1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My neighbors are misinformed about Prius battery recycling

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Jul 31, 2010.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was talking cars with my 2 neighbors month ago ... they have a Cooper mini.

Somehow my Prius got brought up. Neighbor says 'yeah, the dead hybrid batteries probably just get dumped somewhere.'

So, I called Toyota, asked what happens to used up batteries. Said they are sent back to mfr. for 'recycling' IIRC.

This morn, mentioned to neighbors, btw, batteries go back to mfr...

Lady says, 'yeah, somewhere in China where they throw 'em in a toxic dump'. Man says, 'not much to recycle at the mfr. anyway'.

I said, I hope not. Don't know all what happens with 'em.

------------

What gives? What's the truth on spent hybrid batteries?

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They get recycled. Nickel is valuable.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You need new neighbors. Sounds to me as though no matter what evidence you throw at him his mind is made up.
    So you might as well tell him that you heard they all get shipped to China and thrown into a toxic dump somewhere because there's not much to recycle at the manufacturer. After all, you did and your neighbor sounded quite convincing when he said it so it must be true.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tell them BMW buys the batteries that no longer meet Toyota's standard for use in the Mini. Say anything with authority enough times and people will believe it.

6. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Let your neighbors know that you take in all worn out money. When they laugh, point out that the toxic waste dumps are suffering from the same problem as your money recycle service. Maybe they will understand, maybe they won't. Toyota guarantees at least a $200 payout for all returned hybrid batteries. They don't do it just so they can pitch it in a toxic waste dump. As previously mentioned, nickel is valuable.

1 person likes this.
  7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2nd post, 3rd link above is a 2005 interview with a Toyota Marketing Mgr.

excerpt -

'Can you tell us more about how life cycle studies, material selection, and recycling questions were managed during the design process?
    By example I can. Toyota dealers and the nine regional Toyota parts distribution centers collaborate on battery recycling. That kind of networking is something Toyota generaly excels at. When a customer's Prius battery pack needs replacement, the truck that delivered a new one to his dealer returns to the parts center with the spent battery, and any other parts destined for disassembly and reclamation. When enough batteries have accumulated at a parts center to fill a truck, they are shipped to a recycle operation.

Not across the sea to Japan I’d hope?
    No the final recycling steps for batteries are outsourced here in the US. '

--

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The NiMH battery IS NOT toxic. It's nickle and potassium hydroxide, neither of which are "toxic", though potassium hydroxide will burn your flesh if splashed on it.

So even if the battery DID end up in a land fill it would have little to no effect on the environment.

But it wouldn't. Toyota are making great efforts to ensure they are recycled.

Ask your neighbors if they have ever thrown out a NiCd battery or an appliance with one in it. Now THOSE ARE toxic. Cadmium is a carcinogen.