1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My First Tank (of gas)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by cnetter, Dec 21, 2004.

1. cnetter

cnetter New Member

I've had my new Prius a week now and was told to "Add Fuel" this morning, so I figure this would be a good time to throw out some new user comments.

Average drive time temperature mid 30's (F)
    Miles on car 463 (all but 3 of them were mine)
    MPG (as reported by the MFD) 49.9
    MPG (based on fuel added) 53.2 (but it was cold, so the bladder ...)

Actually, until last night the MFD was reporting 50.6MPG, but I was running cold so I had the heat cranked up to 71(F). Normally I keep the cabin temperature around 66/67. The higher temperature setting had a noticeable affect on the mileage.

I keep reading that the mileage improves after the break-in period. Oh boy, I can't wait!

Other comments (in not particular order):
    • I really like the 'consumption' screen. That instantaneous MPG rating on the right definitely affects my driving.
    • If you turn the histogram on the consumption screen upside-down, you can almost get a topographical layout of the roads I drive. :)
    • It would be nice if the bars on that histogram were narrower, so they would cover more time.
    • This car has an MPG sweet spot around 37 MPH. There are a couple of roads that I take where the speed limit is 35 for 4 or 5 miles. I can set the cruise control at 37 and watch the average MPG creep up.
    • The SS/SE feature is cool. But I need to play with the settings.
    • When we picked the car up at the dealer, the MFD kept blanking out. It wasn't that it had the "off" option set. It was because it kept returning to the "trip info" screen AND nobody had ever viewed that screen before. Once I went to that screen all was well.
    • If my teenage daughter is sitting in the front seat, waving at other Prius owners is even more fun. (I've always told them that my job description included embarrassing the snot out of them.) :lol:
    • I don't think I've waved at Bob (Pea Soup) Andersen yet, but I'm looking.

• Merry Christmas, Happy Solstice, a belated Happy Hanukkah and a Happy and Prosperous New Year to all

Chris