1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new 2005 Prius Vs my (typical GM) 1998 Buick Regal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 05blackprius, Apr 14, 2005.

1. 05blackprius

05blackprius New Member

I paid MSRP for my Prius and no wait time at all, I shopped Friday 4/8/05 and the salesman told me a black Prius with option package 5 would be in soon. Exactly what I wanted. Put down a $500.00 deposit and took it home on Tuesday 4/12. Lucky me! He first said I was required to pay a $1000 over MSRP (popular car) but I talked him out of that by saying no to the deal and nearly walking away. He then said “What can I do to earn your business today?â€â€¦ blaaa blaaa blaaa, Salesmen need to sell cars, I believe consumers have more power in the price they pay than many think.

By the way, some nearby dealers told me they'd be willing to cut a bit off of MSRP but no others had a car I wanted in stock or coming in. Minimum wait time estimated: 6 weeks, other dealers said 8 months, I guess it depends on the knowledge of the person you are talking to.

Here are some random thoughts;
    1) My Prius is 2 days old (98 miles at 43 mpg so far....fine with me considering it's not nearly broken in)
    2) Gas mileage - no comment necessary. I figure I'll save at least $450.00/year in gas and that's if gas prices stay the same (about $2.35/gal for 87 in New York)
    3) Style and comfort- I like both! Will miss the leather heated seats in winter.
    4) Ride - The Buick is a boat and doesn't handle well. The Prius rides smooth and takes corners better.
    5) Sound system - Buick wins. Sorry but anyone who thinks the JBL 9 speaker system "Rocks" really needs to hear music from a serious system - not that I consider the Buick's all that serious. The FM radio reception is poor in the Prius.
    6) Reliability - Unknown as yet. My Buick has 82000 miles and I never encountered a single problem with it. I was required to replace typical parts.
    7) Fun factor - Prius, hands down...the Prius is Fun to drive!
    8.) Price - Bought my new Buick $150.00 over invoice
    9) Pick up – Surprising how close they are! The Buick has 200 horses and I feel they accelerate at nearly the same rate.

Overall:
    I love the Prius, it's a great car. Will soon be or is known as a revolutionary classic and I am very proud to own one.

Oh, my other car now is a 2003 corvette and I don't even want to drive it. (For awhile anyway :D )

2. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

Hey, I'm also on long island, in bay shore. I have the 2004 prius and same package also. Where are you located?

3. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    First, I love my Prius... it is the most fun and "best" overall car I've ever owned.

Second, (and the GM bashers on here don't like to here any positives about U.S. automobiles) there were some things on my ex-car, a 1997 Pontaic Grand Prix GT that were simply "better."

The GM bucket seats were more comfortable, electric, adjustable on all axis, and heated leather.

The tilt steering wheel in the GP was far more useful than the Prius'.

The JBL "premium" sound system is a premium joke compared to the Delco.

Except for the usual suspect brakes and tires, my GP had 150,000 basically maintenance-free miles. It was, until the Prius, the "best" overall car I'd ever owned. IT even had a stainless steel exhaust which never needed a muffler.

Still, given a choice between the two, I'd take my Pri.

http://www.w8kc.com/priusmileage.htm

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is *nothing* wrong with a Buick car. First of all, they appear to be the most reliable Domestic car. My folks have bought Buick their entire lives and have always had good luck.

Second, the two companies target completely different buyers. Especially with the LeSabre Celebration Edition my folks bought new in 2003 "It's our last car!"

Well, they said that around 10 years and 3 cars ago. Whatever ...

Despite getting less than half the average fuel economy of my Prius, especially in city driving, I really *like* driving their LeSabre. Here is why:

1. That soft floaty ride is really nice over frost heaves and potholes.
    2. Way better highway tracking stability. You can drive with one finger
    3. Big comfy seats.
    4. More adjustments for seat and steering wheel.
    5. Enormous trunk
    6. When I drive it by myself, I feel like I'm in a Pimpmobile "Hey baby, wanna date?"

The 3.8 litre V6 appears to be durable too. One thing that impresses me is that if the oil pressure relief spring ever hangs up, it's fairly easy to take off the oil filter adapter housing and put in an oil pump rebuild kit. All external.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my Prius too. But you do have to admit that Buick does a pretty good job for their target buyer.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I traded in a '98 Regal for Priapus. My wife drives an '03 Regal. For a while, we were a 2-Regal household. My Regal had just shy of 100k miles and I know that it was good for another 100k. My wife doesn't want to get rid of her Regal. Other than the mileage, I enjoyed the car. If the Prius had fallen through, I was really eyeing the new LeCrosse.

But in the end, I wanted a car that makes a statement other than, "I'm retired." I wanted a car that says more about being environmentally responsible, curbing our reliance on foreign oil, and advancing technology. So I bought Priapus.

So other than mileage, Regals are respectible cars. Speaking of mileage, check out this comparison:
    http://www.geocities.com/tonypschaefer/Pri...ck_vs_Prius.htm

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I junked a 90 Century for my Prius.

It had bench seats that leaned way too far back, aggravating my already injured spine. I replaced the alternator 3 times in 6 years. Replaced the battery once, rack and pinion, tie rods, tie rod ends, and other assorted steering components that wore out... and had it repainted due to the faulty clear coat they used that model year.

When the Prius finally came, it was really bad: had 2 dead cylinders (V6 engine) and a dead mass airflow sensor. I refused to replace anything else. I had it for 6 years and it only had 140K on it when I junked it.

Forget Buick. Glad to be rid of that thing!

7. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I traded in a '94 Regal, so I'll chime in.

The Buick had the following good points:
    1) No backtalk acceleration. I was the king of onramps and lane merges. No one expects a Buick sedan to kick nice person, so that extra unsuspecting delay on their part means the mid-range accel put them in my rear-view mirror in no time, every time.
    2) Ride comfort, with exception below.
    3) Freeway tracking-- arrow straight, no wander, insensitive to bump steer.
    4) Trunk space, but would have been FAR better if the back seats folded.

On the down side:
    1) Crappy Delco stereo. No bass, no volume, no clarity at all. All proprietary, of course, with unique dash outline, so no aftermarket improvements possible without trashing the dash.
    2) Ride on cupped freeway lanes means a violent shaking of the driver's head and neck. Very tiring at any speed over about 50mph. The 405/5 from LA to San Diego was brutal.
    3) Dependability problems. Brakes were fixed under warrantee, but three alternators and a power steering pump later, it still whistled and ran batteries dead often. Some mechanics said it was bad grounds, but they never found them. Serpentine belt tensioner gave out once, took the alternator with it, and was about to fail again. Mechanics said rear exhaust manifold cracks were a regular problem on the 3.8, but mine never did (it never overheated, probably a precipitating cause for many).
    4) Seat comfort-- my back would ache after each hourlong commute. The seat cannot be adjusted for comfort, despite 6-way power. Far too reclined, so your arms and neck ache from craning forward. No leg room, even when seat was all the way back, and no dead pedal, just an angled wheel well that prevented ankle comfort.
    5) Lack of rear seat legroom despite length of car.
    6) Shitty mileage (usually under 20).

The Prius took car of most of the faults, thoug introduced one problem:
    1) Much more comfortable seat, though wheel tilt is useless--a telescoping column would have done wonders.
    2) Better back seat legroom.
    3) More useful trunk, since the seats fold.
    4) Mildly better stereo.
    5) Poor freeway/wind stability
    6) Great mileage, of course.
    7) So far, so good on reliability

Options make the car satisfying (air bags, HID, Nav, VSC), but are secondary the the basics above.

8. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Way back in the day I used to have a '77 Olds Cutlass Supreme V6 (The "Gutless") which was replaced by an '81 Olds Delta 88 Royale Brougham which came with seats that must have been designed by the Marquis de Sade himself. There is absolutely nothing about either car that is better than the Prius, and that includes rear seat legroom in spite of the outlandish length of the cars. Once I got sick and tired of the horrendous reliability and high repair and operating costs of these cars I bought two Acura Integras in succession. Although the Integras accelerated and handled better than the Prius I don't really find myself missing that. The ony thing that I truly miss from the Integras are the seats, which were VERY comfortable compared to the driver's seat in the Prius. And I sometimes somewhat miss the sunroofs too.

- Bill

9. 05blackprius

05blackprius New Member

Interesting, those that disliked the buick/olds/gm are comparing the Prius with older generations and those with more pro GM comments are commenting on the new (post 1997), much improved models.

Buick certainly didn't rank number 2 in JD powers customer satisfaction survery (if it existed) in 1990.

The more I drive my Prius the more I enjoy it. Wow, 135 miles now!

Still have not driven the vette since I got this car.

10. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm sure that GM has significantly improved their product since I owned some of their cars, but I was so thoroughly disgusted with their products and so very pleased with the Japanese cars that I don't see myself buying another GM product anytime soon. I have rented a couple of GM products recently, most recently a 2004 Cavalier for one day just prior to picking up my Prius, and even though I cannot comment on its long-term reliability, its comfort, handling, interior space, ergonoics were simply awful and I asked myself why anybody besides a rental agency would ever want to buy one of these in light of the alternatives that are available. I also rented a Buick LeSabre ('03 or '04; not sure) for an evening last year, and it was not nearly as bad as the Cavalier. I found it to be very spacious and for the most part very comfortable, but it too was something I could not see myself wanting to own.

- Bill

11. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

So what did GM do with the highly JD Power-ranked Regal this year?

Discontinued it.