1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My mileage in my 2010 dropped from 48mpg to 38 mpg...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Boffin, Oct 27, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Boffin

Boffin Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In a matter of a few weeks. So...

There are many things that could cause this. Tire pressure? Mine is 10% above Toyota's recommended pressure. EGR system causing problems? I checked and cleaned the EGR pipe, the one between the EGR valve and the intake manifold. Nope, it had only a thin film of carbon build up.

OK. It must be my old NiMH battery dying. I made an appointment with a shop that specializes in Prius battery testing and rebuilding. At 12 years old and 142,000+ miles, it seemed the logical cause of the mileage drop.

That same day, my wife mentioned that the car was making a new squeal from the back, as though she had picked up some debris in the rear brake assembly. I pulled the wheel and found terribly worn brake pads on the left rear of the car. Down to metal on metal. Oops! I immediately ordered new pads and rotors. When I went to put them in, I found that one of the caliper slider pins had frozen! It, in turn, caused the brake to be dragging. Ah ha! That explains the bad gas mileage. What should have been a one hour task became much longer, as that pin required a lot of TLC to fix it. Now it's all back together, and mileage is back to normal.

Note that it didn't take much brake drag to cause the problem. I never felt the car pulling to the left, as a serious brake drag would have done.

I don't know how common this is, but I thought you guys would find the story interesting.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yep you should always keep those slide pins and boots greased no rust that rack should move across those pins with your pinky finger pretty much I check them anytime the wheels off when I'm having tires put on or anything like that anything doesn't look right when I get home the wheel comes back off and we have a look but on these cars that's every $100,000 miles The pins are replaceable too. This is the same for your Camry and your RAV4s

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps the other side was also dragging, but not quite as much.
    You replaced both sides, correct? And cleaned ALL 4 pins?

4. abdullah arslan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    38 is the magic number for a Gen3 having a dragged brake! Also when doing brake job, better clean all pins entirely and re-lubricate freshly

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Boffin

Boffin Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The right side was just fine. Changed the rotor and pads, though. The internet mechanics are divided as to relubing the caliper pins, so I didn't relube the right side. We'll see how that works out.

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    mmmmm Remember the left side????
    It would have been wise to clean and relube them. Not doing it is what caused the
    problem.

Tombukt2 likes this.