1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ken Willingham, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Ken Willingham

Ken Willingham Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Replaced the hybrid battery in my 2006 Prius yesterday. (March 16, 2016) The car has 116858 miles and is just over 10 years old. I was surprised that it went out and my shop got a rebuilt Dorman Products battery for $2540 installed. It has a 2 year part and labor warranty and a 3 year part only warranty which is longer than I'll keep the car before getting a new Prius within a year or two.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Keep the warranty in a good safe place, chances are you'll need it before the 2 years is up.

3. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^ sad but true, in my recent experience.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Generally the Dorman batteries have a reasonably good reputation here, or at least they honor their warranty.

Personally though I would have spent just a few hundred more for a new battery from Toyota, one that would likely last another 10 years or more. I really don't like the idea of paying almost new prices for second hand consumables.

exstudent likes this.
  5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exstudent, more than just the ECU must be transferred over.
    There was a change in practice earlier this year.
    If people go the route of a new pack they need to be more methodical to be sure they don't miss transferring over all the missing parts.

Also, just because the price is online does not mean the dealer will actually sell it to an untrained consumer.
    Definitely call the dealer and confirm before posting their info as a source or removing the pack in anticipation of replacement.