1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first year of gas consumption figures

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by toyolover, Nov 29, 2010.

1. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Here is my first 365 days summary of my gas consumption:

Total Km driven: 26300KM
    Driving condition: 50/50 City and Higway combined.
    Driving location: Toronto, Canada and occassion long weekend trip to south of the border.
    Driving mode: ECO 80%-85% of the time.
    Road conditions: All year round (Nov. 2009 to Nov. 2010)
    Maintenance: Stick to Toyota specified service schedule.
    Engine oil used: Once with Castrol 0W50 full synthetic, then Toyota 0W30 after. (Note: Some say the Toyota is not full synthetic but its bottle says "Synthetic Oil".)
    Tire: Original OEM Bridgestone Ecopia 195-65R-15
    Total liter consumed: 1504 liter (Regular)
    Consumption (Actual): 5.721 L/100km = 41.16 mpg (US gallon)

I think the actual consumption is good but still kind of disappointing when comparing my annual actual figures here with those from Toyota advertised numbers of 3.81 L/100km in city/hwy combined. My actual consumption is 33% less than Toyota claims.

I am not a heavy foot driver so I don't understand how some of us can achieve so much higher with some even reported a higher number than Toyota's. I could drive a little slower and more watchful in the multi-display but then it annoys cars behind me and not much fun in driving. If that is the case, I may as well ride a bike.

Overall car quality: 9 out of 10.
    Over fuel consumption: 8 out of 10.
    Overall satisfaction: 9 out of 10.
    Recommendation factor: 9 out of 10 (if you don't mind paying extra to save the environment.)

Hope this will help the to-be-buyers.

2. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I appreciate your information, but I really expected to see 12 months of data on mpg, fill up's and such. And I just knew Bob Wilson would chime in and convert everything to a graph for us. :D If you don't live in the mountains, grill blocking may help you with mileage since you live in a colder climate.

3. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for sharing Toyolover. I'm nearing the end of my first year, sitting at 49mpg calculated. I expect it to fall because I have two months of winter left. I may have done no more than 1000km of highway, out of 13000km so far. Highway is where it suffers, and I do try to pulse + glide when possible. And the freeways in TO doesn't help your cause either.

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Toyolover,

I am wondering if not using the specified 0W20 Oil you are not getting closer to the advertised fuel economy?

You might be accellerating too slow. A good acceleration rate in suburban driving enviorment (low speeds, and long distances between lights) is between the ECO leaf and the power band on the HIS. This avoids battery drainage during acceleration, leaving that energy available for hill toping, and warp stealthing at the end of a trip.

Also check your tires - 42/40 PSI.