1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my local thief (err...dealership)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sluggo42, Aug 22, 2006.

1. sluggo42

sluggo42 New Member

I called 3 dealers in my local area of Ventura, CA, looking for pricing for XM radio. The first one told me ~$850 installed. The next told me that Toyota hasn't made one yet, but he had a private installer that could hook something up for about $600. The last one told me $200 for the reciever, $109 for the "mounting kit" and $350 for installation, or $659 for everything.
    Then, after installation, I had to sign up with XM and pay a monthly rate as well...

I'm lost, and beginning to wonder if any of this is worth the trouble and costs... :( :( :(

2. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A factory job will cost more. http://www.metrotpn.com/ charges $250 for the unit with 90 days free service. I had a local stereo place install mine for $150. So it ain't cheap. I have Sirius, but it is the same setup. I'd HIGHLY reccomend Sirius over XM, but that is another thread.
    It is worth it for me to have the factory job. You don't have some ugly head unit hanging out. It all works with your steering wheel controls.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The installation is something you can do yourself. If you're not comfortable removing the few dash and trim pieces necessary then try a local radio installer...most in my area only charge ~$60.

You do need the 'mounting kit' as well as the reciever when you buy.

And yea, there's going to be some cost involved, but you should be able to come in for around $400.

4. Metro

Metro Your OEM Q & A Resource

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sluggo42 @ Aug 22 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]307901[/snapback]</div>
    I just thought that I would give you my .02 worth since I am a dealer. The first dealership seems a bit high but I do not know what the labor rate is currently in SoCal. The last dealer sounds about what my dealership would quote here. It is not that hard for anyone to do, but the job can be tedious and time consuming even to a professional. No one wants to damage anyone's vehicle or try to be too quick about it and do a bad job either. That is why most dealers will quote in the 2-4 hour range for the labor. I do sell the the 2 items for $250.00 plus shipping and if you can find a reputable private installer that can do a good job for less than a dealer then go for it. Most private installers have probably done more installs that a lot of dealers anyway. You can also download install instructions from my site to help you if you choose to try it yourself. I also can offer waived activation and free first 3 months of service with your purchase.

5. mootsman

mootsman New Member

I paid my local Toyota dealer $289 for the XM "brain" and the install kit. I then paid a local installer less than $50 for the installation which took them less than an hour -- but they are good -- very good. However, it was their first Prius install so I took them the PDF on the install which my dealer printed out for me. The dealer wanted $150 to install it. So, nearly all the options folks talk about here seem very high. Oh, and the unit was as the latest with the increased characters and it works perfectly.