1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My MPG Observations on Stock 15's vs. Aftermarket 17's

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by SoCalBPrius, Jun 4, 2012.

1. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did nearly a 2 month(beginning April to nearly the end of May) observation on my mpg(54 calculated) in my stock 15's. During this time, it consisted of 10 fillups & nearly 4k miles of driving, most of the driving was similar routes at similar times (to work) although there is no way of replicating everything(such as trips & errands), I tried my best to do the routine as similarly as possible. So let me kinda go backwards & explain. This is my 1st prius & basically bought it on a whim but am so glad I did. I drove the first 5-6k miles without documenting the mpg's but still kept track of it enough to know that I averaged about 52 mpg calculated. I was ecstatic & learned to love this new game(car) that was a prius:) . So when I reached about 6k miles, I bought & installed a 17" aftermarket wheels & soon after I went on fuelly & started to document all my mpg info. I started to do that for the next 3,200 miles trying to do routinely similar things & ended up averaging 48 mpg calculated. Finally, I decided to change back to the stock wheels to get better data & ultimately to see the difference in the 2 set of wheels & tires.

So by calculation on my data, it is about a 6 mpg difference. Meaning, I am losing approx. 6 mpg on my 17" aftermarket wheels which isn't too far off from my initial estimate of 4-5 mpg. Keep in mind, this does not factor in the changes in variables such as climate & other non-controllable factors. Without going into further detail, I conclude it to be 5-7 miles per gallon difference between the stock & 17's. The specifics on my stock tires are Bridgestones Ecopia @ 40 psi(front), 38 psi(rear). My 17x7.5 aftermarket wheels are on Continentals DWS 225/45/17 & 50 psi(front), 48psi(rear).

NineScorpions, McLintock! and plam0ne like this.
  2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank for doing this, man. I know it's hard to swap back to 15s when the 17s make the car look so much better.

I'm in the same boat right now. I see about a 3mpg loss between my LRR 15s and LRR 17s. The gap was more like 6-7mpg vs. the Energy Saver A/S tires and the LRR 17s! A 3mpg loss is easy to swallow but 6+ is a lot tougher. :)

I bet you're happy to have the bling back!

3. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's bittersweet because while I luv the look & handling, I can feel the mpg going down where it is hard to maintain or achieve higher mpgs on my 17's. I'm struggling right now to keep it at about 50 calculated on my 1st tank. It's not helping that I'm on 225 wide tires instead of the 215's I should at least be on:confused:.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is one of the arguments going on in my head right now.

Keep the 17s because it looks cool but I only get to see them while entering or exiting the car. You can't see them while driving.

Keep the 15s because the mpg is so much better as is the ride comfort. You spend more time behind the wheel than you do standing outside the car admiring it. How much do you really care what others think about your wheels?

With the 17s you have to struggle to achieve good mpg. With the 15s you can drive faster and with less effort yet still achieve great mpg. So it comes down to looks vs. comfort and less stress... Hmm

Codyroo likes this.
  5. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, if u must ask...I do care a little bit that some people out there thinks it(wheels) looks cool/better/different:D. I know I can't put too much weight into that though, because just as much or more people think I'm a fool for fixing up a prius but ultimately (as u said) it is you/I(owner) that has to be proud. For me, even when I'm not looking at it whether I'm behind the wheel or it's parked in front of my house, I feel a sense of satisfation knowing it's there. So I guess I answered my own question, it is worth it to have the 17's on & lose some mileage for it. Come back & ask me in a couple month after I'm jaded on the rims & I may have an opposite reply;). With that being said, I agree with u on everything about the advantages of the 15's, which is why this is so hard & therefore, I can have my cake & eat it too by having both set & the ability to switch to either when I feel like it. That's my answer & I'm sticking to it for now:D.

6. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu Average punter

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Even if the wheels look crap, you'd feel even more comfortable with the fact that the safety level has been raised much much higher than the standard wheels.

7. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh! What?

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear ya, bro.

I'm doing the two sets of wheels thing right now but when the 17s wear out I will not be using these wheels again. I'll sell me cheap on Craigslist of something. I would like to sell my Ascends for Energy Savers just because I enjoy seeing big mpg numbers with little effort. Right now a 3mpg or so difference doesn't justify the look or handling do the 15s.. You know what I'm talking about. ;)

9. SmellyTofu

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's just how you value 3mpg vs looks/safety. Sure my 17" makes my Prius look not-so-cheap-looking, but being able to corner/stop better ranks higher than fuel economy. In actual fact I've only lost maybe 0.1-0.2L/100km which I could reduce further by just trying harder or driving slower but even 0.5L/100km poorer economy which is not possible, on a tank and even if I get 1000km out of a tank, it's 5L extra which is only A$7 a tank (at today's fuel price here that last almost 1.5 weeks), $250/yr at the absolute worse case. I won't lose sleep over $250/yr if it's going to give me better safety margin for me and my family. But I get where you're coming from too. It's an addictive game to see how low (high in MPG numbers) you can go.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See the problem is you could get even higher mpg with the 15s if you tried harder because 15s are easier to hypermile with or you could further increase the gap by using something like the Energy Saver A/S if they are available there. So while you are comparing your old numbers with 15s to your current numbers with 17s, those are not absolute. You could do better or worse with different tire choices and driving techniques. I see approx. 3mpg loss comparing the 17s and my 15s but when I borrowed a set of Energy Saver A/S tires the loss increased to 6mpg-8mpg depending on how I drove. So there is a certain potential that you have to take into consideration. I agree completely about the increased safety, however. The 17s are simply a safer tire for this car. As usual, the economic losses may be minor if you don't drive many miles per year. :)

11. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nooo, don't sell your 17's:( ! How will we do our comparisons?:D Again, I totally agree w/ u on the 15's effeciency on maximum mileage & its potential for even greater difference vs. 17s. For instance, during my recent trial on the stock wheels & tires it included a 2 week fiasco where the dealer overfilled my prius w/ 5 quarts of oil leading to bad mpg during that period avg. 49 calculated for the 2 tanks which included a trip to Vegas right after the service was done. By far these 2 tanks were the lowest during that trial but still, I was able to average a more than decent 54 mpg cal. as a whole. Imagine if I have energy saver Mich. What kinda mileage would I get;) ? But in all fairness, on my 17s, I'm on a non-LRR continental. It's hard comparing apples to apples when they aren't even 2 apples. It's almost impossible or impractical to do so. As I stated, I tried my best to replicate how I drove in both set of wheels but in reality, it's hard to try to exactly duplictate. I think now that I'm on my 17s again, I'll get a better idea as ultimately the long term experience will weed out some of the variance that makes the actual number confusing.:)

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree it is hard to duplicate the exact driving conditions. In my case it is because with the 17s I simply cannot glide down overpasses and small hills that I normally could with the 15s. The car simply will not hold speed and I end up having to light the ICE to maintain speed. :( That is a good indication that the 17s do not roll nearly as easily as the 15s despite being labeled LRR. IMO the LRR label gets applied to tires that should carry the label. lol

13. SmellyTofu

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    But wider wheels roll better than narrow ones.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They don't in this case. Even capriracer (well known tire expert) found this out. Theory didn't agree with practical math an experience. If you are referring to wider tires in the trucking industry this is a totally different application. We do not run double tires on our cars.

15. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What a great mod! A dually Prius, with fake exhaust stacks sticking up, naked lady mudflaps, an upgraded air horn, and a set of "balls" to dangle from the tow hitch.

I like the look of the package 5 rims (although the car looks goofy with the gap between the top of the tire and the wheel well, it needs to be lowered to be in better proportion), but I went through the same mental argument F8L discussed (looks vs driving comfort). The gallons per year difference wouldn't be that much between the 15" and 17", but we are so in tune with MPG (instead of gallons per mile) that it makes the difference hard to swallow.

Are there any good looking 15" aftermarket rims that you can slap on that will provide the improved look for the car yet not punish your mileage?

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Codyroo, maybe look at the wheels/covers on the PIP? I kinda like those. They resemble the wheels on the CT200h a little. :)

I agree with everything you said above btw. It's hard to swallow the MPG difference but gallons per mile is easier unless you drive 30k a year like me and can run the Energy Saver A/S.

17. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IMO, no in the case of the prius w/15s because the whole idea of upgrading is to go bigger to apparently look better. I've seen some aftermarket 15s on other prius & again imo, it doesn't look that good or looks marginally better.

18. SmellyTofu

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If you do 30,000mi a year, that's a lot of driving and "added" risk being out on the road longer than most people. I'd say go save money elsewhere in your life (cheaper phone, eat less takeaway food...) At the end of the day, given the choice of being able to avoid an accident unharmed vs saving a bit of coin and be in an accident, which would you choose? Treat it as an insurance.

19. McLintock!

McLintock! New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the info. 6 MPG seems like too much for me. I'm still considering the DR-34 or DR-19 (maybe DR-33 too). They all come in 15s or 16s. I'm thinking the 15s with Avid Ascends or 16s with Energy Saver A/S. I hope either combo would get me close enough (1-2 MPG drop) to the OEM 15s.

20. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your welcome McLintock. Remember, I am on 225 wide tires so even if u get 17s w/ the 215s or even 205s, u should see better results. Even better if you're considering 15s or 16s but u know my opinion about 15s;).

McLintock! likes this.