1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My New Kitchen!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Freedom, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The kitchen renovation is finally DONE!! (Well, there will be an hour’s worth of work in the morning, but heck, after all these weeks, what’s an hour, right?)

This is what the kitchen looked like on Sept 22, 2008.

The range side. Note the “fake†brick back splash and the fact that there is NOTHING at the left side of the range (no counter!).
    [​IMG]

The sink side. The cabinets were really in bad shape, had gouges in some of them especially the lower ones. The main ceiling light in front of the sink is history, as is the soffit.
    [​IMG]

How it looks now. Range side.
    [​IMG]

Sink side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got a new dishwasher and garbage disposal; the old ones were extremely noisy! The range and fridge will remain for now. When they get replaced, they will be white to go with the new color scheme. The range hood will have to be replaced when the range gets done. Not for a while, I hope!

Some of the tile murals. The grout is a deep blue, to coordinate with all the murals.
    This one is Stained Glass Fruit. I have several accent tiles as well.
    [​IMG]

This is Tuscan Window Vineyard. Again, I have a few accent tiles from this.
    [​IMG]

More to come!

2. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is the lovely mural behind the range, I had rope tile installed to frame it. This is “Brillian Blue Moment, “ by Sharie Hatchett Bolhmann.
    [​IMG]

It is a scene from the Amalfi Coast, looking South.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are also 2 unrelated accent tiles.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ve gained lots of counter space, under cabinet lights, and a bit more cabinet space. The ceiling lighting makes a HUGE difference to this room, which is a center room in the house with no windows to the outside. The sink has one huge bowl, just right for bathing pets, and a smaller bowl with the disposal hook up. The dogs got their baths in the “new†sink a few days ago. They fit fine, much to their dismay, lol.

[FONT=&quot]The counter top on the sink side came as all one piece! The new counter is Corian, color is Cobalt, a deep blue with small white flecks in it. [/FONT]
    We also got matching Corian switch plates, and handles for all the cabinets and drawers. The demolition was on Sept 23rd, and we only just finished today. I am SO glad this project is over!
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice, you're obviously proud to have a great space to work in....what's for dinner??

4. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    LOL. yes I LOVE to cook. The original owners, the wife hated cooking; and she raised 3 children! So this is grand now.

Since last Thursday when all the basics were in place, I've made Beef Stew, Pot Roast, Pasta with Meat Sauce (with tomatoes from my own garden!) Those 6 weeks with no kitchen were tough on me, lol!

5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's lovely! and you did it so fast!! I'm impressed.

When we remodeled our house, we didn't actually change out most of the kitchen (the entire walls, wiring, plumbing, flooring, lighting, yes... but the cabinets are original), as we decided that we would tackle that monster later. An easy formica countertop, and vinyl flooring is all we did, besides painting the cupboards. We've yet to make a decision on how, exactly, we want to change it (our remodeling involved the entire house, foundation to roof -- the kitchen would have been just "too much").

6. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow ..... what an excellent improvement in both appearance and function. You should be very proud of your work!!! :)

... Brad

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fabuous! Great job. And I love the tile.

Have you considered a microwave/hood combo over the stove when you do it? That's what I did. There are a lot of great refrigerators to choose from when you decide. When I replaced mine, I got one with a freezer drawer on the bottom. I don't go in there often so my stooping has been greatly reduced. I have a very old kitchen, so when I redid mine, I went for a vintage stove. My Mom got one of those modern ceramic/glass flat top burner ones. Real easy to clean.

Congrats.

When are we all invited over for dinner?

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Nicely done... i can't wait to redo mine, but it'll probably be a few more years - i've still got other projects that come first... like the back deck, the siding, the windows, and the doors (all 7 internal and 3 external). But once all of that is done, it'll be the kitchen cabinets, counter, sink, backsplash, and tile. then the same in the bathrooms. And then i'll probably move and start all over again. lol!

9. perryma

perryma New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The cabinets look great! It is nice to see someone put their own personal touch to things and make it "homey"-it looks like a place for great food and lots of talking. We just vinyl-ed all our floors last year and it took forever but we love it what with all the animals that tend to wind up in our house . (The kids can play slip and slide even in the winter). I hope your kitchen creates lots of memories.

10. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thank you, everyone. I really am enjoying this new kitchen!

Godiva: the fridge I have now has the freezer at the bottom, with the slide out drawers inside, and yes I do like that style! Now the microwave/hood combo . . . I prefer to have a landing place for the microwave. Having to hold the darn thing to get it out and down wouldn't be too convenient here.

11. willicooper1

willicooper1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow.............you have done amazing work..........its apressiable..........

12. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hyo.... psst, hey Hyo... is "apressiable" in the Canadian dictionary? :D Hi willicooper1, welcome to Priuschat! :welcome:

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like those lights under the cabinets. Change them to LED if you can afford.

Question: Why do you keep the knife-set next to the stove instead of the sink? I have mine next to the sink where the cutting board is and the washing is done easily.