1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My First Tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by RadMarv, Dec 13, 2004.

1. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

Computer screen 43.3

Actual 367 Miles 8.8 Gallons = 41.7

One major hill both ways to and from work. Mostly city driving.

Short HWY trip this weekend all flat computer shows 50.4 MPG average for 210 miles.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it will get better. city driving will make or break your mileage. its also the toughest to master for good economy. the best thing to remember is there is no advantage to waiting at a red light. it takes real patience and knowledge of the area you are in to really excel at this but it can be done.

master it and you will see a 10 mpg improvement. does it mean coasting for 6 blocks?? sure why not? for me, coasting that far means a shorter wait for traffic to clear a light...but if i have to wait at all (means hitting the brakes, then i didnt coast enough)

highway driving is a no brainer most of the time. everyone will get 50+ mpg if they drive the limit.

3. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have about 220 miles on my first tank with ~40mpg too. Its been going up and up and up the more I drive it.

4. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I just filled up for the first time. Calculated 43.5 mpg for the tank approx.
    (don't know the exact mileage where dealer filled it.)

Worst mileage was 42 on my short 12 mile commute to work. Took a back route that was slower and got 58.8 mpg. Trips mileage was always over 50 after about 15 minutes warm up, and staying under 70 mph.

Also noticed mileage seemed to improve even during the one tank. When I started I didn't notice much stealth mode either. Now I get it a lot when under 40 mph. I suppose this could be some kind of breakin computer setting that I am now past?

Best part was this tank I got stuck in a traffic jam going about 5 mph for close to an hour. Didn't exactly help mileage but didn't hurt either! Seemed to still stay up close to 50 mpg. Seems critical that it was pretty steady 5 mph not the 0 10 0 of most traffic jams.

5. ggalanti

ggalanti Junior Member

I've just started my second tank of gas. I'm not doing too well. It's averaging around 31 mpg in the city, according to the energy consumption screen. Could I be doing something wrong?

6. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is your tire pressure? How much oil is in the gas tank? What is your driving style? We need to know these things if you seek answers

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    heavy traffic will kill your mileage. it prevents you from timing lights, heavy coasting and pacing. also other drivers are unpredictable causing sudden unplanned stops, etc.

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flareak\";p=\"58078)</div>
    I hope ZERO!! :)

Nice picture Geri-Ann. You need to find a trained Prius driver to sit with you. :)

I'm sure no one is leaving a lot of room between cars in your neck of the asphalted woods. You need to start a trend. Learn the 'foot off enough to have no arrows' trick. The car doesn't slow as much as fully off (no regen happening), but you are using no gas and will still get there. If you can manage to arrive at the tail end of the car in front of you when they have gotten back up to speed after a stop, you are golden. :) Of course this is not always possible, but at least try to still be moving when you catch up. The less speed you have to recover, the less gas you wasted.

9. ggalanti

ggalanti Junior Member

I wondered about that "oil in the gas tank" question! I've been driving in a lot of stop and go traffic. I've been watching the info screen and trying to get it to show the bar with mileage at a high level ... mostly from coasting. I'm trying to use it as a kind of feedback device, so I'll learn to do more of what gets high mileage, and less of what gets low mileage. I still haven't figured out the diagram of the wheels & engine with the arrows. What should I be aiming for? No arrows? How do you get that? And how high should the bars be in the picture of the battery? Mine is usually half way up or just a bar or two higher.

I sure would LOVE to have a trained Prius driver to show me how to do it right. Any volunteers in Los Angeles?

Glad you like the photo. :)