1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My morning adventure with the battery blower fan and P0A84

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Howard Flavell, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Howard Flavell

Howard Flavell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I came back after being away for a couple of weeks to find the the 2007 prius 12V battery flat and the car locked. The drivers door lock would not manually unlock. Eventually managed to get the remote to unlock the drivers door but there was clearly not enough 12V power to start the car. Tried the under bonnet 12V battery connection with a jump pack and for some reason I still could not get the boot unlocked. So I started the excavation of all the things in the boot and eventually accessed the 12V battery. Then I did something incredibly DUMB - I was rushing to get to work and I connected the booster pack to the wrong battery terminals for a few seconds before realising the error of my ways - remedied this, drew in a big breath and started the prius and....all good - no warning lights - phew!! 20k later the red triangle.

Interrogation with Techstream revealed P3000 and P0A84. Replaced the 12V battery - error codes remained.
    Blower fan tested OK
    Relay tested OK
    Blower fan controller bit difficult to know exactly what I was doing??
    Luckily I had a spare hybrid battery in the boot (long story) so I swapped the hybrid battery ECU and all fixed.

I thought I would share this just in case anyone else is as silly as me!!

By the way I told my friend that the hybrid battery ECU had an inclinometer in it which stopped everything in case of a roll over accident and he believed me - said it was typical of the car - simple issue complicator!!

Take care
    Kind Regards
    Howard

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Change the 12v before something dumb happens again

SM-N900P ?

kenoarto likes this.
  3. Howard Flavell

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yup - all changed - new Optima! But that didn't fix the fried ECU/red triangle - still had to go through the Sherlock Holmes exercise as I described!

Loanshark and JC91006 like this.
  4. Howard Flavell

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But it now gets worse - another 20k and everything is back - red triangle and C1310, P0A84 and P3000 - tried to get the cooling fan to work through testing with techstream and nichts - so I will go home (hopefully tonight) and scavenge all the bits to this blower fan circuit - motor, controller and relay and see whether that makes a difference.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably needs another bad Hybrid Battery.
    Your hybrid fan may be hair clogged and not turning well and the Hybrid battery overheated. Do you own dogs?

Go to lusciousgarage.com as they discuss the hybrid fan and its issues.

Btw, your posting in the wrong forum. Post this in the Gen 2 troubleshooting forum you'll get a better response.

#5 edthefox5, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016