1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new favorite flower

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Jul 10, 2009.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Today while hiking (I'm in the Rockies near Canmore, AB ) I saw a flower I've never seen before: the Western Wood Lily. It officially displaces the Alpine Forget-Me-Not as my favorite flower. I didn't have my camera with me (I have not been carrying it this week, on account of rain) but Google has images here. They do not do it justice, however. They may help you identify it if you've seen it, but they entirely miss the beauty of the flower.

2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Prairie Moon Nursery, from where I purchase my native plants and seeds, has deemed this plant worthy of a "beautiful" comment. A comment not worthy of the hundreds of other native plants they sell. Thanks for giving me something to look forward to.

Lilium philadelphicum - Prairie Lily (Seed)

3. bevspark

bevspark Toyota, Major Sponsors of The

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    Daniel, It looks a lot like the Lilium we have in Australia. It is commonly used in cut flower arrangements from our local florists.
    Doing a little more research, they are Native all over the Northern Hemisphere.
    They are probably grown here in glass houses for the Australian market.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It reminds me of the Tiger Lily that we have around here. I've never met a lily that I didn't like (including Lilly in high school, but that's a different story).

Tom

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They are indeed beautiful Daniel. :)

Flowers in general are simply amazing! From the tiny vernal pool endemic Downingia bicornuta (horned-downingia) to giant Amorphophallus titanum (corpse flower), they are all beautifully complex and amazing.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah, I bet

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For some reason, I find the open center intriguing. Other flowers are like a cup that would hold water if you poured it in, but the Western Wood Lily is open at the center. It makes me think it is holding its arms and hands out over its head, saying, "Look how wonderful this place is!" And the places we saw it were wonderful indeed.

Today was my last day of hiking here. Tomorrow I leave to return home for a break before returning to B.C. for more hiking. Last year I spent 7 weeks hiking. This year I cut it back to four weeks.

Saw one bear from the car, but none while hiking. Lots of bear sign, but no bear. We have seen coyotes and mountain sheep (from the car), and moose (from the lodge). I saw a pileated woodpecker at the lodge. And several chipmunks while hiking.

No photos. Due to the threat of rain nearly every day I have not been carrying my camera. I never get tired of hiking, but the photos end up being all the same, so I have less and less interest in carrying the camera.

8. bevspark

bevspark Toyota, Major Sponsors of The

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The best photo is the one in your memory, sometimes it fades over the years, but you will always remember it.