1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Mystical '06 Prius Order

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by minime, Nov 9, 2005.

1. minime

minime New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just ordered an '06 Prius. I must say that the experience was mystical. It appears that they aren't really ordering a car for me, but I'm put on a list and when my name is on top they try to match my preferences with what they have in stock. God knows what they will match me up with.

Not a very warm and fuzzy feeling about the whole thing.

In constrast, several years ago I ordered a Mini Cooper (which were and are still in short supply) and I knew exactly the car I was going to get when I ordered it since they build it for YOU. You can track online the order from inception to delivery to the dealer. I got the car within 2 months of ordering it and that time includes the shippping of it from England.

Not so mystical.

Is this a common experience for you other Prius owners or is this just a rare case?

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wish I can track the whole process when I order my 05!

Back then, the dealer told me it'll arrive Monday. Got a called, Monday was a holiday. Then it became Friday. Then on Wednesday, they called me and said it'll be ready by Thursday. :blink: At least I got it at MSRP!

3. PhotoLady

PhotoLady New Member

I had done the same thing, but I told them what I wanted down to the color and package. I was put on the list and I got the one I wanted.

I got several calls about other colors with the same package, but held out for the one I 'ordered' to come in. It was here in exactly 2 months - I got it last Saturday. :D

If you were specific about the package and color, when your name gets to the top of the list, you will get the next one of that color and package.
    :)

2005 Seaside Pearl #6

4. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I got exactly what I wanted, was always in the loop, and always knew where I stood. It may have helped that I asked a lot of questions. Maybe the '06s are still a little new to dealers yet...

What package did you order?

5. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have purchased nine new cars so far -- and have never before waited more than three days to pick one up (that longest wait was for one that had to be gotten from another state and took the extra day)

This sure is a new experience for me.

6. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

When I ordered my 2006 Prius, I told them the package I wanted and the color of the car. My dealer put in a build order and said I would receive a phone call about the various stages as the car is being built and shipped. The first call will be to let me know that the car is in the build queue and will be built on a certain day, and that I should confirm the package and color at that time. Next I will hear when the car should be delivered to the dealer. Then I will hear when I can pick up the car.

This is how it worked when I ordered my wife's Sienna last year too. If your dealer isn't actually submitting a build order, then you are probably just on a list to receive a call when they get one in that matches your specifications, rather than influencing the cars the dealer gets. My dealer is actually ordering my car the way I want it, and will keep me up to date during the entire build process.

I suspect you are dealing with a high-volume dealer that doesn't want to submit a special order for your specifications because they believe they will get one in eventually. Perhaps you could pursuade them to submit an actual build order.

7. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How did you know what packages, options, colors and prices that were available? It has only been very recently that any of this has been made public?

8. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

I placed my order about 3 weeks ago. All of this information (except pricing) was available then.

My dealer said they would hold the car for me if it came in too early. I said I want to take delivery in 2006 even if the car comes in early (tax credit). They said no problem, they will just hold it for me with a sold sign on it. Not all dealers will do this. The first dealer I tried said they would not hold the car for me if it came in before January. So I searched around until I found a dealer that I liked. Good luck with your order.

9. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

My experience is about the same as yours. All I can guess is this..

My dealer is allocated x cars per month from Toyota.

I'm number xyz on the list.

So, that means I'm not in their November allocation, or december, but end of January is when they think I'll be on the list index wise when my car is the one to come.

When my dealer spec's their allocation for that time frame, they will spec out a green one with package #5. At that time, the mystical thing I have will become a real car.

That's my best guess on it. I still don't have the pricing from my dealer yet.

10. beagle

beagle New Member

This is exactly how my "reservation" was taken. I told him a couple of preferences (color, packages). But I told him I would be willing to listen to whatever he had in stock even if it didn't match my order (if you can call it an order).

I got on the list for a '05 a few months ago, then told him I wanted to wait until '06 for the tax credit. So I'm now on the top of the list to get one in 2006...

11. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I "ordered" my 2006 back in August based on 2005 packages, pricing, and expected price increase.
    The deal was relative to MSRP with the understanding that, if packages and/or colors changed for 2006, the deal would be adjusted when the information became available.
    Since I made the deal before the gas prices spiked and because I brought in two other buyers with me, we all got a good deal under MSRP.
    My salesman has been very good so far and is sticking by the deal.
    I certainly wouldn't be able to get the same deal now, however.
    :D

12. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It all depends on what your dealer has been allocated based on past sales, etc.

I think there may be a whole host of people very disappointed come January, when they think they will get a car in January, and it may be March, April before they get it. Tax credit may be gone by then....for Toyota.

Don't forget : 1. Salesmen move on. 2. Get it in writing. 3. Suggest getting on another list or two. The more particilar you are about what you want, means (Usually) a longer wait time.

Back when we were ordering the 2004, it took 3 months to get our car, and we were only on 12 wait lists in about 4 states.

Now yes, production has ramped up a bit more, but delivering millions (???) of cars in January only - is a a bit of a stretch... Production of cars does not work like that......

13. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Tax credit is reduced after the end of the quarter in which manufacture sells 60k vehicles (since Jan 01, 2006).
    Every hybrid car sold through April 15, 2006 will qualify.
    If a manufacturer sells less than 60k hybrid cars by April 15, 2006, every hybrid car they sell through June 15, 2006 will qualify. B)

14. HeuristicsInc

HeuristicsInc New Member

Our dealer told us that they'll be building a car for us, and that we wouldn't need preferences... I wasn't totally sure it was true since we were his first Prius buyers. We'll see, I guess!
    -bill

15. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Just a slight clarification -- one has to take possession by April 15th, not just buy it before then, I believe?

16. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Yes. From a legal perspective the sale is consumated with the exchange of property. (Not just ordering it.)

Also, I believe I misspoke earlier.
    If Toyota sells 60k vehicles in the first quarter, the full tax credit will be in effect till the end of the following quarter, June 15, 2006.
    If Toyota reaches the 60k vehicle threshhold in the second quarter, the full tax credit will be in effect till September 15, 2006.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=12378&hl=
    B)

17. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am able to order exactly what I want.. the package, color and which added accessories and yes they build it for you.. but I'm not going through the typical dealer.
    Maybe the dealer wants to keep his options open... the don't have "anything" in stock.... so is he just going to get a bunch of cars and match your wants up the best he can?... that seems a bit lame to me too...
    Find someone that will order for you....
    I'm using a wholesale broker... you can do the same.... Call around to see if there are any in your area....

18. lwillis

lwillis New Member

I believe there is a lot of misunderstanding in "placing an order" for a Prius. I thought I "place my order" on August 25 when I told my delaer what I wanted and wrote them a check for $250. I would later discover what many of you have, that "ordering" a car bought me a spot on their waiting list. I was #7 at the time. I've since learned that the regions/dealers get an allocation report avout 3 times per month. This report tells them what vehicles they are getting. My dealer told me that earlier in the summer Toyota was doing a much better job of matching up the allocations with what the dealers were requesting (to match the requests on their lists). My long awaited 05 is arriving this week and is not the color/option package I requested (I knew this about a month ago). I'm going to kindly decline this 05 and confirmed with the dealer that I will remain at the "top of the list". And now due to the tax credit I want the first 2006 on January 1. I believe they are really working with me and are as frustrated about the Prius "ordering" process as many of us are. My dealer is more then willing to work with me and if the car comes in December will hold it for Janaury delivery.

I would like to know more about the "build order" process that Technogeek refers to. How does this work, and why can some dealers place build orders while others cannot?

19. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Sorry, Technogeek, but I just don't believe this happens. The only time in five years on various Prius forums I heard anything even close to this was in '01, when all orders were placed online and delivered to local Toyota dealers. People got their VINs from Toyota---and an owner's manual in the mail! I think they were also told when their cars left Japan.

I was told by a Fleet Mgr. who's worked for Toyota since 1978 that no Priuses are "made to order". However, it's been occasionally reported (including at PC) that some dealers are willing to go to the extra trouble to swap cars with another region in order to get exactly the combo of color/package a customer wants.

I don't know how many dealers are asked to do this, but won't do it. Probably lots.

If you do in fact get a "build date", please report back. It would be eye-opening news.

20. unique2006

unique2006 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will get a vin, and build date , my car built to order....of course im ordering thru my brother;)(works at toyota corp)