1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My name's in the hat

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by pdhenry, May 26, 2008.

1. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Now the waiting part begins. Not too long, I hope.

I had stopped by the local Toyota dealer about 2 weeks ago to see about a Prius - the salesman said that not only did they not have any in stock, they weren't even taking any more deposits. I checked with another about 30 miles away, and they'd gladly take a refundable $500 deposit, but with 30 names on the list and 6 or 7 cars coming in per month they conceded it could be 5 months before I'd get one.

I got a call from the local salesman on Saturday - their midmonth allotment knocked their waitlist from 8 down to 3 so they were once again taking a few deposits. I tried to give a wide range of acceptable configurations. The only hard requirement is a grey interior (I rented a Prius with the Bisque interior and it didn't weather well), and the acceptable color list is Magnetic Grey, Spectra Blue, Seaside Pearl, Classic Silver, Black or Barcelona Red. Package 2 preferred, but if it comes in as a Package 6 I'll take it. Nothing in between, though.

The salesman says it might show up in the allotment they will get the first Friday in June, or maybe in the smaller mid-month allotment a couple of weeks later.

Anyway, I found this forum over the long weekend and spent a little time looking over some of the threads. Looks like an informative place...

pdhenry

2. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Welcome to PriusChat!

That is quite a difference in vehicles, why only package 2 or 6?

Hope that you get your car sooner than you think.

3. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah, a little strange, I admit. :)

The 2 has everything I really need, but I'm suspecting that Toyota is taking advantage of the demand and shipping more high-end packages than lower-end models. Officially I'd prefer the 2 but I thought I'd get one quicker if I'd also be willing to accept a 6. The incremental pricing of the packages above 2 (especially since the 3 isn't sold in this region) is a bit steep so I guess I'm only interested in the complete package once I go above 2.

4. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Get the package 6 for the leather seats. Gray leather seats. Comfy leather seats. Easy to maintain leather seats. Good smelling leather seats. Good looking leather seats. Great wearing leather seats.
    So get the package 6, oh...did I mention the leather seats yet?

Seriously, I'm not sure I could do the Prius in those Toyota cloth seats if they are the same type of material as the '95 Subaru Legacy wagon which I traded in and I HATED (absolutely hated) those hot, static producing fake cloth (read: Nylon pretending to be cloth) seats. I'd rather sit in burlap.)

ZC1

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure the #2 package would not have the high-end audio system. Maybe you could care less about nice sound. I found the stock Toyota audio on a new Matrix and Rav4 to not overcome the road noise to produce decent sound on the highway, no matter how much the volume is turned up.

The Prius with JBL was pretty good when cruising. That center speaker bounces sound off the windshield too.

Just something to consider before you take delivery.

6. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Funny -- my current daily driver's a '93 Legacy that we've had for around 12 years. So you can see I can be pretty easy going about stuff like seats.

The 2 lacks leather, Nav, HID headlights, JBL audio/bluetooth, the auto-dimming homelink mirror & anti-theft. All good stuff, but if a 2 comes in before a 6 I'll take it.

Just occurred to me - my big dilemma would be if I get a call saying both have come in and I need to choose... :eek:

7. prius12306

prius12306 2018 prime advanced - Stella

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I lucked out on mine - not much of a wait at all - and I took whatever was coming in and lucked out. Driftwood, pkg 3. Actually just what I wanted - I know you said 3 is not available in your area, but my point is I am very happy with my pkg 3 - I can't do leather for ethical reasons. I find the cloth seats very comfy. The bisque color will be a challenge, but with no dogs, etc. and being a clean freak I think I will keep em clean. In winter I will switch to all weather mats to protect carpet. And whenever I tote something in the hatch that has a possibility of getting things dirty, I lie down an old blanket first. Went biking this weekend over the holiday and had my bike in the hatch (using blanket to insure no chain grease, etc came in contact with car). It was great to be able to fit everything inside and not deal with bike racks! Good luck with your car search.

8. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A package 2 ($575) with the leather seats option, LA90 ($1499), sounds like an ideal solution....if you can find it.

9. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The salesman suggested that I could do a #2 with leather, but I think it involves a dealer-installed or aftermarket option. Something to look into, I guess, when I hear what package I'll be getting.

10. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If you get package 2, they can install the leather at the dealership. From what I have seen, the dealer installed leather is just as nice as the factory installed leather. The factory installed leather has perforations, and the dealer installed doesn't, if that matters to you.

11. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good info. Thanks. :)