor fuel economy. Now I've got 3 kids, 2 Prius's and solar on the house. The WRX was fun, but it eventually it got old. 7 yrs in, still having at least as much fun playing the mpg game on my gen 2. 58.6mpg at 155 miles into this tank as of this morning :)

Its been an interesting ride, starting 1993 as a high school senior:
    1973 Saab Sonett III
    1979 Volv0 244
    1998 Ford Contour SE V6 5sp
    1993 Saab 900 Turbo 5sp Convertible
    1998 Land Rover Discovery SD
    2002 Ford Contour SE V6 5sp
    2005 Saab 92-X Aero 5sp (rebadged WRX Turbo)
    2005 Prius
    2008 Prius
    2013 Prius V

If I had the time and money I'd love to have that Sonett back and do a high end AC/Li EV conversion on it. At 1785 lbs it was lots of fun even with a stock 73hp fork lift engine. :)

[​IMG]

Prius-Paul and orenji like this.
  15. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

We've had a couple of similar cars. Here's my list:

1983 Saab 900 (called "The Box" for it's boxy shape compared to cars at the time, 2000.) It was like a yellowy color.
    2000 Ford Contour SE v6 5spd Maroon color
    2012 Mustang v6 Premium 6spd Grabber Blue
    2014 Prius Three Blizzard Pearl

16. acceleraptor

acceleraptor Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1985 Bronco II, "given" to me in 1996 Dark Metallic Green with Brown Striping and trim (that was only my responsibility to take care of and maintain, not to drive whenever I wanted, unless mom 'n dad weren't driving it and I'd asked permission first). This lived up to its top heavy reputation and rolled on the street, fortunately not killing me inside thanks to the roll bar.
    1983 Volvo 760 GLE handed down in 2001 Metallic Green

Family also had:
    1991 Plymouth Voyager Beige
    1997 Toyota Avalon Metallic Green
    1998 Toyota Sienna Metallic Green
    2014 Toyota Prius Plug-In Clearwater Blue Metallic

I also learned to regret telling dad when I was a kid that green was the best color "'cause it's the color of money (and nature)". Damn lifetime of green cars.. :cautious:

17. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Out of curiosity, what did you think of the front seat comfort in your Mustang? The reason I ask is because I once rented a Mustang (a convertible, not sure if it was a 5.0) and it had what were probably the most uncomfortable seats I've ever had the misfortune of sitting in. On the second half of my vacation, I rented a Kia. It was very comfortable and drove fine (somewhat ironic IMO).

18. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So you came here to tell us you hate what we love, proclaim Model: ---USA ONLY--- , then buy a Subaru?

We were all young once, and some still have remnants hanging on. I drive a C and still have my Z28, burn rubber, squeal tires, and go fast. It's not something easy to quit. All I could say is to be as safe as you can, and to be considerate of other drivers. You sound a little better than some youth I know, so maybe there's hope. However, could you tell me where you found the sale on 5gal buckets of emoticons?

It's inevitable, you will be assimilated:

[​IMG]

19. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I really liked them. I had the Premium package which came with leather seats. I never sat in the cloth ones. I found them uncomfortable on a distance ride (down to Columbia, SC about an hour and a half) but they were fine for every day driving. The Prius has much better seats as my trip to the beach (4.5 hours, 259 miles I think) was a lot more comfortable. I don't think the 5.0 has different seats. I know they have the base (cloth interior among other things) and the premium (leather interior and other goodies like ambient lighting) for each model. I wanted leather in the Prius but didn't want to get a Four so I got a Three and plan on adding leather but the fabric isn't bad. Though I have a 14 month old son and I imagine soon enough I'll hate fabric.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Subaru I pictured above was built in Indiana. Is that not part of the USA?