1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first car wash experience.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Porky Pine, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Porky Pine

Porky Pine New Member

My car was getting a little dingy after it's first couple of weeks, so I decided to take it to the car wash. As I sat in line (I had to turn off my stereo so that I could listen to the silence of the car as I creeped up) I was worrying "Should I let them in my car? Should I just insist on driving it up myself? Should I ask them if they had ever driven or even seen a Prius before?". After much internal debate, I decided that I wouldn't say anything but I would be standing there watching them the entire time.

After they cleaned the inside, I watched as the guy sat in the seat. After a few nervous seconds, the car was moving into the car wash. I continued to watch until I watched it start moving through the wash.

The only problem that occured was at the end. One of the dryers hopped into the seat to move the car and I could tell that he hadn't a clue as to what this car was and what to do with it. I had to tell him that I'll drive it out. I get into the car and notced on the screen that it was telling me to put the car into park otherwise the batteries won't charge indicating that the first guy actually got it right and put the car into neutral. When I drove it out, I saw the battery was below half but still in the blue. That's unusual in my case. Ever since I got the car, I have never had the battery even reach half-way. Boy, that thing drains fast!

All-in-all, it wasn't quite the disaster I was expecting it too be.

2. Batavier

Batavier Member

Indeed, it's always fun to watch people stare at the screens and gear selector in wonder what button to push...

* grins *

3. m6scott

m6scott Junior Member

You Are Brave I would not go thru that .. Get "MrClean" car wash system works great... 8)

4. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since I always disliked the fine swirl-like marks that hand washing, polishing and some car wash systems cause ... starting 3 years ago I've been using the hi-pressure wash systems. Some you drive onto a conveyer belt which moves you along and another tells you where to stop and the machine moves around the vehicle. The last car I had before the Prius (Sept 04) had a pristine finish - no swirl marks. Now that I have the Prius I certainly wouldn't let anyone drive/move her unless I was certain they knew what they were doing. As for cleaning the inside of my cars :lol: I've been doing that for 55 years and I'm not about to stop now. I do a better job anyway. My son loves me to visit as least long enough to babysit the grand-kids and clean the inside of his vehicle. Gotta keep busy!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey I was wondering, what about those car washes that have undercarriage washes (i.e. powerful streams of water that shoot up to wash the underside of the vehicle). Has anyone done that? Is it safe to drive the Prius through that? I'm just curious to know how well the electric systems are protected not just from splashes but from high pressure jets that shoot up at it.

6. Batavier

Batavier Member

I've had no problems with undercarriage washes .

7. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No problems to date.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I just had my car washed this weekend. I put a valet card on the dash, stuck in the seam between the front and back piece. They seemed to get it in the machine alright, but didn't know what to do when it got out.
    Showed them how to turn it on. They must have turned it on trying to get it going.
    Found the valet card gone. Later I found it crumpled over the sun visor.