1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first tank after EL010-04 fuel gauge update

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JHartman, Oct 18, 2004.

1. JHartman

JHartman New Member

I filled up this morning after running a full tank after the fuel gauge update. Unfortunately the pumped shut off a little over 7 gallons. The low light came on at around 385 miles, which was slightly better than my usual 350 miles, but certainly nothing to cheer about. I was pleased that the last 3 bars did not disappear in 20 miles as I had been experiencing, however the middle bars did disappear very quickly and the first bar took 120 miles to disappear. My mileage on this tank was my best ever, 50.9 mpg according to the display so I certainly should have been able to travel further. I did squeak in an extra gallon on the last fill-up so I know the tank was completey filled. At this point I would not recommend the update to others.

2. jmdor

jmdor New Member

I had a little better luck than you. I finally got my car down to one flashing bar (I don't normally commute in an area where I can let it go down that far between bars dropping off), and filled up. I got a record 9.502 gallons without topping off, on a tank of 403 miles. I normally go about 300-350 miles. It's not a huge improvement, but it is a measurable improvement.

Jeanne

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    a little off subject in a way.. but about gas mileage.

when i fill my tank, i usualy put 9.5 gallons in. The thing is, according to total distance driven devided by mpg, i'm comming up with extra fuel in the tank. Maybe.. and i've been thinking this for a while. The fuel gauge is sensative. I'm thinking there may be almost 11 gallons of fuel in the tank but the fuel gauge isn't registering it. On several occassions i could have driven extra miles.. at least 50 before out of fuel and when i filled up it's still about the same amount. Does this make sense to anyone else.. i feel a little out of it today.. not sure what's wrong.. but yeah.. that's my "bladder" theory.

basically.. wherever you drain it down to, will be it's new empy spot. am i wrong or just crazy today? lol :)