1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first Prius drive.... :)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dee67, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Dee67

Dee67 New Member

Today I rented a 2007 Prius, took my first Prius drive and am now making my first Prius post (what a day) :D

I've got the car until Monday afternoon (2 full days/nights) and just love most of the experience.. especially all the brilliant design things, (extra storage, pushbutton start, shifter, hybrid technology, readouts, etc, etc)...

I am currently (and looking to reform) a V8 SUV owner - unfortunately one of "them" but obviously, looking to become one of "us"... We all learn and evolve at different rates so please be kind..

So like I said, I love the car and especially the mileage.. reset the thing and am getting between 45/50mpg.. which is crazy unheard of for me since I'm used to (cough) 13.... Anyway..

A couple things are sticking out as problems for me.. and I would love if anyone could provide some input in how I might improve these situations for myself so that I might buy one of these gems...

A) Driving position and comfort.. after about 30-45 minutes I find the seat hardish, butt starts getting a little sore and my legs start cramping just above the knee.. The seats are cloth. Has anyone done anything that improves the seat cusioning, making it softer? And.. is there som magic way to get a more comfortable driving position?? Seems the steering wheel is too far away when I pull the seat back far enough to "ahhhh" my legs.. Behind the knee support seems short, but these aren't power seats so there is no angle adjustment for the seat cushion..

B.) Off the line acceleration... I've been climbing the hills around the house, merging on the highway and everything fine (initially to my surprise).. but am finding when I need to cross a street (turning left and crossing lanes) when I hit the gas pedal, there is a lag of time before it delivers the juice.. thankfully, the first times I tried it there was no oncoming traffic.. Is there a secret to get instant "NOW" pedal?

Thank you for any/all comments and suggestions - I truly appreciate it. B)

2. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hah, you did what I did several years ago! I rented a Prius for a 3 day trip to Oregon because I figured it'd be the best way to fully test one out. I was sold.

Re: seat comfort... I'm super short, so the seat's length under my butt isn't a problem, so can't help you there. Sorry. Maybe one of the taller posters here can help you.

Re: off the line acceleration.... i just floor it hard if I need to be super-quick about turning left and crossing lanes. I know how long it will take to cross traffic, so I judge my target and hit the pedal accordingly. Having gone from a manual tranny sports car with instant throttle response to the Prius, it's acceleration feels like many automatic SUVs do to me. Some "automatic lag", but not bad. You get used to it.

I hope this was somewhat helpful to you! Enjoy your Prius and welcome to PriusChat!

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not much you can do about the lag. You just get used to it.

As for the seats, some people have done some modifications. You can do a search to find the posts. I have my seat moved back, tilt the back a bit and use a lumbar support and it's fine for me. Everyone has to find what works for them. (Others have taken the seats completely apart and added foam, padding, heaters, leather etc.)

For me, for the mileage I'm getting I can deal with the seats.

4. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

I'm a tallish AND biggish kind of guy, but I've found the seats to be immensely comfortable, even on long trips. Sorry I can't help.

There are some posts here that describe some serious surgery--adding length to the seat rails and the like--as well as simple things like extra foam in the cushions at strategic points. I'm thinking DarrellD did something like this, but can't remember offhand.

Definitely do a search on this topic. It's been covered very well.

5. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

Dee67, welcome to the forum!

The seats in the Touring might be different... the leather seats might also be different... I do find the leather seats in our '06 more comforatble for long drives than the cloth seats in the '05. Maybe it's because the leather is a little more slidey than cloth. I realized on various long trips in all sorts of vehicles (planes trains & automobiles) that every few minutes I tend to scootch around in any vehicle's seat unawares. In a cloth car seat I don't get that easily, particularly with microfiber cloth like the Prius uses.

You might get a little more instant power with an aftermarket filter like a K&N. I've found there are generally 3 ways to improve this: (1) manual shift, which transfers the lag to my brain, where I won't notice it; (2) excess power, such as driving a car with 3x the HP it needs instead of just 1.5-2x; (3) increased flow, such as reduced-resistance air filters, oversized injector jets, etc. With the Prius, I haven't done any of these things, but I've done various combinations of these in the past on other cars.

Mostly, those of us who like to "push" our Prii into and through traffic have gotten good at anticipating when we will want the power boost and automatically building it into our driving behavior. When I feel like "playing with the dodgers" in 58-78mph heavy highway traffic, I find there are few times where I pass up an opening based on my car's throttle; more often, if I take a conservative tack it's due to the handling. This can be improved in an '07 by getting the Touring model, which has a stiffer suspension, bigger wheels, and wider tires.

6. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dee67 @ Jul 14 2007, 01:58 PM) [snapback]478750[/snapback]</div>
    Is it possible that you've activated the traction control or the stability control? Either or both of these systems will reduce engine power during abrubt maneuvers.

7. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The lag occurs because the transmission does not downshift. In a regular car, it downshifts, the ICE immediately increases rpms, and the car shoots forward with the engine screaming. Under the same circumstances, in the Prius there's hesitation for a second or so and then gradual acceleration.

8. Dee67

Dee67 New Member

Thank you for all your replies and welcomes...

After doing another good length drive it seems the right leg position over the seat cushion that's the thing for me.. I'm finding cramping and fatigue right above the knee and all the way around the leg.

Regarding the lag, I think part of it is I haven't learned the sweet spot on the accelerator yet.. It seems to me that as several of you have mentioned there is a definite anticipation thing that'll help, but in addition it seems I have over accelerated (chirping the tires) and under accelerated (would have got creamed if oncoming traffic was an issue).. I'm pretty sure that with a little practice I can get better at the proper pedal push..

This car is just amazing on gas. Acceleration tests, climbing long, huge hills, merging onto highways and still averaging over 40mpg..

I will try filling out the space behind my knee with something to see if it makes any difference.

9. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Dee67,

Standard cars have a thing called "enrichment" when the pedal is pushed quickly. An extra squirt of gas goes into the engine to get it to accellerate quickly. Ever been behind a Beemer when it takes off? That puff of smoke is a result of the enrichment action.

The Prius starts off on electric, and ramps up the engine rpm more slowly. This avoids needing to put that extra squirt of gas into the engine. The car is quiet during the initial movement which is propelled by only with the torque of the motor (MG2 to be precise) using electricity from the battery. Which is good, but not as good with the electricty generated by the engine, as well as the battery. The battery only has 28 hp to drive the motor. The pause you are experiencing is the time it takes the engine to come up to speed, without a big puff of smoke, and wasted fuel out the tailpipe.

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You can get ergonomic seat cushions such as the Obus Forme ones (www.obusforme.com/). Dr Scholles also makes some.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dee67 @ Jul 14 2007, 01:58 PM) [snapback]478750[/snapback]</div>
    hello and welcome!

The lag is because the engine is off and you start off in electric. If you want to get rid of the lag (if you know you need to dash across), then get the engine to idle.

You can do it several ways

1. Have your left foot on the brake and your right foot slightly on the accelerator
    2. when you brake, shift into "B" and it'll idle when you stop (but it'll be a bit rough cause the engine's trying to shut down and it can't so you will feel vibrations)
    3. In the winter, just have the front defroster running.

12. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 14 2007, 06:46 PM) [snapback]478876[/snapback]</div>

OMG, are you saying that it's possible to take off in a "racing" type of manner (i.e. w/normal cars you rev rpms to ~2k w/clutch in, release and go chirp-ZOOM!)? LOL, I never thought you could do that (although Prius-style) in our cars.... I'll have to try that just to see what happens (chirping tires? Instant zoom?).

13. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you chirp the tires on a fast start, you will often feel the traction control kick in. It will reduce engine power to keep you from over-revving the electric motor.

14. Dee67

Dee67 New Member

What a great amount of useful, good replies - thank you all so much.

The above knee fatigue is actually better today, like my leg just needed to get used to a new position... not ideal, but definitely not even 50% of what it was.

The acceleration is definitely a thing that simply takes some getting used to.

The Prius is showing me an entirely different "curve" of acceleration from a dead stop... and in this car it feels totally natural - too bad the iron-footed, angry people behind me couldn't get used to the new rate of accelerating before blasting past me at the speed of light, only to be even with me by the time we hit 40mph... :lol:

15. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Jul 14 2007, 09:08 PM) [snapback]478942[/snapback]</div>
    Aww, dang... LOL! :lol:

I guess they must have disabled the traction control in that Bonneville racing Prius, eh? Or maybe you don't take off in the normal racing style when you're at Bonneville (seeing as you have ALL that room to get up to speed)?

16. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you are tall, the easy way to fix the seat is to unbolt the front of the seat, put some shims and a longer bolt in, and you will be in business.
    Another option is to put an aftermarket seat in.

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To minimize chirp and apparent accelerator lag: mash the pedal to the floor in a smooth motion over a period of about one second, and then just hold it there. This keeps the huge starting torque of the electric motor under control until the car has a chance to start moving. It also allows the engine to start and rev up. After that first second results should be satisfactory.

Keep in mind that on gravel, wet or other slippery pavement the antislip feature is likely to kick in and limit acceleration no matter what you do; therefore you must *avoid* situations that require high acceleration on imperfect surfaces.

18. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I, on the other hand, am on the "short" side...so I did a quick and easy modification, since I was used to electric seats that adjusted quite well to my height. Bough a 2" cushion, cut it to fit and put it underneath my cozy, comfy lamb seatcover.
    As far as acceleration, after driving a diesel...Prius is very peppy.