1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my laughable idea to upgrade radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Bob Allen, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi: I asked my Toyota dealer's parts department guru about upgrading the standard single CD radio to the deeeeeluxe radio / 6 CD changer. I correctly guessed that it would involve more than just swapping out one unit and shoving another one in. There's the interface with the computer and the MFD, etc.
    Well, we never got that far in the discussion, i.e., how to interface with the MFD. I was stunned to find out that the deluxe radio and changer costs nearly $1200 bucks. Factor in whatever it would cost to connect it all to the MFD, if it's even possible to do that, and we are talking "airplane parts levels" of monetary outflow.
    The dealer guy said it might be simpler to go to Car Toys or someplace like that and have them install a CD changer that would work like a small radio and transmit the signal to the existing radio which would be tuned to some unused FM frequency. Sounds Rube Goldberg-ish, but I think this is how the XM add on radio works.
    Have any of you upgraded? If so, how? And what did it cost you?
    Bob
    p.s. I wonder if there will be an aftermarket for fake autodimming rearview mirrors and dummy steering wheel buttons, to make our medium tricked out Prii (options 1-7) look like the maxi tricked out number 9's. (that would be option 4 looking like option 6 for you 2005-ers)

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why don't you just get the Toyota 6-cd changer that goes in the pocket?

Nate

3. bobc

bobc New Member

Yeah,

I think the Toyota changer goes for $450...

4. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is the changer separate from the radio? I thought it was all one unit. Does the changer fit into the empty space under the radio in the standard radio option packages?
    How would that changer interface with the MFD?

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Throught the expansion plug behind the radio where many have been connecting the XM radio, IPod controllers, Aux-In devicees, etc.
    The MFD will recognize it as CD2.

Which makes me think, if you connect a changer to a JBL system, would you get 12 selectable CDs, 6 in each CD bank?

Edit: note, if you have or get an aux or IPod device, it won't work with the external CD changer because they pretend to be that changer. SAT would be fine, it has its own ID.