1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new 2005 Prius hybrid battery trouble shooting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Biopete, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Biopete

Biopete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Everyone. I'm new to prius. My friend got one and I loved the way they drive and the possibilities I hope of making it a plugin. So i ventured and bought a used 2005 prius with 255,000 miles on it with the triangle and exclamation point on. It drove great and was cheap enough -- $1250.00. The owner had had a refurbished pack from Falcon put in less than 2 years ago and brakes done last year and threw in the Bentley manual . So now my adventures begin.

My autel maxidas scanner read codes on the Hybrid Battery and Control modules
    P3020 -- battery block 10 becomes weak.
    P3000 -- Battery control system

In order to clear the codes , I had to clear the HV Battery codes first - P3020, and the triangle would go away and it would drive good. Then i could clear the Hybrid Control module codes - P3000 and the exclamation point would go away. So then the car drove great for a while. I get over 40 mpg. 43 - 46 mpg sometimes. But every few hours it would throw the code.

I would monitor the battery blocks . Block 10's voltage was always jumping around with the others either .1 V lower or higher. It was never crazy low though. There were always some lower than it. I noticed the Internal resistance of most blocks is .26 with block 10 being a little higher -- .29 , .33. One time it got to .40.

Anyway, so the car started throwing the codes more frequently -- every 10 minutes sometimes and i drive it with my scanner hooked up and just clear the codes on the fly. Also it seemed to go into limp mode sometimes with the triangle on.

Then i thought about overheating. So i removed the cover to the hybrid battery, removed cover to the fan and intake duct going to the fan and always keep the ac on and windows closed. The fan is now wide open to the cool cabin and can get all the cool air it wants . Low and behold it did not throw a code for 260 miles. Then it did when i had the ac on and windows down. The code it threw this time was "Replace hybrid battery" .

So I'm thinking if i am going to have to be replacing some modules, i might invest in a grid charger from Max volts so i can just plop in modules and stick the thing back in my car and let it charge and balance it overnight.
    Thoughts on this? I'm thinking that evenutually i'll have to replace every module and have a brand new battery pack. But if i can do it one or two modules at a time, why not. I'm a mechanic and it doesn't seem hard to get at the battery pack.

Toyota wants 4K for brand new battery pack. I don't think that is too bad for 200,000 miles of service but i'd rather build my own brand new battery for 1500 or so . Does anyone know if the new battery packs for toyota are better than what was in 2005?

What are the best modules to buy for this? I'd like brand new modules . I figure if i get a brand new battery , then i can hang on to it take it with me as it is worth more than the car.

Thanks

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Buy a new battery from Toyota, you should get a really good price because you're a mechanic

3. Travis Decker

Travis Decker Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At my shop we install brand new Toyota batteries for $2700 installed all the time. Find a better price on a new battery and save yourself all the brain damage. Just put a brand new Toyota battery in it. I drive a 2004 with 290000 miles on it, battery was crap I fixed it will drive it until 299999 and the odometer explodes then I will drive it 200000 more miles

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the 2004-2005 Prius can be retrofitted with the CM from 2006-2009 to get past the 299999 limitation. See my sig for details.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    New Toyota Gen2 batteries come with brand new Gen 3 modules inside a Gen 2 case. I got one in July that had modules built in April 2017.

We're seeing an increasing failure rate on rebuilt batteries that's no longer making them a good value.

offib likes this.
  6. Travis Decker

Travis Decker Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup that was a not so funny joke!

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like you're on the right track. why not explore the battery rebuilding threads here and do it right?
    you should be able to get a few years out of a properly rebuilt pack.
    it's all labor and just the cost of a few cells and chargers.

8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The problem with rebuilding is that you pack has already been rebuilt at least once.

Open it up and see what you've got in there. It may need attention beyond just a module replacement.

You are likely starting with a pack that is a hodgepodge of modules from different batches and different years.
    Then, wherever you buy modules from you are simply adding in more variability.
    The hybrid's computers do not like variability. They are always watching to make sure things are staying relatively similar. If things get out of whack you'll get a code, and possibly the car will shut down.

If you go this route you will definitely want to purchase a grid charger, perhaps like one from a supporter of this forum (like Hybrid Automotive or their distributors?)
    The grid charger will be needed regularly to mask the incompatibility of the various modules in your pack.

Glad to hear you have enthusiasm for this venture.
    As long as you are still having fun and don't need the car to be overly reliable, then playing whack a mole using old modules is fine.

One thing to note... when you buy modules, you aren't going to be able to buy NEW modules, unless you buy an entire pack all at once. A new pack has all new modules that are matched to each other.

Even if you had a brand new module, it would likely not play nice with your used modules.

In a perfect world you would be able to buy modules that are equally crappy as your used modules.
    But the reality is, you're just going to get luck of the draw.
    Buy the used modules from a reputable seller is the best you can do.
    But there is no guarantee how nicely they will play with your used modules.

As always, feel free to call if you want to talk this through.

Edit: Forgot to mention that making this car a plug in is not really cost effective. Would likely cost you $5,000 - $10,000 in components. You could buy a used EV for that price.

9. Biopete

Biopete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Everyone. Yeah I'm pretty much coming to the conclusion that ultimately a new battery pack is the long term simple solution. But i would like to see how long i can get out of an old pack. I ordered a grid charger from Maxx Volts. I read the threads about charging and discharging the individual cells over 2 weeks time and that is just not practical for me. If this grid charger doesn't work to balance new modules , I will just get a new pack.

For the last week i have been fine keeping my scanner hooked up and just clearing the code when it throws it. It didn't throw the code at all today. I wonder how long this can last. I have at least one backup car at all times so I'm not worried if i break down yet. Until i'm ready to go on a long trip.

If it comes time that a new battery makes sense, which it looks like it does for most people and probably me
    A) Can you buy all new modules and bus bars and build your own cheaper?
    B) Or where can you get the best price one? My dealer in Nashville said 4000 or 3500 with a shop account.

I'd appreciate some links. And i would drive to another state to save a grand on one if someone has a source.

Thanks again.

10. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your dealer sucks.
    Shop around.
    You should be able to get a better deal.
    You can save at least a grand on a new one.

11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Biopete,
    Just keep your eyes open on craigslist or local salvage yards for someone parting out a wrecked Gen 3. Buy the HV battery and use those modules to replace all yours at one shot. My recent scores: a low mileage 2011 prius battery pack today, a low mileage 2009 Camry HV battery 2 weeks ago, a 2008 Altima HV battery and a low mileage 2010 Prius HV battery 4 weeks ago. The Prii and Camry were wrecks being parted out and the Altima was a blown motor car. No cores required or desired. The batteries are out there if you look.

Edited the 2012 to be 2010 to show how bad my memory is. Too many batteries and not enough memory.

#11 TMR-JWAP, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Off topic, did you find the Camry pack to be degraded more than prius packs?

13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    JC,

All these packs except the Altima are still untouched. The Altima pack has been stripped down to the base, modules and clamps, but hasn't been through any cycling/testing yet. My plate has been full for a few weeks with life issues. Somehow, I've managed to squeeze in time for fast road trips to purchase them, but not work on them. LOL. it's so hard for me to pass on a good deal when I see it.

One weird thing is that the 2010 battery has all kinds of the aluminized heat reflective stuff on the top of the case. I've never seen that on any batteries before. The 2011 has nothing. The 2010 may actually be a 2011 also, as the date code on the module I can see is 169L. September 16, 2010, That may have been in a 2011 model year car.

#13 TMR-JWAP, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    m.wynn and JC91006 like this.
  14. Biopete

Biopete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    TMR-JWAP -- want to sell one of those packs? How much? What do you do with them?

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm sure he'll give you a deal but the drive.....holy moly

16. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I did a similar length drive to get a deal on my new Toyota pack yet never left Texas. :whistle:

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A lot closer than coming down here. And a much prettier drive, too! :)

18. Biopete

Biopete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah. It's only 6+ hrs from me. Not bad. I have to drive to DC in a couple months possibly. Not too far out of the way. Let me know TMR-WAP.

I got some new codes this morning. So my battery has been being confused in the morning it seems. I started it and it shows real low. Then goes to all green really fast. Today when i first took off I was adjusting the AC and it shut down , computer went crazy and threw a bunch of codes on various modules. Everything lost communication. Many faults have been triggered by the AC which is understandable as that is drawing a big surge from the battery pack. So I am hopeful that once the battery is straightened out I won't have any other computer or control module errors.

Codes i got on the HV Battery module :
    P0A80 -- Replace hybrid battery pack (*normal code i get now)
    U0100 -- Lost communication with ecm/pcm 'a'
    U0293 -- Lost communication with hybrid vehicle control system

Hybrid control system
    P3000 -- Battery control system (*Always get this when i get a battery code)
    U0100 -- Lost communication with ecm/pcm 'a'
    U0111 -- Lost communication with battery energy control module 'a'
    U0129 -- Lost communication with brake system control module

I waited a minute, started car and drove to a safe place to park and clear the codes. Then i went on too work and drove 20 miles without incident.

Hopefully my grid charger will come soon. I'm curious to understand these symtoms.

I'm going to check the state of charge of batteries when i park at night and in the morning before i start. I think that that should tell me something.

Do the prius brains get confused and can be reset?

Or is my battery just giving it so many mixed signals all the time that it does not get along with it and wants a divorce and a new younger model ? :)

To me I would think the prius brain could be a little more forgiving of weak batteries given the car is driving great and getting 47 mpg on my daily mixed commute. But I am no electrical engineer.

Thanks

19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, ASAP. When it gets weak, it can throw all sorts of codes. Don't go down the rabbit hole just yet, get the grid charger installed and give the reconditioning process a go.

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  20. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    +1 to what @fotomoto said. Do the grid charge first and asap. It may keep you going for quite a while.