1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My minor Prius ergonomic problem-others?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by endoildependency, Oct 9, 2005.

1. endoildependency

endoildependency New Member

This will seem picky to some, especially those bigger than me who might not even be able to imagine it.

I'm a smaller guy, 5' 8-1/2". All my driving life (45 years), in nice weather, I like to rest my left elbow/forearm on the bottom of the (rolled-down) window opening.

But I can't do it on the Prius without paying for it. When I do, if forces me to scrunch to the left side of the seat---and the left "wing" seat cushion is both hard and angled inward pretty sharply.

I didn't notice what was causing the problem until, on my first long trip, I had sore ribs on my left side. Then I figured it out.

For me, either the seat track is about an inch or a little more too far to the left, or that wing cushion is too hard.

Not a problem for others here 'cause you're all bigger than me? Or too smart to invite melanoma on your arm?

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If you have side curtain airbags, it is not recommended you lean any part of your body out the window.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that one, but I use my CC a lot and have a habit of using the thumb side of my right index finger to set it (push it up). This has led to some mild chronic pain/sprain of the collateral ligament of the first joint on my finger. Not a huge issue, but it sure gets sore from time to time to the point that I try to remember to alter my technique for setting the CC--but it's not my natural motion and often I get it stirred up again.

4. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Wow. That's a lot of CC use.

5. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

I haven't decided yet if calf fatigue due to gas pedal feathering is a problem or good exercise. If I starting getting cramps, now that would be a problem...

-Roger

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well im your height and i prefer the window down (as long as not on the freeway) to air conditioning and do the arm thing frequently along with tapping my hand to the music on the roof of the car (music in car, hand on roof) cant say that i have had your issue.

although my commute is short, ive done several pretty lengthy trips and so far so good. i also use CC a lot but never feel any strain or stress using it. not quite sure i understand that one

7. JKnight

JKnight Member

I just remember my Dad doing that and the paint wearing away and the window sill corroding from the sweat. Not to mention the deeply tanned left forearm! So I don't do it, by choice.

Jan

8. endoildependency

Doc has fussy ligaments (that IS a lot of cc USE :eek: ) and maybe I have short arms. Others have griped about steering wheel/column protrusion and seat position in relation to height.

One-size-fits-all cars aren't as bad as mass-market clothing (especially pants), but when most American cars were about two feet longer than a Prius, it was far easier to make seats that adjusted for 6' 6" guys (oops, and women--forgot about the WNBA :p ) and to make dash knobs that didn't hit your knees.

9. prius04

prius04 New Member

I feel your pain.

Look into this item..

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/road_rest.htm

I did a google search a found a site that had some testimonials to this device and one of them was from a BMW driver, so it's not just for trucks.

http://www.topoftheline.com/auto-truck-arm-rest.html

10. endoildependency

Thanks, Prius04!

20 bucks? Done deal.

But I did take note of their disclaimer at the bottom about it flying away...

11. prius04

prius04 New Member

I hope it meets your needs. I have no idea if it works or fits on the Prius, but I can't see how it automatically wouldn't.

Good luck.