1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first question!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by xbdude, Jan 30, 2006.

1. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Got my 2006 super white package 3 a week ago and so far everything is just GREAT. I notice the energy monitor indicates that while coasting and NOT applying the brakes the battery is being recharged. Is this correct, or do the brakes have to be applied before recharging takes place?

Interestingly enough, I'm in North Central Florida and my car did NOT come with Toyoguard. I read an earlier post that mentioned that spraying the interior with Scotchguard fabric protector and putting on a good coat of wax such as Nu Finish will do basically the same thing. I did just that.

This site has been a great help to me, having read many posts prior to getting my car. My thanks to everyone!

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    the thing slowing you down when you let go of the gas is the battery recharging. if you apply the breaks you will recharge even more. clever no?

if you want to coast (and have a warm engine and "green" battery you can push the gas pedal every so gently. this will give you almost true neutral coasting

3. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When you lightly press the gas pedal and have no arrows showing, that is referred to as "gliding."

"Coasting" as in "coasting to a stop" recharges the battery and is intended to simulate the engine drag on a conventional car.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The operation of the Prius transmission was designed to work this way to mimic a “normal†car . . . to make the Prius drive and feel like a “normal†car.

If you wish to coast further, try “gliding†by barely pressing the gas pedal until you see no arrows. In this state you are neither recharging or driving with battery assist.

[I was going to write here that if PriusChat has been that big a help to you, that you consider helping Danny maintain PriusChat by making a donation . . . but I can't find a “donation†area . . . DANNY???, MODS??? help.]

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks again, everyone. Can't wait to try some of this stuff!