1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My LED foglights won't/don't work...Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by arek, Feb 5, 2013.

1. arek

arek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi Folks,
    For reference, I have a 2012 Advanced Plug-in.

I First started with buying H16 halogen bulbs and that base had nothing to do with the type of base the car needs. How do I explain this....the pig tail from the car requires a bulb base that looks like the H11. Even though the manual says H16 for the fogs. So I couldn't use those. Then I bought H11 Xenon Halogen fog lights (supposedly hyper white) that were 55 watts each. Those fit but keep blowing my fuse. So I bought H11 27LED's which fit the plug but didn't fit inside hole of the foglight housing...(the diameter was too big on the light).
    Finally, I bought H11 18 LED fog lights. Now these had another problem, although they fit through the hole, the 'tabs' on the bulbs base do not match with the grooves on the housing of the fog light assembly. So with a snipper a snipped one of the tabs to fit the bulb inside the housing.

Well, I plugged in the bulb and flipped the switch and NO LIGHT. I plugged in the previous 'larger' led's and those didn't light up either (I plugged them in just to test outside of the housing). Is anyone else having this problem? Finally yesterday I checked v-leds website and looks like they now have an H16 led that has the matching base (looks like H11). But those are 59.99!

Thanks
    I'm wondering if there is a voltage problem or something. All fuses are good.

Arek.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    LEDs have polarity, so you might need to reverse the wires going to your bulbs.

You can see whether your LEDs are working by testing with a 9 volt battery. If they don't work one way, switch the positive and negative around and test.

Also, H16 are 35w and H11 are 55w halogen bulbs. That's probably why you kept blowing fuses.

Check out the link in my signature below on how I modified 35w H8 halogen bulbs to fit into an H11 mounting socket. The 35w H8 halogen bulbs will be much brighter than LED aftermarket lights.

ucsmfu and sfv41901 like this.