1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My mileage penalty is ~ 9% with new tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by chuckiechan, Mar 16, 2017.

1. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I got four Michelin Defender XT's 195/65R15 at Costco for ~ $475.

But, the quietness over the stock tires is worth it to me, but I'm still surprised I took a hit like that. They used nitrogen, and inflated to the specs on the door panel. The stock tires were driving me nuts.

My mileage now is ~ 42.x

I thought I'd pass it on.

BTW my "before" mileage was 46, which reflects the 10% we lose due to California's boutique blends.

Off topic, I think if I ever buy another Prius, I'm going to pay for some sound proofing. Undercoat, door panels, etc.

bisco likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What were the stock tires? Some of it might be just due to them being brand new, hard to say. How many miles have you got on the new tires now; a tank or two?

bisco likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty good article over on TireRack, but even changing over to the same tire the new tire will always be worse due to various factors but revs/mile is different due to wear. In your case there could be other differences. So it should get better. The Defenders are thought to be cost-effective due to longer life with small MPG loss. I have Defenders on my minivan and they are noisier than I might have expected, but I would not read that over to a Prius.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could improve with age, and the diameter of the new tire with full rubber might affect the odometer.

i just put on michelin energy savers. whisper quiet and no hit to mileage.

on the plus side, the defenders might last long enough to make up for the gaso cost.

5. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've got probably 500 miles on them. I figured it was that the tire was heaver. I don't know anything about that, but he diameter thing sounds as good as any.

I'm not unhappy, just surprised.

BUT. This is the first car I've owned when MPG prominently displayed.

bisco likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do they have the Green X label? I've got a stack of four in the garage for our son's Civic, going to put them on in a week or two. IIRC they do have the Green X label, but my set in under wraps and a few things piled on top.

That label seems to come and go: our Prius has Michelin Pilot hx MXM4, made in USA Feb 2009, and they have the Green X label. But now, TireRack says our size (215/45R17, and virtually all the sizes) are NOT Green X. Frustrating and confusing when they keep shifting the product spec's.

Being Green X doesn't necessarily prove anything, but it at least intimates it's among Michelin's LRR set. (n)

7. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Costco tried to sell me on the Defenders the other day when I inquired about the Bridgestone EP422 plus. I told him that the consensus on Prius Chat was that the Defenders deliver less mpg. He was surprised. I forgot to tell him that the Energy Saver were Michelins LRR tire.

iPhone ? Pro

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  8. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I initially had the Goodyear Assurant fuel max and didn't like them, had to fight the wander on grooves in the road and lot of road noise. I then went with the Defender because of the 90,000 mile warranty, they only made it to 60,000 miles and I had them replaced with Continental Control Contact at Discount Tire. They adjusted the price to reflect the difference in the actual miles vs the warranty on the Defenders. I am real pleased with the wear on the Continentals, quieter than the Defenders and a solid 3 mpg better. I now have 32,000 miles on the Continentals and they are between 7 and 8/32 tread left. If I see I'm keeping the car when these are worn out, I will definitely go with the Continentals again and I've had excellent service at Discount Tire in Lou, Ky and the one in Fla. where I bought the Defenders.

9. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well whatdoyaknow - they are green X.

What ever that means.

10. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the same drop in my 05 with the Defenders. Thankfully Michelin had a 30 day return policy at the time and I didn't hesitate to return them.