1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My New C - 146mi trip w/scangage

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Mr Incredible, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Got the new C yesterday, late afternoon. Rode around some, went to a Thai restaraunt, and came home and read the manual. Here are some things I experienced since this time yesterday...

Dealership didn't have it together. Neither did we. Wife and I did not take inventory as we would have had we been turning over a safe full of classified information. We should have. The dealership was chaotic. Chain of command was lengthy and varied. We were so busy keeping straight with all their missteps, miscues, leave-outs, and multilayered negotiations that we missed some things of our own. They were taken care of today and will be fixed this week. Among the items:
    -Left out locking lug nuts.
    -Left out ashtray cup.
    -Lost key code tab. (we did get three key fobs, though)
    -Chip in the windshield on the lengthy trip here (replaced this week)
    -VIP security add-on paid for but not installed.
    -We got some relief from the high mileage, but not a tremendous amount. We'll live.

The dealership is in chaos from a large number of new people, haphazard training, extensive remodeling, working in a trailer complex next door, along with a multi-level/multi-arm negotiation structure. I suppose that's part of the plan, keeping the customer from getting a toe-hold.

The trip today was 146 miles. Cruised at 65 mph both ways. Even though the cruise control was set at 65, the rpm varied a lot with wind and elevation change. It varied from a a low of 1600 to a high (on cruise) of 28xx rmp. Max rpm was 4825 on an entry ramp run.

I put in my scangage beforehand and set it up as best I could. It was always close, but never quite at the same mileage and miles as the car was. It varied from 7mpg on tank average to about .4 mpg at 80 miles. The third fill up is usually the one that brings things together with the accuracy.

I stopped for mcnuggets and came back home.

The ECO thing said 146.x miles. The odo said 144.4 miles. Scangage said 144 miles. The odo and a calculator said 45.14 mpg. Scangage said 45.12 mpg. The fillup was 3.311gal.

The trip north was mostly dry, with wind coming from the right rear. The trip south was largely wet, lots of rain and heavy rain, with wind from the left front. By the end of the first half of the trip the car and scangage were .4 mpg apart. The trip back they were much farther apart.

One gas pip dropped at 60 miles. The second pip dropped at about 100 miles. I didn't see a third pip leave before fill up.

Steering is dull and lifeless. The stock tires follow rain grooves a lot. The ride is more bumpy than probably many would think appropriate, but it's better than my Z28, my truck, and the '89 CRX I just got rid of. I can live with it.

The turning radius is quite wide with the 195/50r16 tires & wheels. I've already heard that said, and I concur. It does still do a U-turn in the W-Mart parking lot to snag an empty spot. Just maybe not as forgiving as the lesser tires might be.

The C and wind do not get along. Add in the rain grooves and a pouring rain and it turned a pleasure cruise into a three hour tour.

One word - RAIN-X. Get it. Use it. The way the wind comes over the bow breaks rain drops apart and they land like a spray. Real spray makes it even worse. I've used Rain-X on my truck windshields and was able to continue driving when other people were pulling off the road...and I didn't even have my windshield wipers on. It's awesome stuff, and I think it should be in every C's toolbag.

Speaking of toolbags, there is little to no room for any tools around the spare tire. The only room left with those styrofoam inserts is around the outside edge and maybe underneat the spare. I fit in a few small items and a pair of jumper cables. That's about it. I think my toolbag will have to sit in the footwell in the rear.

The spare tire was at 40psi. Should be 60. Fixed that. Tires went to 40f/38r. That may be part of why the car was skittish in the wet and on rain grooves. I will maybe see about that at some point.

Wind noise on the highway is pronounced.

The stereo is sufficient. I may be able to do without a sub. Maybe get one later when people try more things with it.

I'm 6'2" and 240lbs. There was sufficient room in the drivers seat for me. Not the most comfortable I've been, but lightyears from some of what I've had to put up with. I'm sufficiently happy.

The brakes are AWESOME.

The headlight pattern is very good.

I put the rear seats down and took off the headrests. The rear window is simply small. The side mirrors are big enough to put a 3" convex mirror on each side. I like those things and have been using them for many years. I found a blind spot right behind my left ear big enough to hide an extended cab 3/4 ton truck. The mirrors will be added ASAP.

The dead pedal area is there, but there's no rubber pad on it. Gotta make one or find one at the U-Pull It yard. Might have to pay for a new one if I can find one on the web. Then I'd have to decide the best way to keep it in place.

The carpet is cheap, cheap, cheap.

Fit and finish has been outstanding. No rattles or squeaks.

All in all I'd call this a sweet little ride. There are more things to life than becoming ate up with getting the absolute best MPG possible. This ride keeps me amused when I've got my head out of the ECO-Meter. 4 thumbs up.

2 people like this.
  2. R11

R11 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd guess the taller/less stiff sidewalls of the 65 series 15's would probably be a bit better with the wear grooves in the road. Even with all your quibbles it sounds like you're still a pretty happy camper!

ron

3. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds good, congrats and hope everything goes well!