1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My near 500 mile tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Maytrix, May 2, 2006.

1. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I almost did it yesterday. I ALMOST cracked the 500 mile mark in a single tank.

I knew I would be close when I passed 400 miles with 2 bars left on the fuel gauge. The last bar started blinking around 470 miles. I have always liked to push my cars to the limit, just so I know it's full capabilities, but I also don't like to run out of gas. So after putting on another 23 miles, I stopped to fill up. It was either that or drive around aimlessly. As it was, I already went a round about way home just to try to get up there. Any further and I would have been going further away from gas.

So, I came close at 491 miles. I'm pretty sure I could have broken 500 if I had kept going.

Calculated average was right around 49mpg.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ah ha! Lesson number 1: The gas gauge might not be absolutely accurate, but you can take a pretty good guess at remaining fuel given MPG and the quantity of the last fill-up.

Lesson number 2: It only gets better as summer sets in.

Enjoy.

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That is awesome! Do you recall how many gallons the tank took when you filled up?

I'm hoping for my first 450-mile tank currently. I'm at 376 miles and lost my 4th bar this morning just as I was approaching my work parking lot (51.0mpg thus far). I'm not going to push it if the remaining bars disappear in quick sucession of each other (as they so often do-drat!), because I don't ever want to run out of gas trying to prove something to myself or others... :)

4. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

Working on the third tank and getting a nice 50.4 mpg

5. philwojo

philwojo Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 2 2006, 08:02 AM) [snapback]248483[/snapback]</div>

About how many gallons are left with 2 bars or 1 bar, does anyone know about how many gallons per bar on a 2006 prius?

I know it will vary slightly because of the bladder, but do we have any estimates?

Phil

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(philwojo @ May 3 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]249180[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately, the Prius gas gauge is extremely non-linear. :( There's really no way to even approximate how many gallons per bar...I've found that it can take anywhere from 75-150 miles for the first bar to disappear from the gauge; then the subsequent bars disappear astonishingly fast. Sometimes as little as 30-40 miles on some bars...kinda stinks that the Prius doesn't have one of those 'approx. miles left on tank' gauges.

7. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ May 3 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]249235[/snapback]</div>

I have the same on the first bar. Previous threads have said people have gone anywhere from 25-75 on the blinking last bar. But, as has been said, why push it and take the chance of running out of gas? I've been tempted, in just seeing if I wanted to do a 600 miles tank. This was on my best tank of 55mpg. I may have made it, but I was on an interstate highway.. so, what an idiot I would be if I ran out of gas!