1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new iPhone X doesn't work with my 2010 Prius bluetooth. My iPhone 6s worked fine for years.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Gordonzzz, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Gordonzzz

Gordonzzz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My new iPhone X doesn't work with my 2010 Prius bluetooth. My iPhone 6s worked fine for years. My iPhone X works fine with my wife's 2013 Prius and other bluetooth devices. I've worked with Apple and they say it is Toyota's fault.

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another reason not to get an iPhone X. If the BT protocol has changed from 2010, it’s possible the iPhone X doesn’t use the old protocols, but I’d not know how to check that. I’d say it’s Apple’s fault as you can’t do updates for a car but phones are updated all the time with fixes and patches.

With the direction Apple is going, I don’t plan to upgrade from my iPhone 7.

3. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Can always check your Toyota dealer and see if there is an update for your vehicle. I doubt it would even cost you anything to have it done.

4. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That's weird. I have no problems with my 2010 working with my iPhone X. Do you have JBL with navi?

5. Spooled

Spooled Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    make sure you arent "transferring contacts"
    unair and repair your device and say no when promoted

6. jgabrielli

jgabrielli New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here's the fix that worked for me. In my case my new iPhone X has transferred over the all of the ID info from my older 6, including the generic name "iPhone". I suspected this might cause problems if all of the BT pairing info is different, but the name and any other superficial ID stuff is the same as a device already registered to the Prius. Here's what I did that fixed it for me.

You'll need to both unpair from the Phone connect settings, and then unregister the old iPhone from the Bluetooth Audio devices settings. To get to those settings you need to go to Setup->Audio->Bluetooth. Once that's done, before I paired it again, I did change the name of the phone in the General->About settings. That might be more superstition than anything real, but I did suspect that the device names being identical had something to do with the inability for my new iPhone X to be able to work with BT audio. At this point, pair the phone normally via the Phone connect on the Prius. Then once this is done, go back into the Setup->Audio->Bluetooth settings and tap to register a new device. It took a few secs and then it indicated that the pairing was successful. I hope this works for anyone having the same issue.
    Cheers

HeavyFooted3SGTE, n23, padroo and 3 others like this.
  7. sahster

sahster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This totally worked! I’ve been stumped for many months... almost gave up trying. Thanks for the instructions!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. esskay

esskay Junior Member

I upgraded from an iPhone 6S to a iPhone X, restoring a backup of the 6S onto the X, similar to jgabrielli. However, I also changed the name of the phone when I set it up. I used the 6S for years with my Prius (2006). When I tried to connect the new X to the Prius, it failed. I tried to register it anew in the Prius bluetooth settings, but it again failed, showing an error message that it was unable to connect.

Even though the name of the new iPhone X was different than my previous phone, I deleted the old iPhone profile from the Prius and tried to connect again. Once again, it failed with an error message.

I was about to give up when I noticed that the Prius bluetooth screen has an entry to rename the Prius bluetooth connection (default on mine was "HANDSFREE" IIRC). I renamed it and tried registering a new phone on the Prius bluetooth settings screen. SUCCESS! I had to enter the passcode on my iPhone X, then it was good to go!

So, I'd suggest to anyone having problems, try deleting your old iPhone profile, then rename both your iPhone and your Prius bluetooth connection, and re-register your new iPhone.

ETA: My Prius is a gen 2 but this thread came up when I was googling the issue.

9. gertsprius

gertsprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am having a very similar problem. My iPhone 7 plus worked fin with my 2012 and then I got the new XS Max iPhone. Now its like the signal cuts out all the time, I have talked to Apple as well and they say the same thing! It is very frustrating when i am trying to listen to music and its like a CD is skipping! (but its bluetooth) WTH!!!

10. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You guys have all the excuses to get a brand new Prius, don't blow it.:)

11. Spinwmts

Spinwmts New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys/gals. Thought I'd share my similar (but slightly different) problem and solution:

Got a iPhone Xr recently. First attempt to connect the the Bluetooth was "successful". However, I realized in no time that I had no sound. The phone and car both showed connected but the sound source menu on the phone only showed an option for the iPhone. So I tried everything above with no luck. Then under the Audio sub-menu in the SETUP, there was an option to connect to Bluetooth Audio. So I followed the steps to pair it through this menu which was similar only with a passcode of 0000 and it worked right away.