1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My First Fill-up: 54.2 MPG!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by AfonsoSilva, Jun 5, 2005.

1. AfonsoSilva

AfonsoSilva New Member

[font=Comic Sans MS:05c2128b91]Hi Everyone,

I just got my first experience at the gas pump today! (With my new Prius, that is... :) )

Here are the numbers:

Odometer: 543 miles
    Partial Odometer (After dealer fueled up): 540.6 miles
    Pumped Gallons: 9.971 (after 3rd very slow click)
    MFD Average Consumption: 48.3 MPG
    Calculated Consumption: 540.6/9.971 = 54.2 MPG!

I am definitely happy!!! My daily commute to/from work is 17 miles each way, ~ 5 miles city and ~12 miles highway, but rush-hour traffic in the highway sometimes is a mess! So I would like to think that I should be right between expected city MPG versus highway MPG.

I wonder why the MFD average is so much off... :roll:

What do you think?[/font:05c2128b91]

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    pump another gallon in? haha

Wow, that is really really good mileage! congrats!

3. AfonsoSilva

AfonsoSilva New Member

Thanks!

I tried to pump some more, but I got the 3rd click and did not want to risk a spill...Also, in reading previous post I see not always we can get 10 gallons in the tank, so I believed the pump and stopped.

What an amazing machine the Prius is!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, oddly enough, the US pump that I used allowed me to have a fuller tank than the Canadian pumps.

I've never pumped more than 33 litres on an empty tank yet on a 4-bar-left tank, I pumped 28 litres (7 gals) at a US station and for the first time, I might reach 500 miles on a tank!

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Based on my calculation: Miles/MFD MPG = 11+ gallons used, so I figure you should have been able to put in another .5 gallons. Next few tanks averaged together should get you a better idea.

6. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Alfonso!

Gotta love that I-270 weekday jam from Germantown. Is that your main commute route? I used to live there until last fall and also enjoyed 50+ mpg average tanks until moving downcounty to Kensington. Now with much more stop and go at lights in DC, I haven't seen 50mpg since last fall.

7. AfonsoSilva

AfonsoSilva New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(randalla\";p=\"96067)</div>
    Hi Randalla,

Yes, I-270 is such a pain! I used to take the metro until 9/11, but then with the scare of further attacks + Anthrax, I got used to driving and got hooked to sitting in traffic and listening to NPR. It is amazing how the Prius made this so much FUN!

I envy you for living in Kensington, though! If I lived there I would be able to bike to work!!!

8. AfonsoSilva

AfonsoSilva New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"96060)</div>
    Hi DanMan!

I sware, I tried to fill in more, but I couldn't. I got 3 clicks and I was going as slow as possible on the nozzle.

How did you arrive at such calculations? can you please explain them to me? 540.6/48.3 = 11.19 gallons, which is 1.2 gallons more than I could fill...

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Often the MFD shows better averages than you actually get. At least it's that way for me. So since gal. used by MFD average was 11.19 so you should have at least been able to put in 10.5 gallons.

10. AfonsoSilva

AfonsoSilva New Member

Just as a follow up, it took me 132 miles to clear the first bar or the fuel gauge...Thus I take I filled the tank properly. I've already got 250 miles on this second tank and the computer is giving me an average of 53.8 MPG. I will keep everyone posted!