1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first ever Prius and first ever Toyota. First maintenance task: Spark plugs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by VFerdman, Jul 18, 2017.

1. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just took delivery of the 2007 Prius with 175K miles from an original owner who did not realize these things have spark plugs. He took excellent care of the car and had basic maintenance done at various indie shops, so the spark plugs may have been changed, but I did not have a record of it being done and decided to do it before I drove the car too much more. I bought Denso SK16R11 plus at Advanced Autoparts for about $9/each. I was very happy to find out that the task was very simple and required only a 10mm socket and a 5/8 spark plug wrench, some extensions and a torque wrench. Start to finish in well under an hour. The old plugs were NGK IFR5A, which from what I understand is an older number for the NGK plug. From the looks of the old plugs they may have been in there from new. The car still ran perfectly and I only changed them because I know those are 120K mile plugs max and there was a good chance they were in there for 175K miles.

My first experience with servicing this vehicle is very positive. It was not that difficult to get at things and process was straight forward. I hope these plugs go the 120K miles they are designed for.

ETC(SS) and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some have said it is difficult to break them free, even at 120k.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I replaced mine at about 108K miles because well, like you say that's what you're supposed to do. They looked so good, I kept in the box of the new ones and somewhere around 300K miles maybe I'll swap the old ones back in.

edthefox5 and VFerdman like this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope you need new plugs again..... ;)

VFerdman likes this.
  5. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did not have trouble getting them free. It took a little effort to break loose, but not extraordinary. They came out just fine. I used anti-seize on the new ones as I always do on plugs.

bisco likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you have a torque spec, or just a certain angle of turn once they bottomed. The latter's probably safer if you've lubed them. FWIW third gen torque spec (assumed dry thread, lube not mentioned) is 15 ft/lb. I remove/reinstalled ours, with a sparing amount of anti-seize, and used 13 ft/lb. Basically I put a thin coat on, then wiped them clean fairly agressively with a rag, counting on there being some residual in the thread grooves.

7. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used a torque wrench set to 156 in*lb = 13 ft*lb. I really don't think the torque spec is critical here as long as

1. crush washer is crushed and
    2. plug not over-tightened causing undue stress on aluminum head

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Go ahead and try to change the headlight bulbs. We'll wait....... :)

Put a transaxle fluid change on your to do list.

9. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I know I picked the easy low hanging fruit to do first, but, hey, it's a start :)

What type of fluid goes into the transaxle? I assume it is a drain and replace type operation (usually gets part of the whole volume like 50%), not pump all out and renew close to 100%. I keep hearing that Toyota does not specify an interval on that fluid, leading many to believe it's not needed. I don't mind doing the work, but I am not an over-maintainer. If it's not called for I would say just leave it be.

10. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Pictures of my spark plugs after (most likely) 175K miles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Very good I would also change the belt no matter how it looks. Its only job is to turn the water pump. If the belt fails the pump stops pumping and you will never know till the you see an overheat icon on the dash which is too late usually head damage will result. No temp gauge in this car very very bad design. Its cheap and easy to replace and really pays off. I would not be surprised if its the original belt. You really have to remove it and bend it backwards to see how bad it is.
    Then move on to Inverter coolant replacement that will really give you a great bang for your cheap buck as your mileage will increase.
    Another really easy to do thing.

VFerdman likes this.
  12. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great! thank you. I know that the water pump was replaced on 9/21/2016. Is that the engine WP or the inverter WP? Is there a WP on the inverter? I would think they'd change the belt at that time, but I do not see it on the invoice.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    4 quarts Toyota ATF WS. This is drain and replace, and substantially all of the fluid will be replaced during the drain. If you don't have a service record showing that this has been done, it is way past due. You'll be shocked at the color of the old fluid, compared to new ATF fluid.

05PreeUs likes this.
  14. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Patrick. I will replace it ASAP since the PO just contacted me and said he never changed it because Toyota schedule did not call for it unless the car was used for towing or lots of hill climbing, neither of which he did. I must say that the color of the modern lubricants is not a good indicator as most of them contain detergents and will absorb dirt from the normal use very quickly. If you look at that transmission fluid after 2K miles, it'll likely look as dirty as after 100K. ATF is pretty tough stuff and in this transaxle does not really experience as much shearing as in conventional transmission. Toyota's recommendation is probably good. I have a car with a manual gear box and the manufacturer does not have an oil change on that ever. That car has close 190K now and is going strong. Over-maintaining can be as bad as under-maintaining. I think at 175K miles the Prius probably could benefit from a transmission fluid change.

So is there another type of ATF that is acceptable or just Toyota? I imagine Toyota stuff is expensive.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did mine at 135k.
    Those old plugs look iffy to me. Are they Iridium tipped? I don't see the Iridium. It says Iridium I think.

Apparently one plus of Gen2 is ease of spark plug replacement vs. Gen3.

16. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hadn't heard that before. I can't figure how it helps unless there's something wrong with it. Can you fill me in?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota cautions to not use anything but Toyota ATF WS, or risk damage. I'd take that to the bank, lol. It's not that expensive; last time I did ours it was $9.14 (Can) per litre, at the dealership parts department. They'll have replacement washers for fill and drain bolt too. Those buggers can be expensive, lol.

Just be sure to have the car raised and level, and fill till it starts coming back out. That is optimum level.

VFerdman likes this.
  18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I noticed an immediate increase in mileage after replacing the Inverter fluid. The coolant went from tepid circulation to very aggressive circulation looked like the water was on full boil after new fluid. Also the Inverter ran 5 degree's cooler as tested by my Fluke IR thermometer.

Inverter is the heart and soul of a Prius. More cool it runs the more effiecient it is.Think about it... its using water to cool electronics. No moving parts parts just high current Igbt's. The Inverter heatsink has a huge cross section of pure aluminum.

I also installed a bottle of Redline Water Wetter. Same color too. Running that in the rad and the Inverter. That stuff is great. Inverter really liked it. Been in the inverter 70,000 miles now. Still has boiling water aggression on circulation. The first initial replacement of Inverter coolant has all the aluminum wear in the fluid. I did mine at 30,000 miles. Same as the trans fluid the first change has all the break in wear.
    The aluminum contamination in the Inverter fluid slows circulation is very abrasive to the pump and water does not cool very well contaminated. Huge difference with new coolant.

No to mention the extensive cooling channels in the transmission this coolant services. Very big coolant chases surrounding the windings assembly. The windings are held up against these chases to heatsink the windings so the Inverter coolant system as a whole does a very critical job to maintain the Inverter and the trans.
    Toyota must have realized much later how important the cooling efficiency was because in the G3 they have a separate Inverter cooling radiator unlike the G2 which has the Inverter rad in the same case as the engine rad so there's alot of cross heatsinking from the engine there. My suspicion is if you installed a separate Inverter radiator you would probably gain another 5 mpgs. i thought about that for quite a while but theirs absolutely no room to put it anywhere under the hood.

Inverter coolant replacement is critical imho.

#18 edthefox5, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    VFerdman likes this.
  19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Any fluid that says WS Compatible will work fine. I have used Redlne D6 for over 10000 miles with excellent UOA's posted in the stickies.
    Lots of people over at Bitog use Walmart Brand WS with good results no issues at all. Nothing special about WS it is used in very wide variety of Toyota cars and Trucks its basically Dex6 which has a much lower viscosity for better mileage.

Google Redline D6 reviews.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Anything wrong with Toyota ATF WS?