1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My First Month Results (and a couple of questions)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by spyder123, May 3, 2005.

1. spyder123

spyder123 Junior Member

Well, it was six weeks ago today that I picked up my silver '05 Prius "loaded" with all the options.

I commute about 50 miles a day (round trip) and about 60% is highway. I've put about 1800 miles on the car and my total mpg is 46.4. This was manually calculated and not done by the MFD. I traded in a 2004 RAV4, loaded to the gills (a vehicle I absolutely loved) for the Prius because gas prices were just out of control. My trusty RAV got between 20-22 mpg so I have realized significant savings with the Prius.

The ride is as smooth as the RAV's; noise level about the same; handling as good as, if not better than the RAV.

I especially like the climate control and some of the nifty features that the MFD has.

I still think the vehicle looks "farty" whereas my RAV had a great sporty style. My sister and co-workers see the Prius as futuristic. Oh well, it's just my perception.

A couple of truly stupid questions considering I did read the manual, but what they hey, I'm a VP of IT, not an engineer (sorry Scotty!)

Could someone explain, in English what is happening when I see the auto icons or half auto icons on the display? Likewise, how does one interpret the moving arrows? Yes, I know that it indicates which way the power is flowing, but do the arrows show up in different colors, and if so what do they mean? I'm too busy watching the road to really concentrate on this screen.

I have read about a dealer installed "EV" switch. What is it? Do I need it? I live in Rhode Island and my commute is somewhat hilly. (40 mpg to work, 50 mpg coming home). I try to stay at 65 mph on the interstate and I use the CC quite a bit. Should I do this to get good mileage or not? Is 46 mpg decent for the first 6 weeks? How good (or bad) are the Goodyear Integrity tires? Should I buy new ones?

So many questions.... so little time!

Many thanks in advance from a 55 year old poop!

Spyder

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    'Dealer' unlikely to install EV switch, due to Toyota policy. It would lower your gas usage if you want to move the car a short distance on battery, like if after filling up you want to park the car to go pay for the gas.

CC works for me, MPG-wise. Others find their foot does better after practice. 46MPG sounds fine for a new Prius driver in a new car in this weather.

*I* think the OEM tires suck, and after 25K miles I'm working on dumping them. $50 mail-in rebate on Michelins until the end of the month means I'm shopping for the best deal on Hydroedge...

3. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get better mileage when I don't use the cruise control.
    I got Hydroedge tires put on at 35,000 miles. I think I'm taking somewhere between 1 and 2 mpg hit on mileage with the new tires, but they handle MUCH better than the old ones. (I used to average about 51 mpg, now 49-50 mph.)

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume you're referring to the leaf cars. Those represent 50Wh of power that you've regenerated. I think someone on PriusOnline said a car that stops from ~35mph produces 44Wh of power.

The arrows are coloured-coded for easy reference

5. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Spyder,

Tires: the OEM tires suck. Michelin Hydroedge are touted by users as being an excellent choice. I have the Goodyear Comfortred, they actually do reduce felt vibration, and vibration is the enemy of component life and body integrity.

MPG you get: Darn good for the conditions. I now have 9500 miles and the MPG took a sudden jump at 9000 miles, about 3,4 MPG boost. The car seems to be just now breaking in.

EV Switch: Sounds nice but do some research on this site, others have posted solid notes on putting in the EV Switch, which supposedly is standard equipment in Europe.

Where you are really off: This is THE HOT CAR, and that was driven home to me over the weekend. I was running the Scout rifle range, had my car parked in front of the range, got a number of inquiries about it. And those comments had to be coming from the four door pickup crowd that predominated the parking lot. Well, I still have mine but 90% of my driving needs are satisfied with a vastly nicer vehicle. Put some Comfortreds on your Prius and the ride will take a quantum leap in overall comfort. I feel like I went from a small car to a Lexus quality ride.

6. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Thought I'd field this one, since others have answered the other questions. (Besides, you're a VP of IT, so I'm sure you're used to asking techies to explain stuff. :mrgreen:)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spyder123\";p=\"86785)</div>
    There are basically 3 colors of arrows:
    • Red / pink: Power going from the ICE to drive the wheels.
      [*]Orange: Power going from the battery to drive the wheels.
      [*]Green
      Some of these can be seen at the same time -- i.e., orange and red arrows when you're accelerating hard; red and green when you're using the ICE to power the wheels, and also recharge the battery.

They're only a representation of what's going on in the hybrid system -- the actual mechanics are more complicated (and discussed extensively on other threads at PriusChat -- fascinating for techie geeks like me.) Close enough for government work.

Good for you!! That's exactly the right attitude to take with the Multi-Function Display (MFD).

I've actually switched mine off -- I only turn it on for audio or climate functions. I briefly turn the MPG screen on and off when I'm parking the car, but these days it's just to confirm the type of mileage I think I got.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

8. spyder123

spyder123 Junior Member

Thanks for the information everyone!

In a column yesterday in my local newspaper, The Providence Journal, the authors talked about hybrid vehicles and in particular the Prius. They stated that in order to save gasoline, you should *NOT* use the A/C or heater that much since the usage of either will drag mileage down considerably. However, I think I recall reading somewhere on this site that the A/C was electrically controlled. May I ask, what is the true answer?

I know I have more questions, but unfortunately, I cannot think of them now. (Maybe because I have to plan for a l-o-n-g staff meeting in an hour!)

Spyder

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I do notice a difference using A/C versus even having windows open. On my Saturn, I would estimate 4-5MPG difference with a 33MPG average.

For the Prius, I sense about a 2MPG difference. The A/C is very efficient, mostly because it is electric, and also because it puts out just enough cooling to do the job. If there is only a 3 degree difference from outdoor to desired cabin, it will run slower as opposed to a 20 degree difference.

Heat is a bit different. It depends on how much heat you need. ICE already produces waste heat, so if you are cruising down the highway where ICE runs continuously, a 10 degree requirement of heat (60 outside, you desire 70) won't do much. Stop and go traffic may be more noticable in MPG hit, since ICE might need to run to keep warm for you, and to make up for the heat you stole that it needs to keep itself warm, rather than not running and going elecric for the time being. Also greater temperature differential may put the car in a state that ICE is needed more for warmth than for motion.

Any car though will experience MPG hit using A/C, but not so much for heat, as the car will always at least idle.

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Good explanation Dan, but a question: Don't open windows wreak havoc with the excellent aerodynamics? On a hot day, wouldn't you get better mpg with the AC on and windows closed than with the windows open destroying the laminar flow, particularly at higher highway speeds?

I like to turn off the AC just to enjoy the silence, even though the system is very quiet. EV with AC off is like gliding.

11. paul16451

paul16451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spyder123\";p=\"87114)</div>
    The true answer is this: The A/C is electrically controlled IF you keep the fan on the "LO" setting. Set the fan any higher and the ICE kicks in.

I find, however, that the LO setting is usually more than sufficient to keep the interior at the temperature I like.

12. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I don't think that is correct. The 2004/5 A/C is all electric, and independent of ICE operation.

13. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    they are connected, sort of

I agree with you, sort of, KTPhil. On another thread I read of a man in Florida sitting at the mall waiting while his wife shopped. The AC ran electric until the battery went down to 2 bars, then the ICE kicked in to charge it. So, they are connected through the battery's charge level. :idea:

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Well, yes of course, same with driving the car in EV mode using the switch. That's how the car maintains BSOC. Still is electric compressor/fan independent of ICE.
    However, running heat on a really cold day will run ICE as ICE directly generates the heat. There is an electric heater, but pretty anemic and only there to give you SOME sort of heat until ICE warms up enough.

As for aerodynamic drag, many say this, but I didn't see it that way for my Saturn. With the Prius, that is hard to say, as we are only talking about maybe 2MPG, many other factors can do this as well, including prevailing winds.