1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first flat tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Pixie, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Pixie

Pixie New Member

A camper I was passing dropped this under my rear right tire (the low friction ones the dealer supplies on delivery) the other day. Eh, it happens. Unfortunately, I was on a long, over water bridge at the time with posted signs that read "do not stop anywhere on this bridge [or we will happily pitch you over the side and send the traffic ticket to your next of kin]". All I could do was get into the right most lane and crawl the rest of the way across at 10 mph (posted limit was 50). Any faster and I started to hear a really loud thumping sound on the side of my car as the rubber end smacked its way around.

There was a utility truck right behind me who called a tow truck while we clawed our way across. By the time I got to the other end, a police officer was there to follow me off and make sure I was okay (not the best part of town for a petite woman alone to be broken down with a new car in) until the tow truck showed up seconds later.

The tow truck guy changed my tire (I could have done it myself but he was there, so I let him), explained the rules of driving on a donut (under 50 mph, fewer than 50 miles) and pointed me toward the tire repair shop a block and a half behind me. Before leaving, he asked how long I had waited for my car (7 months). Apparently, a friend of his almost bought one but couldn't handle the wait and ended up buying a Camry instead.

Moments later, I pulled into the repair shop's driveway to be greeted by the proprieter, who was playing an accordian decorated in sparkly red, white and green. I couldn't help but smile. We chatted while he fixed my tire and replaced it. Total cost? Six bucks. He's just starting up, so if you're in the area and need his services...

Brothers Luna Tire Shop #3
    (Used tires, flats fixed, balancing.)
    2276 National Ave.
    San Diego, CA 92133
    (619) 544-9129

So, if you're still here after this long-winded story, a few things of note.

1. I must have driven almost two miles on the flat (the bridge is 2.2). Aside from a few rubber marks on the hub cap, everything looks like it came out okay in the wheel department. Nothing bent; the tire looks okay.

2. The paint on the car was sealed a few weeks ago. Thanks to that, the mild scratching didn't reach it and it's hardly even noticable unless you have your nose three inches away.

3. My faith in humanity has been restored. It's so easy to get jaded living in the city.

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The tire may have internal structural damage which can cause dangerous problems in the future.

Go to your nearest Goodyear dealer and have it checked. I am not sure if they came with a road hazard warranty. It may pay to check the documentation that came with the car.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All US OEM tires come with a road hazard warranty. If it does need replaced that should cover it. It should also cover the cost of repair....if the hassel is worth $6 to you..it wouldn't be to me.

The Accordion story is priceless!!

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Efusco, I'd like proof of that. I paid extra for mine. If it comes with the car, I want my money back.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll look for it...I'm certain that Michelle Vande..whatever posted the info over on PriusOnline...that was the first I'd heard of it too.

6. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm almost positive that my Goodyear tires can with the warranty. I vaguely recall the brochure being shown and explained to me with all my other warranty stuff. I definitely didn't pay extra for it. Did you maybe pay for something that goes beyond the standard tire warranty? I have no idea where there is proof that the tire warranty is included with the car, maybe on the Toyota website?

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You really must be a PIXIE if you consider San Diego "THE CITY" which could make one jaded.

From the sound of your flat tire story, you must have sprinkled a dose of your magic Pixie Dust on the situation right after you got the flat.

Either that, or an APB "Code Pink" [distressed cute gir] was crackeling through the emergency radio frequencies.

I'm surprised you didn't say that the Navy had a Search & Rescue Helicopter hovering above . . . and that the Marines from Camp Pendleton were storming over the hill. :lol:

Magic Pixie Dust . . . is that the reason for the towel between you and the Prii in your Avatar? :wink:

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From the Prius FAQs at Toyota.com under Warranty

Prius customers are covered by roadside assistance and road hazard insurance for 36 months/36,000 miles from the vehicle’s in-service date. Examples of this service include flat tire, vehicle lockout and jumpstart. See your Toyota dealer for details.

10. Pixie

Pixie New Member

I did find the Goodyear warranty in the glove box when I finally pulled over and actually did attempt to reach them at two of the numbers listed on it. The first number was a recording that said I couldn't use it because I didn't live in the right area (???) and the second was a voicemail that gave the office hours (8-5 Eastern, so they were already closed).

One of my co-workers also cautioned me about internal damage. So, if I can find a local Goodyear shop, you can bet I'll be having it looked at. Thanks for confirming his suggestion.

As for San Diego, I do realize that I live in one of the nicest cities around. I also have a number of friends who live in that smog pit two hours north, just in case I ever forget it. However, even a nice city is still packed with too many people, too close together for my taste. I much prefer the small towns of my childhood, but there's very little work for me there.

... and as for the towel, it's time I came clean about that. It's a scarf. I did make sure I wasn't wearing anything even the least bit scratchy before going in for the hug, but that's all. If someone had suggested waiting until a towel was found, I would have said "are you kidding? I can't wait that long!" *HUG*

11. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) Sounds like that short bridge was the Del Coronado we are to assume? Doc is correct on the 36,000 miles or 36 months your tires are covered if your 05 came with the Prius Roadside Assistance Plan...

Ben

12. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  13. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) She should take it back to the Toyota Dealership. That way they will either reimburse and/or replace the tire under the Roadside Assistance Program for Prius.

Ben

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Get the tire checked that sounded like a long drive on a flat tire!

15. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A bit off-topic, but I've visited San Diego a few times and I love it there. Besides the San Francisco / Oakland area, it's the only other place in California that I'd want to live.

Dave

16. Pixie

Pixie New Member

Got the tire checked out this morning... no harm, no foul. Woot!

I got a chuckle out of teaching the mechanic how to pull my car into the service station....

17. hbolter

hbolter New Member

Pixie:

Hello from a fellow San Diegan! Not yet a fellow Prius owner (hope to be by next spring)...

I'm glad your tire adventure worked out OK. And it's nice to hear about the road hazard coverage...for some reason I didn't think it would cover something like a flat tire...probably just my cynical side! :)

Harrison

18. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pixie\";p=\"56549)</div>
    Pixie,

For your sake, I want to be sure that the mechanic correctly performed his check. The tire must be removed from the rim and the inside of the sidewall carefully examined for any signs of damage.

19. Pixie

Pixie New Member

Actually, Harrison, the road hazard coverage did not cover this because it was a puncture rather than a defect in the tire. However, since the tire has less than 5000 miles on it, if the Goodyear guys had found it to be unsafe, they were authorized to replace the tire at half the cost in a one-time, share the load kind of way.

While I didn't actually watch the guy inspect the tire, I did explain why I wanted it checked and spent enough time in the waiting area that I feel comfortable trusting that they did it properly.

20. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: HOW'S THAT? I thought a puncture WAS a "road hazard." If not, then how could we define "road hazard?"