1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My FIRST problem with my '04 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by djasonw, Aug 15, 2005.

1. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had my Prius since 11/03 and never had any issues. I am sure this one is minor. I hope it hasn't been discussed before. The rheostat which controls the intensity of the display has not effect on it. I was driving home from the Hamptons and had to use the NAV in day mode because of this problem. I was wondering if anyone ever had this issue. It certainly is not major, but just an inconvenience as it means a trip to the dealer for such a minor thing.

On a lighter note, I averaged 51.00 r/t from my house in Nassau county to Southhampton (125 miles r/t).

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry, are you saying that the problem you're having is that when driving with your lights "ON" that your display is too dark and won't lighten up at all with movement of the rheostat?

Any mods? Any other problems? MFD and/or just the speedometer display thing?

3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To me, it sounded like he was saying that he could no longer use the thumb wheel to dim the display and that the MFD stayed in the bright "day" mode, as if you had the thumb wheel in it's all the way up, notched position.

4. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No mods at all, other than utilizing the NAV override now and then. I've never tinkered with any of the electronics as I am not as savvy as you folks. What merely happens is that the dimmer control (rheostat) has NO effect on dimming the speedometer dislay or turning the NAV screen to night mode. I am assuming the switch failed.

5. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Marlin... that is exactly correct. I'll bring it in when I have my next oil change. Nothing I can do now.