1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first nail!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Nda3rdCar, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

Hi everyone and Happy Easter,

Last night the Tire Pressure Warning Light came on. I checked the tires, but none of them seemed low. So I drove surface streets back home and checked the pressures this morning. One tire (Passenger Rear) was down to about 28 pounds. I pumped it up and turned on the car.... no more light. (Did not have to re-set TPMS) So checking over the tire I found a nail. First tire change is pretty simple. Spare tire should be at 60psi. The wheel is SCHOOL BUS YELLOW! uuugh! Just to let people know. The original tire does not fit in the spare tire well. At least I couldn't get it in there. The jack is easy to use and everything has a mapped out place in the plastic trays. Nail is close to the edge, but not on it... hope it can be plug patched. At least this made me read the owners manual about tire pressure monitors.... interesting technology. Safe driving everyone! - Nda3rdcar B)

2. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nda3rdCar @ Apr 8 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]419839[/snapback]</div>
    Your car should have come with a bag containing tie-down straps in the storage compartment. Those are to secure the damaged tire in the cargo area while the spare is being used. Good luck and have a Happy Easter.

3. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

LOL, in the past 2-3 months or so I've run over a bolt and a freakin screw. 1 tire could be patched, but I had to replace my 2 front tires when I hit the bolt. They had some weird tread wear, but after getting it checked out they couldn't find anything wrong. No odd wear on the new tires, though they aren't LRR like by back ones, but ohh well. I didn't even know about the tire with the screw until the morning. Girlfriend pointed out that it was flat. Unfortunately I don't have the tire pressure warning system on my car.

Yea, I hate the spare tire. I actually couldn't figure out where to place the damn jack for like 10 minutes, and it was below freezing outside. I had my jacket and gloves off the whole time, damn near froze my hands off, LOL.

Sadly I think I hit that bolt and screw in about the same damn place, the entrance to my apartment complex. Boy, did that suck.

BTW, since we are talking about tires is it possible for a tire to lose 30 PSI or so because the cap on the tire is loose? Cause that just happened on one of my tires. It looks fine, but my friend said that's impossible. The cap is there for a reason though, it's not there to look pretty.

4. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ Apr 8 2007, 02:50 PM) [snapback]419883[/snapback]</div>
    The tire stem has a valve in it that keeps the air in the tire. The cap on the stem is to keep dirt and gunk out of the valve. I suppose it makes it look prettier too, but it is not intended to keep the air in the tire. If you find that you lose air when the cap is loose you should go get your tire stem replaced because the valve in it is faulty.

5. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Highly ImPriused @ Apr 8 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]419882[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, Thanks! I have those straps in the side storage compartment....

6. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nda3rdCar @ Apr 8 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]419964[/snapback]</div>
    There are actually instructions fully describing how to strap down your damaged tire inside the little bag that the tie-down straps come in.

For those of us who use our left side of the 'ole noggin, I guess ... ;)

7. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Believe it or not, I picked up a 1/4x 4" bolt a few weeks ago!!!?!?!?!?!?!?

Was headed to get the sunday paper -drove around the corner and thunk-thunk thunk. stopped and souldn't see anything. drove a couple of car lenghts, still thunking. then I saw a bolt head. It was hitting the wheel!!!!!

The AAA guy said he's even pulled a pair of pliers out of a tire- yikes!!!!

he plugged it for me and so far all is ok...... :blink:

8. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

No offense to the OP or anything, but where could I get the stem replaced at? I've never heard of anyone replacing the stem on a tire before.

BTW, the tire seems to be fine now, but since I haven't checked the PSI since then IDK for sure.

9. bpeschka

bpeschka Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ Apr 9 2007, 08:40 PM) [snapback]420592[/snapback]</div>
    Any tire place should be able to replace the valve stem. They could also just tighten it for you, since it could be loose. The core just screws into the stem. I've used needle nose pliers to remove and insert the core on bike tires that have the same valving. (called Schrader).

Good Luck

10. charliem

charliem New Member

Icarry plugs and a pump with me at all times.Fix the flat right on the spot.I also carry a bottle of water mixed with a detergent in case there is no nail in sight.simple as 123 done.

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind of plug kit, that you'd trust for an in-the-field repair?
    What if the bead has unseated?
    _H*

12. charliem

charliem New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Apr 11 2007, 03:22 AM) [snapback]421363[/snapback]</div>
    Its the same plug that that your repair shop uses,no difference.Have been preforming this procedure for years with no ill effects.Saves money and time.Its sold at all auto shops as well as k-mart.Kit contains plugs,glue.and file.simple 123 done.

13. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

How can I tell if the stem is loose or if there is a micro hole in the tire that can be repaired with some tire sealant?

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Spit. Well, whatever liquid is handy if you don't have an actual
    dunk-tank handy for the whole tire.
    Thanx for the info about plug kits. I've been leery about trying
    one of those myself since I've seen all the rumors that they're
    unreliable and you really need to do a patch on the *inside* as
    well, thus breaking the bead and all. Guess not, huh?
    _H*

15. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

You mean just put some liquid around the stem and see if there are any bubbles? I guess I'll go try that. Thanks.

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have been told by tire-people that plugs are not a wise choice for radial tires. Mine have all been done by internal flat patches, which of course means dismounting the tire and so forth. Most tire-people are understandably reluctant to patch within 1/2 inch of the sidewall.

The new model Prius (15 inch wheel) tires will fit in the wheel well if they are mostly deflated. Which is not too much of a help...