1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Matte Black full SEIBON Carbon Fiber Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by t0pgear, Jul 12, 2015.

1. t0pgear

t0pgear Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My intent was to create a 1 of a kind "Ski Prius". The car has been an absolute champ and never failed me in the mountains. Driven up mountains through 18" of snow, over Colorado's gnarliest passes in the middle of white out snow storms, and plowed its way through the city streets in the winter. I reinforced the front splitter with about 3 more layers of carbon fiber on the backside to keep it strong, and a layer of 3m clear bra on the front. As a result it can plow/smash/push its way through anything. Car runs 25mm spacers in the rear with 17" Motegi wheels on Michelin Pilot Sport Super Sports in the summer, Nokian Hakkapellita R2 snow tires in the winter. Car was dropped with Tanabi DF210 springs, and a Tanabe strut brace up front. Up top it has a full Thule rack with ski carriers in the winter and SUP/Paddle Board carrier in the summer.

Attached Files:

quantumy, La Rumba, Xterra72 and 13 others like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Nice looking Black Matte Prius...;)

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice ride! (y)(y)

5. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That looks fantastic! Is that paint or a wrap?

I have to echo your experience on how impressive the Prius is in the snow. Not to mention how well it handles on summer roads. I've read numerous posts of owners complaining, which I never understood.

Have you done any interior upgrades as well?

vthreee likes this.
  6. vthreee

vthreee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yes, is that wrap or paint? i'm curious and looking to wrap mine. DIY?

7. t0pgear

t0pgear Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for all the compliments. I took the car to a professional plasti-dip installer who used a professional paint gun to apply the dip. I highly recommend it. Going on 2 brutal winters and its held up great. The only thing about it is that I probably need to have the front of the car resprayed because of all the rock chips. The winters in Colorado are brutal with all the salt/gravel being kicked up after snow storm so the matte is a little chipped here and there, but luckily my paint is fine. I would highly recommend a pro plastidip job like this over wrapping your prius. Yes on a lamborghini or ferrari the wrap is worth the cost, but not on our cars. Save your money, you'll be just as happy.

8. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yea bro that looks pretty sik.... What color is your pri originally? What about your door jams and hatch etc?

I love matte black and would love it on my car but would look silly when you open yhe hood, doors, and hatch since im BP

#8 Accordlayingkit, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  9. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    to the OP, can you give us an idea of the Plastidip job cost?

10. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I like your approach.

Modified Prius to endure the harsh elements of Mother Nature.(y)

Craaazy sick.:D

Soo. .. @t0pgear

You obviously have no problems clearing or making the snow trip through the mountains.

With it being lowered, how much clearance do you have to install the tire chains?

Has your Prii ever gotten stuck in the snow with its low stance?

#10 Xterra72, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    Accordlayingkit likes this.
  11. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    And it's for sale it seems 3 days after this thread...

I'll repeat I like your car, it's really sharp.. But I understand if you feel the need for 4wd living in the mountains...

12. t0pgear

t0pgear Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Prius has never gotten stuck nor has it ever encountered a stretch of road it couldn't make it through. I've gone uphill in 18" of snow. Lived on a super steep hill that would get covered in solid ice, there was one day where there was fresh powder on solid ice and that was a challenge but eventually the car made it up, that was my only problem I ever had, and by problem I mean I was 10 mins late for first lift chair in Telluride ;) I forgot to add the car is not only on 25mm spacers but we had to majorly roll the fenders (PITA in a Prius due to weird double layer construction). Even then the car still rubs all the time, luckily just doesn't do any damage to the tires. So to answer your question, zero clearance for chains in the back at least although maybe you could fit them in the front, however I've never needed them. With my Nokian Hakka R2's I grip just fine and can go over 20mph :) I've done 85-90mph on snow pack now problem at all with the Nokians, grip was fantastic. Overall ground clearance on the car at the front between splitter and ground is MAYBE 2" tops. I mean it's absurdly low, and there was def a major learning curve to learning how to drive a car that low.

You can DIY for $450, it's not that hard and dipyourcar has everything you need in a kit. I paid a shop around $650 I think, although I think prices have gone up due to insane demand.

My car was originally white. Honestly I wouldn't sweat the door jams and that stuff. I'm a car guy and detail freak and even I don't ever notice or think about it. I have friends who've ridden in the car 100x and never even realized that it used to be white/all the door jams are white haha.

#12 t0pgear, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2015
  13. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    If it was me and $$ was not an issue, I would definitely keep that modded prii and purchase that 4wd for the mountain trips.

Having that much work put into the car, having it look right and then take it all apart again is hard to comprehend.

Best of luck on the new purchase.

14. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    How long have you had the carbon parts on your Car?

And I have to echo Xterra72, a cheap(er) used 4x4 should be easy to come by up where you live.

I mean unless you really want a change of pace and want a diff veh then by all means go for it. But obviously plan on cutting your mpg in half or a third..

Xterra72 likes this.
  15. slowpriusj

slowpriusj Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Absolutely sexy! @Accordlayingkit turned me on to your kit and now I envy your car! Looks awesome!